Need GPS For Djibouti, Africa

taz223

ExplorationOutfitters.com
Hey all. I believe this is my first post. I am currently working as a civilian contractor for the military in Djibouti, Africa. I have found a site here in country of great interest to me, that I would like to visit. However, I don't have a GPS with me, and of course I can't talk any of the soldiers into loaning me theirs... :sombrero:

I don't want to spend a ton of money on a unit, I will if needs be, but would prefer not to. I have had NO luck thus far finding anybody that offers a GPS map for Djibouti. I'm not extremely familiar with GPS, so any help that anyone can offer would be great. I basically need something that will get me from point A to point B. Getting back is easy.

So I'm looking for a GPS unit that will be compatible with any map you guys can recommend for this area. The unit should preferably be waterproof, or at least able to withstand the rigors of bouncing around on the ocean. All I need to be able to do is program the coordinates I want to go to and follow. Nothing fancy.

Anyones input will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Matt

taz223

ExplorationOutfitters.com
Thanks for the link and info.

To add something to this question:

The GPS unit I have at home is just a cheap, bare-bones unit. I bought a cheap one to learn how to use GPS and so if I lost/destroyed it, no big deal. It doesn't have maps or anything like that on it, just simple coordinates/waypoints.

Would this unit work for what I'm talking about? Like I said, I don't intend to circumnavigate the globe... just need to get to point B. Any ideas?

gjackson

FRGS
If you have a computer that you can use with the GPS, then the easiest thing to do will be to download the OZI calibrated Russian topo maps from Madmappers:

http://www.madmappers.com/mapset.php?MS=182

The maps are free, though Ozi isn't. If you are using a Mac then MacGPS Pro will read the Ozi Russian maps and it isn't free either. Unfortunately Tracks4Africa doesn't have very good coverage in Djibouti (see attached pic).

What model is your GPS? Even bare bones units that can output NEMA can be used with computers for more advanced mapping.

cheers

Attachments

• T4A_Djibouti.jpg
    T4A_Djibouti.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 33

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz