need advise for full size truck choice

gtitonta

I currently own 2010 Nissan xterra manual trans and 2005 duramax sierra 3500 dually manual trans. When I bought sierra, I thought that I will fix the truck and sell xterra. However, every time I repair one thing in the truck, another thing is broken. Currently odometer shows 630k, but engine, transmission, drive train was rebuilt 120k miles ago by previous owner. It is also installed south bend dual plate. Previous owner seems to repair with so much short cut and red neck repair so there are so many bolts and cover missing and bypass wiring here and there so I am kind of frustrated to repair this truck. The things I need to repair in this truck currently is that I need replace 2-3 fuel injectors, power steering pump, gear box, catalytic converter and muffler, both side front fender (rusted and hole). I drove 2-3 hours round trip before without any issues although I definitely need replace fuel injector. The thing is that I know this truck is very rare since sierra 3500 dually with duramax and zf6 from factory. That is why I bought this truck even though that high mileage. However, thing I realized is that I can not stand engine noise and smell (although previous owner did installed straight pipe from turbo no cat and no muffler). So I am kind of debating myself for last a couple weeks about getting rid of the truck and switch to gas truck or cummin truck.

Currently, truck I am thinking about is :

• 2013 - F250 or f350 6.2 gas automatic
  • 2016 - Nissan titan xd gas automatic
  • 2014 - Ram 2500 or 3500 gas automatic trans
  • 2014 - Ram 2500 or 3500 cummin manual trans
The reason I am interested in cummin is that I actually tried 2015 ram 3500 manual trans before, and it was very quiet and no smell of diesel at all not like my sierra. I did like it, but so many people seem to have issues about emission system so I did not buy it.

Another reason why I need truck is that we got land which is middle of nowhere and decided to build hobbit house by ourselves. We realized that xterra can not carry not much stuffs and enough power to carry heavy stuffs like concrete and timber etc. I need also around 10k towing capability since I need get travel trailer and tow compact backhoe. That is why I need truck.

So my question is if I should just keep fixing my Sierra or completely switch to one those four trucks I listed?? Currently, we live in big city, and we will use next truck as daily drive. I am planning to sell xterra if I get one of the four trucks also. I usually keep car very long time.

Thanks for your helping and sharing your experience!

CFMGarage

Just a note, RAM removed the manual option for the 2019 model year and on.

I ordered my '18 Cummins manual and it is a pleasure to drive on a Carli Backcountry kit and 37s. My only complaint is that reverse could be deeper. The BD 2-lo kit is a life saver backing my trailer up the driveway. The clutch might be a weak link. Even detuned (600tq?) I've had it overpower my stock clutch during some high grip situations so that'll be on my list in the future. I also have cowl filters from Geno's on my truck and it has never smelled like diesel.

For that land in the middle of nowhere, diesels allow easy upgrades in fuel capacity compared to gas. While my wallet thanks me that I haven't filled up recently, I have 80 gallons on board.

Disclaimer: My truck is not my daily and I would probably get tired of driving this truck everyday in the city. I drive it when it's towing, when I "need" 37s, or when the parking will be easy. It's too tall for a lot of parking decks as well.

I would also make sure to go and look at these trucks. Get a feel for the height of the tailgate and think about moving things in and out of the bed. A bed slide is a smart investment. And while I actually like the Titan very much, I would personally avoid it just because it has a poor aftermarket and dwindling support at Nissan.

GeorgeHayduke

I assume towing you'd be towing the travel trailer and backhoe to the land where you're building and then probably not moving them again right? I'd get those trips done with the duramax, then sell it and buy a utility trailer to pull with the xterra. Save the 40k you'd spend on a new to you truck for the house build and the xterra will be much nice to drive in the city.

Zuber

For a daily driver in the city, a diesel is not a good choice. The engine will rarely get up to temp and you'll have more than normal issues with the emission stuff.

One good thing about any RAM is that all issues are already known. There are several on-line clubs that document everything. If there's a problem, some company has an inexpensive fix.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

I ordered my '18 Cummins manual and it is a pleasure to drive on a Carli Backcountry kit and 37s. My only complaint is that reverse could be deeper. The BD 2-lo kit is a life saver backing my trailer up the driveway. The clutch might be a weak link. Even detuned (600tq?) I've had it overpower my stock clutch during some high grip situations so that'll be on my list in the future. I also have cowl filters from Geno's on my truck and it has never smelled like diesel.

For that land in the middle of nowhere, diesels allow easy upgrades in fuel capacity compared to gas. While my wallet thanks me that I haven't filled up recently, I have 80 gallons on board.

Disclaimer: My truck is not my daily and I would probably get tired of driving this truck everyday in the city. I drive it when it's towing, when I "need" 37s, or when the parking will be easy. It's too tall for a lot of parking decks as well.

I would also make sure to go and look at these trucks. Get a feel for the height of the tailgate and think about moving things in and out of the bed. A bed slide is a smart investment. And while I actually like the Titan very much, I would personally avoid it just because it has a poor aftermarket and dwindling support at Nissan.
I have an '07 G-56. They do make some noise with the single mass flywheel conversion. You cannot lug them which is logical anyway but they'll bark at you. Also thicker fluid will be necessary. Mercedes specs a fluid largely unavailable here but Delvac 50 synthetic is the most similar. I've used it but find Amsoil's 75-90 MTG to be slicker. 30K oil changes yield a very small amount of fine shavings on the drain plug.

gtitonta

Thanks, CFMgarage. I know that ram cummin removed manual option for 2019 model. If i get ram cummin, I would not worry about smell of diesel because I did not smell at all when I tried Ram cummin last year. I know that pre-emission diesel is better for reliability and good MPG, but I am still worry about the emission crap since I would leave those craps. Same time, we can not get any cell signal also so I am worried about what if situation. I usually carry ham radio with me though. I think that I should test drive again some point. Thanks for sharing your experience!

gtitonta

I assume towing you'd be towing the travel trailer and backhoe to the land where you're building and then probably not moving them again right? I'd get those trips done with the duramax, then sell it and buy a utility trailer to pull with the xterra. Save the 40k you'd spend on a new to you truck for the house build and the xterra will be much nice to drive in the city.

I am pretty sure that I will leave compact backhoe in our land, but I might tow travel trailer here and there to dump stuffs. My wife is more thinking your way to save money. I have to think about more how much money I have to spend money for repair. It is like 8 hour drive from the place we live now. So my truck must be really reliable when I do this. Thanks for sharing your idea. appreciate it!

gtitonta

For a daily driver in the city, a diesel is not a good choice. The engine will rarely get up to temp and you'll have more than normal issues with the emission stuff.

One good thing about any RAM is that all issues are already known. There are several on-line clubs that document everything. If there's a problem, some company has an inexpensive fix.

I know that that is another concern about getting modern diesel truck. I checked cummin forum, and dpf and def sensor seems always issues, especially dpf for daily drive in city. I have to think about carefully. thanks for tips!

billiebob

I go with this ^^^ option.

A deck trailer behind a small SUV does it all.... I've been doing it for 12 years.

Start here.... $1100.00, 700# empty, 3500# gross.

trlr 013.jpeg

Firewood

trlr 017.jpg

Work.... 3500# of brick here.... a bit over the TJR capacity but legal for the trailer capacity.

DSC_0001.jpeg

Recreation.... same trailer does it all..... even if you buy/rent/lease a new vehicle.

IMG_0813.jpeg

so many options and way more capacity. My deck trailer weighs 700# has a 3500# gross. The 5x10 deck is double the capacity of a pickup.
Trailer registration is under $100 a year here... with zero maintenance. Definitely keep the Xterra, buy a trailer or 2.

One thing I do with every trailer is relocate the jack to clear the liftgate, tailgate, truck access. Such a simple change.

DSC_0011 2.jpeg DSC_0011.jpeg

Drop a strip of plywood across the back creates an instant work bench..... I do this all the time !!!
Here, doing a tool inventory for insurance.

DSCN1248.jpeg

Last edited:

gtitonta

I go with this ^^^ option.

A deck trailer behind a small SUV does it all.... I've been doing it for 12 years.

Start here.... $1100.00, 700# empty, 3500# gross.

View attachment 727163

Firewood

View attachment 727162

Work.... 3500# of brick here.... a bit over the TJR capacity but legal for the trailer capacity.

View attachment 727161

Recreation.... same trailer does it all..... even if you buy/rent/lease a new vehicle.

View attachment 727160

so many options and way more capacity. My deck trailer weighs 700# has a 3500# gross. The 5x10 deck is double the capacity of a pickup.
Trailer registration is under $100 a year here... with zero maintenance. Definitely keep the Xterra, buy a trailer or 2.

One thing I do with every trailer is relocate the jack to clear the liftgate, tailgate, truck access. Such a simple change.

View attachment 727165 View attachment 727166

Drop a strip of plywood across the back creates an instant work bench..... I do this all the time !!!
Here, doing a tool inventory for insurance.

View attachment 727167
thanks for sharing your experience! I appreciate it. Probably I should go this route. I can save gas, maintenance cost, off road capability and easy maneuver. I will save the money for now. Thanks again!!!!!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Titan is the best overall package and deal imho. Overlooked and underrated means deals to be had.
I'd have to agree. They seem to get outstanding fuel economy and the powertrain is stout and dependable. The payload capacity and tow ratings aren't so hot but they have their place. The deals must be great out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94