Need electrical help, trying to fit a sliding roof to my camper but so many wires!

Paddy

Adventurer
I've had this sliding roof in for a few years. It came out of a minivan. It has a lot of wires going to it and I have no idea how to make it work! I just want it to slide simply but I'm afraid that I may damage it if I start poking volts around and also have concerns that I would over run its travel and damage it. Can any of you smart guys take a look and see what you think?

Attachments

• IMG_4793.jpg
    IMG_4793.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4794.jpg
    IMG_4794.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4797.jpg
    IMG_4797.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4799.jpg
    IMG_4799.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4801.jpg
    IMG_4801.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4800.jpg
    IMG_4800.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4798.jpg
    IMG_4798.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 6

rex_1_mn

Observer
It looks like the green and black to the motor are proabably power. Reverse the wires on 12vdc and negative to reverse direction. The white and blue going into the gear mechanism are probably for travel switches up and down?

The gold box is a standard Omron relay. I can't find the black Omron box on google.

I would have to cut the wiring apart and draw the circuit to know for sure.

The plugs proabably went to power, up/down switches, and indicator lights.

Again just guessing. Spent all day chasing electrons don't have a lot of brain power left.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Get the wiring diagram from the vehicle it came out of, probably free on the webz...

86scotty

Cynic
Get the wiring diagram from the vehicle it came out of, probably free on the webz...

Yep, and go track down the sunroof switch from that same vehicle and figure out how to mount it somewhere. Simple with that. Hard without.

Paddy

Adventurer
Donor vehicle is unknown. I think Toyota or Mitsubishi minivan but really just a guess. I cut apart the loom and was able to free up the mechanism which had sat for so long it was jammed up. Also the motor clutch was too loose causing slip. Reversing green and blue in fact moves the roof! So that's good. My guessing is the relays are wired so that when the limit switch in the motor is triggered, it sends signal to relays that talk to each other and disable power for that direction but not the opposite direction. However I'm thinking at this point I can just time it so that I stop traveling it when it reaches the end because the mech seems to protect itself by slipping anyway. So, thank you! This roof is working now and I'm going to install it in my camper build! Will be great for starry nights and also roof access as it's huge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz