Need help deciding, Why a Tacoma over a full size truck?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm calling BS on this. There are a ton of parking spots my Tacoma fit in the my Tundra doesn't even come close to.

Overlanding to Starbuck's with the BMW motorcycle adventurers? Cool.

No parking problems over here. If I'm lucky, no parking spots anywhere I go.

Poorly maintained roads with tree branches reaching into them, are my pet peeve. Seems that overlanders no longer carry tree trimmers or chainsaws any more. Some road and trail maintenance used to be part of ''leave no trace''. But I guess everyone just uses the trails now and never maintains them.

nickw

Adventurer
I think they're selling their locking hubs but it doesn't make sense because you'd have to get out to turn them.
"Automatic" locking hubs.....aka, so you DON'T have to get out and turn them....hence the quote "get out without getting out" :)

nickw

Adventurer
Quick search came up with this. Whether true or not, don’t know.

“Okay P.I. retards! Here's what I found out: I first contacted John Rush (owner of John's 4x4) in Boulder, CO. He actually has this exact Warn poster on his showroom floor. Here is what he said: "Craig, I do not know where this was taken but I do know that it is a "cropped" picture. The trail was wider than what the picture shows. John Rush" === I also contacted Warn, and here is what they said: "Craig, That was not an actual trail rather than just crafty placement of a vehicle on the side of a forest service road up in the North Cascades (Washington) assisted by some photo editing. Todd Wright Warn Technical Service Representative" === No word from either on the age of the picture.Here's what we need to do now: Find someone in Washington to look at old DMV databases for the license plate "PE 1585." Find out who owned the Jeep and call the dude to ask them for more info. Any takers?I'm curious " Debate over:wave:
Like I said earlier, I remember seeing that a good 30+ years ago and it kinda freaked me out and left a huge impression on me at the time and on/off over the years. I'd love to know! I'm sure somebody from the offroad community up in WA may have some ideas. It looks fairly dry & rocky and higher alpine, so guessing less St. Helens and more Leavenworth or Lake Chelan....

tacollie

Glamper
Oh yeah!!!! My MT bike and feet can for sure go where the apparently magical TACO cant go. And my former Sequoia and now Expedition gets me to those places more efficiently than any Taco ?
That's half the reason we stepped up to a full size. I'm over spending 2 hours in a truck and only covering 1.5 miles. I just need to get my splitboard and mtb to where the fun starts.
Overlanding to Starbuck's with the BMW motorcycle adventurers? Cool.

No parking problems over here. If I'm lucky, no parking spots anywhere I go.

Poorly maintained roads with tree branches reaching into them, are my pet peeve. Seems that overlanders no longer carry tree trimmers or chainsaws any more. Some road and trail maintenance used to be part of ''leave no trace''. But I guess everyone just uses the trails now and never maintains them.
Gross. Starbucks. My full-size truck won't fit in the parking lot at my wife's work(probably not a bad thing since she works out patient and half those people selfmedicate before their appointment). Moto guys still do trail work. I'm woth you. More people from all activities need to contribute more to trails.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Oh yeah!!!! My MT bike and feet can for sure go where the apparently magical TACO cant go. And my former Sequoia and now Expedition gets me to those places more efficiently than any Taco ?
That's half the reason we stepped up to a full size. I'm over spending 2 hours in a truck and only covering 1.5 miles. I just need to get my splitboard and mtb to where the fun starts.
Base camping is why I bought a truck in the first place. But I know we're doing "overland" wrong since we still fit fine in a mini truck. The improved highway ride of the Tacoma isn't completely unappreciated though, so I may yet understand why we 'Mericans love oversized, overstuffed, overloaded everything.

D

Deleted member 9101

And if your friend decides to go into the earth moving business and needs to tow a D9, I doubt their puny Ram will be happy.

What's the point of this type of anecdote?

The point is his Tacoma was rated to be able to pull a 5500 lb trailer, yet the reality was quite different.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
"Automatic" locking hubs.....aka, so you DON'T have to get out and turn them....hence the quote "get out without getting out" :)
Unreal. I just lock them up when I hit dirt and reverse the procedure before I hit asphalt. Maintenance is higher for sure but I have them done every 25K. I have a very skilled friend who's shop I use but I'm fortunate. I have a manual transfer case lever too. I special ordered it and the salesguy at Dave Smith said "are you sure?" If you can't get out of the vehicle to turn the hubs maybe you should wear a catheter so you can pee in the truck?

nickw

Adventurer
Unreal. I just lock them up when I hit dirt and reverse the procedure before I hit asphalt. Maintenance is higher for sure but I have them done every 25K. I have a very skilled friend who's shop I use but I'm fortunate. I have a manual transfer case lever too. I special ordered it and the salesguy at Dave Smith said "are you sure?" If you can't get out of the vehicle to turn the hubs maybe you should wear a catheter so you can pee in the truck?
I'd buy a manual hub, manual tcase rig if I could. I know Ford had the 'added' option of the push button tcase over the manual one on the F250 up until 2018 I think.

phsycle

Adventurer
The difference between a midsize and full-size isn’t that much these days. We’re talking ~5” Difference in width, maybe 12” avg length. Super tight trails (and parking stalls) are still much more manageable in a midsize, though most full-size will fit. I had just done Black Bear Pass thinking no way I’d ever take a full-size down, only to find a video of a 3/4 ton Ram, F150, and a Raptor at 87” wide going down the trail.
But I will say some parking spots, I would’ve parked a Tacoma with no problems but would not want to attempt in a full-size. Maybe it’d fit but I don’t want to do 30-pt turns or get riddled with door dings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94