Need help deciding, Why a Tacoma over a full size truck?

billiebob

False Dodge was the original only overlanding original truck there was. The Fords and GMs were too small. Ask any old timer Cattle rancher back in the day Dodge was basically the only truck capable of towing a stock trailer for many many yrs. Toyota wasn’t even making trucks then.
I never knew hauling a stock trailer was an overlanders goal...

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Driving small trucks, down tight trails, sure is.....

...as if such a thing even exists. It's a fantasy in more than half of the US, and nearly all of canada, IME.

I've got this:
pexels-photo-1008739.jpeg

or this:
Single_Track.jpg

.....and nothing in between for jeeps and taco's.

Let your destinations terrain, pick your ride.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Also I mentioned driving on sand beaches to fishing spots. Is the lighter weight of the Tacoma an advantage here?

Thanks for all the responses

Weight definitely factors in, especially on the beach. We hit the beach weekly and when it gets sporty, deep and soft the 3/4-ton diesels and heavier half-tons definitely struggle more than your Jeeps and mid-size trucks like the Tacoma. The mid-size doesn't see nearly the fuel economy impact in those conditions either when compared to the larger trucks. Now don't get me wrong, they can all get it done but size and weight play a role here without a doubt. Personally, when it comes to a truck I prefer a full-size, a 3/4-ton or 1-ton in particular because if I need a truck then I need it to do things a mid-size truck or SUV can't. Best of luck with your decision, depending on your needs it's hard to go wrong either way here.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I never knew hauling a stock trailer was an overlanders goal...
There was a time where going out into the boonies involved 2-3 weeks mules and horses. Yeah the modern “Overlander” concept is pretty silly before that it was just part of everyday life.

Today especially in North America vehicles as simple as Civics easily cover coast to coast.

shade

If the average American was not so damn FAT (excuse me "Obese") the new "Mid-Size" class truck would not be the same size as the "Full Size" truck of 20 years ago!
There's truth to that. Otoh, I believe at least part of what has driven the increase in midsize dimensions has been an effort to increase the utility of the rear seats; taking space from a 5' bed wouldn't go over well.

IME, seating adults in the rear is one area where there's no comparison between midsize & fullsize. I bought my Tacoma knowing that it was best suited to two up front. While I've managed to squeeze a third non-fat adult in the rear seat on long trips, it's not much fun back there.

MR. ED

Observer
I’d say to follow your heart...get the toyota and if for any reason you don’t like it you’ll be able to quickly sell it. Probably have a harder time selling the 150 quickly.
I had a tan 86 xtra cab which I LOVED. Sold it because I needed more room for kiddos. Been in full size since.... I still check out the Toyota section because they’re dear to my heart. I know there will come a time when I won’t need the big stuff and will pick up a tan 4 door taco. Can’t wait. Have fun looking around and enjoy the adventure.

KWJohnston

An answer to a question someone asked a while back. I think a small enclosed trailer (4x6 or 5x8) will be in my future. It will only be loaded with Fishing and Hunting gear, not heavy stuff. For occasional use how does the Tacoma 4.0 handle a trailer that size?

shade

An answer to a question someone asked a while back. I think a small enclosed trailer (4x6 or 5x8) will be in my future. It will only be loaded with Fishing and Hunting gear, not heavy stuff. For occasional use how does the Tacoma 4.0 handle a trailer that size?
No problem, especially if it doesn't created a high wind load. I've towed the largest Uhaul trailer cross-country with a heavy load, through mountains. Fuel economy dropped around 2 mpg, but other than that, it wasn't eventful. Manually downshift an automatic transmission if the torque converter unlocks.

nickw

Adventurer
A Tundra, F150, Ram ect. are all full size trucks.

I was just curious if you guys and gals could offer a different perspective as to the advantages of Tacoma over a full size.

IMO - if you don't need a smaller truck due to parking limitation, either at your house, in the city or a parking garage....Id go full size. The sight lines are worse than many of the smaller trucks (although the Tacoma doesn't have particularly good visibility in my experience) and their size is a big limitation in some of the smaller garages or urban settings. If I didn't have to deal with that stuff, I'd be in a F150 over my Ranger.

dman93

Adventurer
Lots of good advice here. I have a DCSB Tacoma and often find the 5’ bed too small. On the other hand, it’s already about 6” too long to fit in my driveway, and doesn’t always fit easily in parking spots in my urban neighborhood. However, my friend’s F150 SuperCab with 6.5’ bed seems huge by comparison, both in terms of cargo room as well as space it takes up parking and on trails. And the rear seating in the doublecab Tacoma is much more comfortable than the SuperCab Ford, despite having about the same space. Obviously a SuperCrew is far better than either. Finally, his 5.0 Coyote V8 returns about the same mpg as my 3.5 V6 (3rd gen) and feels much torquier. So, lots of variables and ultimately you have to decide what’s more important.

thezentree

pretend redneck
I have a 4Runner and a 08 Sierra. The 4Runner gets driven 95% of the time because it's easier to park, even if it is lifted and armored. I can't imagine trying to fit that pickup through some of the trails around here, even if it was seriously built. Tight turns and squeezing through trees would make it an absolute bear to 'wheel.

That said, the GMC is much more comfortable on long trips. Having a fullsize interior to spread out is great, and the seats are much more comfortable. Toyota seats are, well, Toyota seats.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I agree that the bigger the truck/suv the more comfortable they are over the long haul but the smaller, more compact mid-size trucks and suv's are much better around town and when on the trails. There is no one and done solution.

KWJohnston

After looking at multiple used Tacoma's and F150's lately, I'm probably going for the F150. I say probably because I have not found the exact truck I'm going to buy just yet. When the right deal pops up I'm ready to pull the trigger.

If I was looking for something just for my personal use to get me into Fishing and Hunting areas I would go with a Tacoma. I love the tight , nimble way that they handle. I feel like as a pure off road trail vehicle I would love it. Easy to turn around in tight areas, and with good ground clearance. For just me, the interior would hold whatever personal things I would carry, and the bed is sufficient to carry all the gear and dirty stuff. I REALLY wish I could get one just as a personal toy. The trouble is that like most people, my vehicle also has to work for the needs of the family.

The interior room of the F150 is massive. That makes it much better for the times I may have to load and unload my daughters car seat. I can imagine that in the future my trips outdoors may involve the three of us rather than just me. That may turn out to be a fantasy and if so I may regret not getting the Tacoma. If I'm honest.... the biggest reason in favor of the F150 is price. I see plenty of Crew Cab 4x4 F150's with decent mileage selling for thousands less than a Tacoma. If the prices were anywhere close to the same I would still be struggling with a decision. I'm not sold on the eco boost V6, so I plan on getting the V8. Just because it is a less complicated power plant.

If any die hard Tacoma fans want to talk me down off the ledge, I'm still willing to listen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior