Need help deciding, Why a Tacoma over a full size truck?

shade

I was asking myself a similar question two years ago... The only thing the Tacoma did better than an F150 was fit into a smaller parking space. In every other way it lost to the F150... Even when it came to fuel economy.
Sad, but true. Size is its main advantage over a fullsize pickup. If that doesn't matter, and there's no subjective reason that draws you to a Tacoma, an F-150 probably makes more sense.

KWJohnston

One advantage I feel the Tacoma has is reliability. The F150 for the last decade and a half has been up and down regarding both their gas and diesel motors.

On paper the Tacoma has better approach, departure, and breakover angles. I would think this would give them the advantage over the F150 on tough trails. Or is the difference not as great as I imagine?

Also I mentioned driving on sand beaches to fishing spots. Is the lighter weight of the Tacoma an advantage here?

Thanks for all the responses

shade

One advantage I feel the Tacoma has is reliability. The F150 for the last decade and a half has been up and down regarding both their gas and diesel motors.

On paper the Tacoma has better approach, departure, and breakover angles. I would think this would give them the advantage over the F150 on tough trails. Or is the difference not as great as I imagine?

Also I mentioned driving on sand beaches to fishing spots. Is the lighter weight of the Tacoma an advantage here?

Thanks for all the responses
On tough trails where clearance and size can make a difference, the Tacoma has an edge, but an F-150 can do a lot, especially after some suspension work. The lighter weight may be beneficial, too.

If those things matter enough to you, and the potential downsides of a smaller truck aren't problematic, go for the Tacoma. You really can't go very wrong either way.

tacollie

Glamper
The Tacoma is better off-road and probably more reliable. Personally I would pick the F150 for the comfort, power, and payload. I've owned 4 Tacomas. A year ago I replaced one with a Tundra I don't see myself owning another Tacoma 2nd or 3rd gen Tacoma.

tacototheworld

I would also add that I chose a Tacoma because It came with a manual tranny, yeah I’m old school and like the control. Also it was important to buy a truck that has not had a major recent overhaul. I’d rather have one that’s a little behind the times rather than one that’s on the bleeding edge

kpredator

Adventurer
I’ve got a f 150 with 310k.
It hauls a stripped down popup
Original motor,rebuilt the transmission
Even though it hadn’t shown any problems.
I wanted a reliable beater for Baja.
Either truck will be fine,have you
Test driven both?

GTV

First gen Tundra. Bigger than the taco, smaller than the F-150.

This is a very subjective question. Drive them first, you’ll know what you can live with and without. For me the seating position and visibility of the Taco were abysmal, total deal breaker.

Dalko43

Explorer
First gen Tundra. Bigger than the taco, smaller than the F-150.

This is a very subjective question. Drive them first, you’ll know what you can live with and without. For me the seating position and visibility of the Taco were abysmal, total deal breaker.

Agreed.

Also the 3.5l v6 really isn't step forward from the previous 4.0l v6...at least in terms of power delivery. Fuel efficiency wise it has some marginal advantage. But it needs to rev high in order to provide usable power...doing so pretty much negates the mpg advantage and, quite frankly, makes the whole driving experience a bit tiresome (louder engine noises compared to the 4.0l v6).

The Tacoma platform itself is solid as a rock...but the seating position and engine just aren't where they need to be.

KWJohnston

Clarifying that I'm looking at used trucks, probably 2015 or older with 70k miles or so on em.

I appreciate everyone's input. It sure seems like I am being pointed in the direction of a full size. That's a real surprise to me because I always assumed a Tacoma was THE Overland truck!?

After looking at both, the positives I have for a Tacoma is that my wife feels more comfortable driving one because of the smaller size than a F150. Also I like the lower bed sides on the Tacoma. I'm a taller guy, but reaching over the side of an F150's tall bed is a stretch! The reliability reputation of a Toyota still has me on the hook as well....But I'm starting to lean F150.

I'm going to keep looking until I'm certain I make the right choice.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Agreed.

Also the 3.5l v6 really isn't step forward from the previous 4.0l v6...at least in terms of power delivery. Fuel efficiency wise it has some marginal advantage. But it needs to rev high in order to provide usable power...doing so pretty much negates the mpg advantage and, quite frankly, makes the whole driving experience a bit tiresome (louder engine noises compared to the 4.0l v6).

The Tacoma platform itself is solid as a rock...but the seating position and engine just aren't where they need to be.
Clarifying that I'm looking at used trucks, probably 2015 or older with 70k miles or so on em.

I appreciate everyone's input. It sure seems like I am being pointed in the direction of a full size. That's a real surprise to me because I always assumed a Tacoma was THE Overland truck!?

After looking at both, the positives I have for a Tacoma is that my wife feels more comfortable driving one because of the smaller size than a F150. Also I like the lower bed sides on the Tacoma. I'm a taller guy, but reaching over the side of an F150's tall bed is a stretch! The reliability reputation of a Toyota still has me on the hook as well....But I'm starting to lean F150.

Used you have about a 5-1 ratio of F150’s to Tacos. I like buying used and Tacos are near impossible to find unmolested clean stock for reasonable prices.

Dalko43

Explorer

Well if you're looking for a used (70k miles) truck, Tacoma will have better reliability. But if you're a taller guy, I'd match sure to test drive one and see how the seats feel for you. The seating position isn't ideal.

Tacoma was the overland truck....rest of the market got in on the fun.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Well if you're looking for a used (70k miles) truck, Tacoma will have better reliability. But if you're a taller guy, I'd match sure to test drive one and see how the seats feel for you. The seating position isn't ideal.

Tacoma was the overland truck....rest of the market got in on the fun.
False Dodge was the original only overlanding original truck there was. The Fords and GMs were too small. Ask any old timer Cattle rancher back in the day Dodge was basically the only truck capable of towing a stock trailer for many many yrs. Toyota wasn’t even making trucks then.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I feel like I can kind of chime in on this. While not a Tacoma, my wife’s daily driver is a Colorado ZR2 and my daily is a Ram Power Wagon. For around town and on tight trails, the ZR2’s size is a huge advantage. The ZR2 is easy to park, turn around, and get through tight places. That said, I wouldn’t trade my truck for hers as a daily driver. I prefer the bigger cab and ride height as well as the bigger truck bed and towing capacity.

For you, you need to decide what you really want and need out of a truck. I don’t like the seating position in the Tacoma, but that doesn’t mean it’s the wrong truck for you. I’d say try to drive the Tacoma and the Ford back to back, and let the trucks speak for themselves.

just my two cents.. dont underestimate the reliability and longevity of a toyota... other brands may be 'catching up' but there is a reason you see so many older toyotas on the road (and off road)... especially important when buying used imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles