Need Bed rack advice

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
The next thing I plan to do to my 2015 DC short bed is to add a rack to haul my rtt and kayaks. I want to get one tall enough to clear my roof since my rtt is longer than my bed.

What do you all suggest? I am leaning towards the all pro expedition rack, but I am open to suggestions.
Jason

Sacmaster

Check out the Thule Xsporter. It is height adjustable so you can lower it when not in use. I'm considering one but don't have any 1st hand experience.

jgatliff

I have also seriously considered it, it is definitely cheaper than the all pro and work work for the tent or kayaks, but I'd rather have a full rack. The Palfrey Built is another option, but I think I prefer the options of the All Pro.

grace23

Tacoma bed rack

I have the Thule transporter rack, works well. It made it with my tent (Columbus) across the Mojave Road in fine shape, no problems. I have a 4 door Tacoma, 2013 4wd. Probably doesn't look as cool as some other racks, but it can really take the weight, plus I can take the uprights off when I'm not going off road. I had to fabricate the clamps for my tent, as those sold are for the narrower crossbars.

jgatliff

I really want a fixed rack, I looked at the Thule but decided against it. Measuring my bed and the antenna on the top of my truck it looks like I need a 23" tall rack. I might go with the Pelfrybilt since I can do custom height and it comes welded together already.

Somewhere in my searches I found a rack that has a Tie down system built into the rails, but now I can't find it. Was that an option on the All Pro?

jgatliff

It looks like I've made a deal with a fellow ExPo member to buy their Maggiolina Grand Tour RTT, I am looking forward to going and picking it up. Since I do not have a rack on my Tacoma yet I will have to mount it to my Tundra for the time being. No big deal but it does mean that I need to get a move on getting a bed rack for the Tacoma.

I have decided that I am going to put a front runner rack on top of the cab of the Tacoma and I would like for my bed rack to the the same height as the front runner. I really like the options of the All Pro rack but I like that I can order a custom height rack from Pelfreybilt.

In the meantime I can get the Thule Xporter rack to hold the tent and it will work great, except I really want a solid rack so I can mount some maxtrax and lights to it, maybe an axe and shovel in addition to the tent. I just hate to spend the money on the Thule knowing that it isn't ideally what I want. So I'm stuck at the moment. The bed rack needs to come next in the grand scheme.

I'll probably call Pelfreybilt on Monday and see if I can' they them to make me a custom rack with places to mount other items.
Jason

sfsmedic

Adventurer
Where do you guys see palfreybilt racks tall enough to clear the cab with an RTT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgatliff

I haven't seen one that tall, but you can order custom height racks from their website. It is one of the options on their ordering page.

snekvasil

Adventurer
Do you have the tools/skills/accessibility to make your own? You could customize it just the way you want...perhaps you've already thought of this option, but I thought I would throw that out there.

jgatliff

Unfortunately, I do not. I do some blacksmithing and a little wood work, but bending tube and modern welding are not something I am equipped to do.
Jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles