Need good coffee for percolator

Skeeno

Wanna Be
I need some recommendations for a good store bought coffee for my percolator. I do not grind my own, so it has to come preground in a can. What do you guys recommend?

Falkon

Adventurer
I just picked up an REI coffee press for a camping trip last weekend. It works great, not cheap though. Just get water almost to boiling, put the grounds in the bottom and let steep for a few and press, viola coffee.

Falkon

Adventurer
D'oh! You were asking about coffee, not a percolator. I like 8 O'clock Italian roast myself.

CJCA

Adventurer
Not exactly preground in a can, but I buy Costco’s packages of coffee beans. I think the one I use is SF French Roast. They have maybe ½ dozen different beans. On the way out the exit, Costco has coffee bean grinders that have maybe a dozen different coarseness setting, from drip to perc and everything in between. I grind at about the 3rd or 4th level of coarsest setting for the French press. Only takes a couple of minutes to grind on the way out the door. Put in an airtight container when you get home.

You can do the same thing at most any large supermarket. Find a bean you like, grind at the store and put in an airtight container. Quick & easy. Great coffee!

Skeeno

Wanna Be
On the way out the exit, Costco has coffee bean grinders that have maybe a dozen different coarseness setting, from drip to perc and everything in between.
You can do the same thing at most any large supermarket. Find a bean you like, grind at the store and put in an airtight container. Quick & easy. Great coffee!

I like this idea. Thanks for the tip.

Hafwit

Adventurer
If you have Trader Joe's out there, they have a number of good coffees that can be had whole bean or pre-ground. If you like Southern-style coffee with chickory, they have a good one that is like Cafe du Monde. Cost Plus and Whole Foods markets have decent coffee too.

Cheers,
Greg

Skeeno

Wanna Be
I was mostly worried about getting a coarse enough grind, but I see that my local grocer has a grinder with a PERC setting, so I should be all set. Thanks guys.

steventexas

Observer
We too like the Costco deal.
Costa Rican is dark and earthy. I grind it for the home french press. Coarse.
I find when I am percolating coffee on the camp stove i do not keep track of time when the per starts because I'm doing other things and I like it strong anyway.
Good news is the coarse grind in an over perc situation does not produce a lot of sediment in the pot.

I also found a can at Walmart called something like Bustello. Bright yellow can from mexico and runs about 3 bucks. Humbling good it is.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I go for the Peruvian coffee when I'm buying good stuff. It seems like it isn't as bitter and doesn't leave as offensive of an after taste.

Beware of profanity.

Last edited:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Sounds like the OP has identified a solution, but I would also guess that pretty much any good coffee shop would grind beans to your specifications. We buy some of our coffee from a local shop that has a history of winning awards for their efforts, and while I imagine they gnash their teeth at the thought of us using one of their award winning roasts in a percolator, they will grind it that way for us.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I like '8 O'clock' or ARCO when using the perc o later. (isn't often anymore)

I finally bought a small grinder (110V) and just bring it with when I go. I use the inverter in my Jeep to power it.

I used to grind the beans at the store, problem was, to many people could not read the signs. They had 2 different grinders, one for 'Flavored' coffee, and one for regular coffee beans.

I personally don't like 'flavored' coffee, and when I used the grinder at the store, my coffee ended up tainted.

:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles