need feed back for which truck and pop up camper to buy

riso60a

I have been camping for 24 years with my suburban and its time to upgrade to a truck with a pop up camper.
I go to baja 2 ot 3 times a year and camping in the states with my wife.
that being said I have a budget of 70,000 total.
help and thank you

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Truck I would be thinking min. 3/4 ton. However 1 ton would leave more wiggle room if you travel heavy. Try out all the makes and see which one you like best.

I would personally lean toward a gas engine vs diesel as the diesel will eat up more of your payload.

Last edited:

gringo m

Observer
Truck I would be thinking min. 3/4 ton. However 1 ton would leave more wiggle room if you travel heavy. Try out all the makes and see which one you like best.

I would personally lean toward a gas engine vs diesel as the diesel will eat up more of your payload.
I disagree with less payload on a diesel. I believe they are the same, yet the diesel can tow much more weight, do to way more torque and hp.

shade

If you think you'll ever use it in cold weather, keep that in mind while shopping. It'd be easy to focus on Baja performance, only to wish it had a warmer cabin six months later. Food for thought.

Flhtruss

Observer
I disagree with less payload on a diesel. I believe they are the same, yet the diesel can tow much more weight, do to way more torque and hp.

Hello Gringo M
Vehicle payload and the maximum towable capacity are different. Trucks with diesel motors vs gas, diesel drive trains weigh more which reduces that vehicle payload. Hope this helps.

Russ

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
When I bought my truck, the diesels on the lot were well over 1000# heavier. You have to go up to a 350 to have the same cargo capacity of a gas 250. Diesels have much less payload. No single piece of your cargo, except the camper, weighs as much as the diesel, and it's extra batteries, extra alternator, extra........

I have 3100# cargo capacity. Any pop up camper will be well under that. Watch your option packages as well. Options have weight. F250 rear springs are a bit softer than 350. I hope to avoid the cost of Deavers.

Gas f250 xl fx4 ccsb with a fwc hawk camper is hard to beat, and within your budget. 40k for truck, 25+ for camper.

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Diesel 350/3500s are going to be real close to 4000# payload for a loaded out luxury truck. Mine is just under 3800# but has a heavy Laramie interior with a sunroof. On the Ram (not sure on the Ford) the long bed gets another 400# of GVW with a corresponding increase in payload.

It's nice not having to really worry about weight at all with the 3500. It's also nice getting almost the same mileage with a popup camper in the bed as empty with the diesel. I had an 8ft floor ATC popup when I first bought my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles