Need an 80 series front bench seat!

Klierslc

Explorer
Hi folks,

For those who don't know, I have 5 kids and a dog, and really like my cruiser. The problem is that I have to use all of the seats if the family is going anywhere, leaving little room for cargo and the dog. I have a roof rack and double hitch carrier with airbags in the rear, but there still isn't any room for the dog and having all the gear external is not the greatest plan for inclement weather.

Being here in afghanistan I have run across the Prado 120 and the 105 series--both of those are offered with a split bench up front. That little spot up front would be ideal for my two year old and would allow me to remove one of my rear seats. I would then have room for extra cargo or the dog inside--trying to avoid having to sell the cruiser and buy a suburban.

So, does anybody have access to a LHD front bench seat for an 80 series? I am willing to pay for overseas shipping.
Thanks!

Dan

Sempertoy

Explorer
Hey Dan, I can't help except to offer a suggestion. And that would be to call Onur at proffitts cruisers in Utah. Those guys have access to all kinds of stuff.

jgolden

Adventurer
You could keep the existing front seats and have a small center jump seat made to replace the center console.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Have they made a LHD bench option in the 80? I've never seen one but then again the only benches I've seen are the Aus spec 80's with split 60/40 benches, all RHD. I suspect the Middle East may have had an option for LHD 80 benches?

Klierslc

Explorer
Have they made a LHD bench option in the 80? I've never seen one but then again the only benches I've seen are the Aus spec 80's with split 60/40 benches, all RHD. I suspect the Middle East may have had an option for LHD 80 benches?

There aren't many 80 series in afghanistan but every other variant here is LHD and is offerred with the front bench--I haven't seen a 60 yet though. If I could find an 80 to swap the seats out of here, I would, but they frown on that and won't let me go to the local junkyard either....

Klierslc

Explorer
You could keep the existing front seats and have a small center jump seat made to replace the center console.

That isn't a bad idea and may end up being cheaper than shipping a seat from overseas. I could use the existing anchor points for a lap belt and a spare third row latch to allow it to fold into an armrest. Add a couple of recessed cup holders for when it folds down and have it upholstered to match....hmmm

Danimal

Adventurer
Have to ask this, and I'm not trying to be 'that guy'; is it safe to have a 2 year old in the front seat of a vehicle with dual front airbags?

Dan

Klierslc

Explorer
Have to ask this, and I'm not trying to be 'that guy'; is it safe to have a 2 year old in the front seat of a vehicle with dual front airbags?

Dan

Fair question, and one that I had thought as well. Two solutions--either disable the airbag system on the passenger side or have one of the older kids ride up front. I am no auto engineer, but it seems like the airbags wouldn't be designed to cover that area--there is quite a bit of space between the passenger side airbag and the center console. I think it would probably be fine either way but I will end up building a shoulder belt similar to the second row in a 100 series if I end up doing this--that should keep any kiddos away from the airbag. It definitely bears some more thought before proceeding though.

lowenbrau

Explorer
The LHD version is a middle east spec thing. I've considered finding one myself since I have 4 kids and 2 dogs but it would really suck to lose the center console icemaker.

80 series front bench.jpg

Danimal

Adventurer
I think it would probably be fine either way but I will end up building a shoulder belt similar to the second row in a 100 series if I end up doing this--that should keep any kiddos away from the airbag.

So we're talking about an older kid with the shoulder belt, right? That makes more sense to me, because I don't see how you'd get a big old car seat in the front for a 2 year old in the first place. Hell, my 3 year old son's forward facing car seat doesn't have any room to spare in the 2nd row bench on one of the sides.

Dan

lowenbrau

Explorer
It is likely much wider but the second gen tundra is available with a front bench which has an integral middle shoulder belt. It would be worth the floor mods to make it work. My plan is to buy a Tundra double cab as our daily/ road trip rig and save the 80 for wheeling but one of those front bench seats would let me lose the third row seats, put the drawers and headache rack back in the wagon and we could take the dogs if we wanted.

tyler93

Observer
I am in a similar situation. 4 kids and I would prefer not to use the 3rd row. I will have to look into some full size trucks that have 3 belts in the front bench. It may be ugly but the extra room it would free up is substantial. Not to mention my leather is torn on the front row anyway (like most 80's). Plus the kid in the 3rd row has to climb over the middle row which is a circus. My 4 kids are all in carseats. Modifying the anchor points in the front row would not be a big issue for the benefit gained. Although I like the idea of tearing out the center console and putting a seat in its place, no one will ever make it though.

Klierslc

Explorer
So we're talking about an older kid with the shoulder belt, right? That makes more sense to me, because I don't see how you'd get a big old car seat in the front for a 2 year old in the first place. Hell, my 3 year old son's forward facing car seat doesn't have any room to spare in the 2nd row bench on one of the sides.

Dan

My kiddos are pretty good sized--my 3 year old just uses a high back booster, but yes, the 2 year old's car seat would take up a lot of room. The more I think about it the more a shoulder belt is pretty much required..

It is likely much wider but the second gen tundra is available with a front bench which has an integral middle shoulder belt. It would be worth the floor mods to make it work. My plan is to buy a Tundra double cab as our daily/ road trip rig and save the 80 for wheeling but one of those front bench seats would let me lose the third row seats, put the drawers and headache rack back in the wagon and we could take the dogs if we wanted.

I thought about selling the 80 and getting a DC tundra before the 5th kid....I am glad I kept the 80. The T100 has a front bench that would work well but it is only a lap belt.

I am in a similar situation. 4 kids and I would prefer not to use the 3rd row. I will have to look into some full size trucks that have 3 belts in the front bench. It may be ugly but the extra room it would free up is substantial. Not to mention my leather is torn on the front row anyway (like most 80's). Plus the kid in the 3rd row has to climb over the middle row which is a circus. My 4 kids are all in carseats. Modifying the anchor points in the front row would not be a big issue for the benefit gained. Although I like the idea of tearing out the center console and putting a seat in its place, no one will ever make it though.

Depending on brand of car seat, you might be able to remove the center console and install LATCH anchors to hold the seat in place...

wyocoyote

My buddy needs one in California also, his 10 year old and wife both get car sick so all 3 prefer to ride up front.
middle custom jumpseat would not be as good as a 60 40 IMO.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz