Need awning recommendations

Photobug

My truck has a large lumber rack over my camper shell. I want a shade awning of some type. Initially I thought of as big an ARB awning as I can put on there, but discovered the 270 degree and wing models here. Here is what I have found.

ARB Plain square awnings

Rhino same as OZ Tents
Basic 270 degree with a need for pole support $599 at e-Trailer

DARCHE USA Distributor
Grasshopper trading co
1712 Pioneer Ave suite 1867
Cheyenne Wy 82001
855 875 7755

Ostritch Wing / 30-Second Awning
https://www.ruggedbound.com/collections/frontpage/products/ostrich-wing-awning
$1480

Any other awnings I should consider? I like the Rhino Batwing but would be willing to spend more for a model that has a better selection of walls, screens and tents to chose from.

rayra

Expedition Leader
With a rack like that an awning setup that you can quickly clamp and unclamp from that rack would be real handy. But you'll want to use some sort of non-standard bolt / screw head to make theft difficult.

whole subforum for rooftop tents and awnings, lots of reviews and picture threads.
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/roof-top-tents-and-awnings.138/

I'm too broke / cheap for name-brand stuff, so I sewed my own. Made my own adjustable poles, too ;) About $150 total.

eta I've been thinking about making a batwing too, be real easy with fiberglass rods or even 1/2"dia EMT. This lightweight ripstop nylon or silnylon weighs almost nothing. www.ripstopbytheroll.com
Nice part of a batwing now that I have a rooftop solar setup is that I can open the awning and not block the panel.

awnings106.jpg

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
The Ostrich is pricey but very nice- saw one a month ago at a Rover event. Super windy and it remained solid- nice fabric as well!!

Photobug

The Ostrich is pricey but very nice- saw one a month ago at a Rover event. Super windy and it remained solid- nice fabric as well!!

Thanks guys for the info. I just added up the Ostrich with side walls and LED lights: $2400 but shipping is free.

Until I see the full package I really like i am tempted by the Rhino Batwing then make my own walls to a higher quality than Rhino offers with windows and doors. What i like about the 270 awnings is they all set up in 3 minutes or under which is way faster than my friend can set up her ARB. Even if I diy something, I think I would go with Cabelas adjustable poles. At that price I am not sure it is worth DIYing them.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cab...7ejVfg7CB7YuLg6yGVBoCwl8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I also bought a Rhino Batwing from ETrailer last year. First trip out on the Mojave Trail, a sudden 30-second 40mph+ gust of wind origamied it before I could fully stake it down. ?‍♂️ Calm to dust devil in an instant. Snapped two of the Delrin hinge pieces without any replacement parts on hand. Lesson learned, I now carry spares. The parts are designed as a sacrificial part so that the poles don’t break. Very easy to perform a field repair.

Short story made long...I like the awning. Super simple set-up and takedown. But it is not designed to be a “freestanding” solution. You MUST deploy the poles and stake it down. The new 2019 Summer Issue of OJ has a test of 270* awnings and the Batwing took the “Value Award”. I agree with their description of the awning’s pros & cons. Good luck.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I love my Darche and use it with the walls at least once a month. I deploys quick and packs almost as quick.
For the price I am very very happy

Photobug

Right now I am waiting for these to arrive in the U.S. I have been told they are on the boat now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like the extra wing to cover further forward. I also like the look of the side walls. If the Rhino Batwing had better wall options I would consider it.

Photobug

Nice until the wind howls. The ARB might stand a chance.

I don't think any of them stand a chance when the wind is howling unless they are staked out. Are you saying that an ARB would outlast some of these $1000 + awnings in a storm?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Right now I am waiting for these to arrive in the U.S. I have been told they are on the boat now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like the extra wing to cover further forward. I also like the look of the side walls. If the Rhino Batwing had better wall options I would consider it.

That is pretty much how my Darche is with arms going forward and around the back....amazing amount of shade

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have an EZ-Awn Bat270 on my truck, and like it. Biggest advantage for me is that it is quick to deploy and to store. I spend a lot of time in the desert and prefer something that is quick for short duration use.

I wanted a Hannibal but there were none in North America when I looked around. I think there is still one with wall for sale on here on ExPo, located around San Diego. Not a 270 but appears to be a stout unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles