NEED A REAR BUMPER THAT CAN TOW +++

hey everyone I own a 97 LC
and I tow my 2012 Outback Travel Trailer with it
its about 5500 lb loaded and wet
ive towed it from Ohio to the UP in mid summer down to FL and it does it without any problems
I have upgraded brakes and cooling system heavy OME
overall it gets the job done but its not a Tahoe (last tow vehicle)

The LC is also my Expedition vehicle and is always under construccion and right now im looking for a rear bumper that can take a 33" MT 2 5g fuel cans and be able to tow my Travel Trailer (base camp)
I cant find anything that would do all 3
so I need help

thank you all
all this pics were before the upgrades

D90oldpics790.jpg

D90oldpics1269.jpg

D90oldpics806.jpg

D90oldpics1094.jpg

D90oldpics1876.jpg

D90oldpics201.jpg

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
ARB's rear bumpers are Class 3 tow rated. I'll have to check the actual specs but they are as stout as a standard receiver.

I don't know if he rates the towing capacity, but Luke at 4x4 Labs makes excellent, bombproof rear bumpers that seem to do everything you want...

brentbba

Explorer
x2 on Kaymar. In '05 (I believe) they were the only aftermarket bumper for the 80 series that could tow, much less be rated. Several other very good expedition bumpers from Slee and 4x4 Labs now also offer a towing solution, but are not rated due to the cost involved in the rating process (paraphrasing what Christo Slee has said about the rating topic).

I've towed 4000lbs with my 80 and Kaymar. No issues. I do have a 2-3" OME heavy suspension running 33's. I also use Airlift airbags in the rear coils. Helps that wonderful squat you exhibit in that first picture.

Legal warning - US based trucks are 'rated' for 5000lbs max. Go figure that the same truck is rated at 7500lbs in the rest of the world.

I have Kaymar's tire carrier off my bumper and using the Kaymar swingout I had Cruisin' OffRoad's ladder and double jerry can carrier on the bumper. I only tow a little M101CDN now with a slightly elongated tongue, but it looks like you'd have enough room with your trailer to hang a jerry can carrier. The 'new' double can carrier from Kaymar would work great since the cans sit close to the cruiser and don't stick out. Pricey, but probably a good option given your requirements.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have owned Kaymar, Slee, and 4x4 labs on 80 series and I would not hesitate towing a load that big with any of them. And yes Im aware only the Kaymar is rated.

carlpb

Iron Pig

I have the iron pig off road with integrated tow point, you could even bolt up the factory tow bar below if needed as an option without the integrated tow point. It towed my fully loaded pop up 2100 lbs no problem. From the design thickness of steel, welding and hardware it seems more solid that the factory Valley industries tow bar. Not sure If I would want to tow a 5500 lb trailer with my 80 given the impact I experienced with a smaller trailer and lack of hill pulling power. A local tlca club friend of mine got the ARB, that thing is huge, heavy and has a lot of pieces and shims. It also appears to hang out further that the stock bumper causing his rear to drag a lot.

So a lot may depend on what you want to use yours for, for my flavor of wheeling expo/minor crawling I would prefer a lighter, tighter and able to take a good hit style of bumper that didn't require me to modify my frame cross member like the 4x4 labs or similar.

What I can say is that in California my insurance co. would not insure me without trailer brakes and would not insure if the trailer was more than the tongue and vehicle rating class it was designed for.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I have a kaymar w/ 2" receiver hitch on my 80. I easily tow my 18' Parker center console = about 4000 lbs.

esquisse

Go for a ARB Bumper. I tow a heavy horse trailer with 2 horses with more then 6000 lb and never had any problems with it. It is even rated higher then I ever use. It is build like a tank. The "Australians" know there stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles