Need an Honest review of an Disco 3

sailorcolin

Observer
SO I'm looking for a new 4x4. I had a 97 Disco and am looking to Land Rover again. I have a SAAB now and need 4x4 again for all my camping and traveling off the beaten path I do. I've heard alot of mixed reviews on the LR3's. Some say their great and reliable others say they are a money pit. What concerns me the most is the Air Suspension. I like the idea of having the option for suspension levels, but there is a lot that can go wrong there. SO I know you are gonna be basis toward LR but I am too. I am a Fix It My Self kinda guy so this is why I'm wondering about reliability.

I like the Idea of a 2004 Disco II but the gas mileage is what lead me to sell my Disco I. I'm also thinking of a cheaper option like a 05+ Xterra.

Please let me know!

medicfernando

Adventurer
If true reliability is what you want get an Xterra or a 4runner. If you want the "feel" of a Rover, the great looks of a Rover, the ability of a Rover and are not worried about having to do some work on it, get a Rover. The LR3 is very reliable compared with older models but it can still have its challenges. I have an 06 SE/HD and just replaced the lower control arms at 73,000 miles. It is a great car and drives amazing, but I expect to have to replace airbags at some point etc. I would stay away from 03-04 DII, they are know for cracking blocks, slipping cylinder liners and ending up needing a new block (6-7000 dollars). My 04 did that at 100,000 miles. Do some research, the 03-04 were troublesome. I have had an Fj cruiser (super reliable) and Jeep Rubicon (very reliable) and keep coming back to LR because I really like them. I have had a Disco 1, Disco 2 (04), RRC and my current LR3. Find a good low mileage one with a good service history and you should be good to go. Good luck!

sailorcolin

Observer
Thanks, I heard the 04's fixed all the little problems with the Disco II's and Bosch Electrics and the 03's were the worst? But maybe I'm wrong.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I heard the 04's fixed all the little problems with the Disco II's and Bosch Electrics and the 03's were the worst? But maybe I'm wrong.

Have not seen where a 04 is significantly different than a 03, other than offering the same block fitted as a 4.6.

Some Dude

Adventurer

Laughable. The only difference between the 03 and the 04 was the addition of the CDL to the transfer case. Other than this, they didn't fix or change anything and the 04s are just as problematic as the 03s. That said, my 03 has been reliable with some preventative maintenance and TLC. I'm coming up on 6 years with it.

Have not seen where a 04 is significantly different than a 03, other than offering the same block fitted as a 4.6.
The 03 had the same notoriously bad 4.6.

srschick

Adventurer
look at 08 or 09, most of the issues were worked out by then.
Inspect any possible purchase with detail, look at the maintenance record. If none, then you may want to look further.
As far as the air suspension, raise and lower it a few times. see if it slows, which may show a problem with the system.
A well maintained LR3 is a happy LR3.

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah, get the LR3. Incredible vehicle and significantly improved over the DI and DII for quality, reliability and even performance. You can find units with a rear factory locker.

Buy the newest, lowest mileage example you can afford. Look for units with well-documented dealer service history.

99Discovery

Adventurer
I agree with most that has been said.

For the DII, the '04 is wanted because of the CDL, but it has NEWER blocks (made with even more worn tooling) than the '02~03. If you really much have a D2, I'd recommend a '99. That way you get a CDL (just add an Ashcroft shifter), but you'd arguably have a more reliable block.

But nothing is certain with those Buick V8's, which is a shame; because the torque curve is awesome for off road and the aluminum block is a good idea from a center of gravity standpoint....just poorly implemented.

I've heard the early LR3s can have issues with the diffs, but that's supposed to have been taken care of through recall. I'd still feel most comfortable with the newest LR3 available over the D1 and D2 from a reliability standpoint.

Navman

Adventurer
I have a 2008 LR3 with 80k miles on it. We've had it since new. I think we spent a grand total of $0 in repairs and had zero oil spots on my driveway until a couple of weeks ago. Awesome vehicle.

That said, we just spent over $4k in repairs at the dealer. My parking brake still doesn't work and I need new bushings. It's an expensive vehicle with expensive repairs when they are needed.

Still, after owning a D1 money pit and 7 years of no repairs, the LR3 is just awesome.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I would say everything you have heard about LR3s is true -- all the good and all the bad. A Disco II can be made more capable than a LR3, but the LR3 will handle trails within its capabilities better than the D2. The LR3 is the only vehicle I have had to reboot on the trail, and several times at that. After spending time in both, I can't see any reason to buy a D2 unless you really like the styling or have to have solid axles. The LR3 is simply better in every way. I would like it a lot more if you could put smaller wheels on it. The LR3 is a much more complex vehicle than the D2 (more computers, independent axles) with a lot more that could go wrong, but they seem to be much more reliable overall.

The LR3 will be a lot like your Saab, but I don't know about it being a "fix it yourself" vehicle. Certainly there are a lot of mechanicals that need to be looked after, but the D2 is probably more DIY friendly. Still, after spending time in a LR3, I think you will find that the D2 feels like lipstick on a pig. While it is really just a slightly stretched D1, it somehow completely misses the feel of the D1 and RRC.

medicfernando

Adventurer
WELL! That said, any more on the Disco 3's?
I just put a new set of tires on mine, my Terra Grapplers were worn out and with the new control arms and tires it feels like a new vehicle. I will say it again, there is just nothing like the feel of a Land Rover (except maybe a G Wagen). Take your time, find a good one, BUY IT AND ENJOY IT!

Some Dude

Adventurer
Pontification on several Rovers
Speaking as the owner of both a D2 and an LR3, I can pretty much agree with everything this guy has said.
Still, after spending time in a LR3, I think you will find that the D2 feels like lipstick on a pig.
This is about the only thing I'll go the other way on. I think the interior of the LR3 is less engaging, more spartan, and not as refined as my D2. Personally, I think LR hit it out of the park with the interior of the D2. The seating position is higher, the seats are better, and it really feels like some time was spent in development. By comparison, the LR3 feels phoned-in. I'm a very tall guy and I fit better in the LR3, but I still prefer the D2's interior.

PS - The rain sensing wipers on the LR3 are possibly the most frustrating feature of any vehicle I've ever owned.

zelatore

Explorer
Since the OP asked specifically about the Disco3/LR3, I'm only going to address the D1/2 to say the LR3 is a quantum leap forward in reliability. Really, there is no comparison on that front.

You said your primary concern was the suspension, specifically the air bags. In general, the air bags themselves have shown to be quite reliable. Mine have 115K on the originals with no leaks or damage.

Your worries are more about other components of the air suspension. Specifically the compressor and dryer, and the valve blocks. These seem to be the biggest failure points in the suspension if not the entire truck. While the valve blocks are fairly cheap, a compressor is pretty expensive. Figure $800 for a replacement unit if you're doing the work (easy enough to do in the driveway, maybe 2 hrs if you have never done it before and don't have sliders in the way). There are rebuild kits available for the compressors that can cut that cost substantially.

The original compressors have been replaced with a new model. I always get them confused, but I think the original was a Hitatchi and the new one an HKS.

A failed compressor will bring the truck to the bump-stops. Assuming you aren't running a huge tire, you'll still be drivable but it will be a pretty miserable ride.

Other than compressors, the most likely issue you'd expect to encounter on an LR3 would be random computer glitches. Most often these won't stop the vehicle but may put it into a limp mode. More often, you can simply clear them and continue on. If you do get an LR3, consider a GAP IId tool your first upgrade. Aside from all the cool things it can do, it's most basic feature is to read and clear any fault codes.

The basic powertrains on these trucks are very robust. Failures are not unheard of, but certainly a rarity. The old days of head gaskets, overheating, oil leaks, etc are long gone. My truck's chassis is totally oil-free.

Some people have mentioned suspension bushings, particularly front A-arms. I don't consider this a failure item, more a wear item. They don't just 'fail' and suddenly leave you sitting, but they do wear faster than on a typical car. It's a very heavy 4wd truck, and it's hard on bushings. If you live in a high-corrosion area you'll likely find the control arms are extremely difficult to get off when the times comes to replace the bushings (60-75K miles is common depending on how hard you use it) so a lot of people just cut them off and replace the whole control arm as an assembly. More expensive but easier.

It is a luxury vehicle, and the maintenance level and cost is higher than say a Ford or Toyota. But it's not ridiculous. And most of it you should be able to handle yourself if you're handy with a wrench and know your way around modern vehicles.

The short of it is the LR3 is a 'whole different Rover. Is it as reliable as a Camery? To be honest, no. But it's nothing like the older trucks. Don't be put off by an old reputation or the baying of the uneducated masses (particularly those Toyota drivers who tend to think anything other than a Toyota is a death trap waiting to happen...I have my own stories about crappy Toyota failures I could tell).

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I've had my 2007 now for just over a year. It came with 175,000kms on it and now has just over 220,000kms. Front suspension work and an upgraded compressor had been looked after right before my purchase. My front airbag has had a slight leak (drivers corner drops overnight) since I bought the truck. Both fronts are being replaced with Arnott's today. I was left stranded once and it was during my first week of ownership. It was two Canbus wires that had rubbed together, chaffed and cause a short leading to the dash lighting up like a Christmas tree, truck to bump stops and no engine start. I've had one issue with the EAS and it was a corroded wire between the compressor pump and the front valve block plus a sticking RR height sensor which I had replaced.
Overall I've been very happy with this truck and it's my favorite Land Rover I've owned.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread though is the battery. The LR3 draws a heavy load and when the battery starts to lose its power, many strange things will happen. If replacing it yourself, make sure the vent hose is not blocked. I had a friend with an 2005 LR3. The battery was changed and the vent hose blocked. The battery overheated and dumped acid all over the wiring harness and ecu's in that area. It was a $7500 bill thankfully covered by insurance.
And as for the front suspension arms, Lucky 8 is now selling them new with Polybushes. Apparently Eric has gone well beyond the standard replacement mileage with these arms installed. When the time comes, I'll use these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles