Need a push!

I am thinking of trading in my long time friend! I have a 2000 Taco with 263,000 miles. Looking at getting a 2006 Tundra access cab TRD with 65,000 miles. I am the one and only owner of the Taco and realize I may be driving on barrowed time. What do you think? Was planing on replacing it in less than a year anyway with a new Taco access cab but dont like the cost of a brand new rig (28-29,000).:beer::beer:

Shawn6589

Hard choice. I've taken a car to 214k so i know the attachment/hate relationship of a high mileage car very well. If your financial situation can handle it, go for it. If not, just throw a new engine inner and keep running her hard.

Its not financial at all. Just not sure on a used rig and love my Taco. I think its just worn out! Still runs great and put over 20,000 a year on it. Just took it to So Cal and back last summer 2500 miles and a daily round trip of 83 miles.

Caoboy

Adventurer
I'd say tear down the engine and rebuild it, for peace of mind. Payments always suck, especially when you can be putting that money towards building up the truck you have. From your avatar, it doesn't look like it's beaten up, a good refresher will make it like new again. I do know how it feels to 'need' a new truck..I'm torn between getting a newer truck and not having as much to play with for mods and buying a bit of an older truck and being able to have 'fun' with it much faster lol.

98roamer

Explorer
You seem to drive a lot in a year. The Taco would get better MPG. That's why I still drive my 93 corolla with 246K on it. It's my DD and I love saving the money. Are the repair bills stacking up?
We just came back from a 2500m trip in my wife's 4Runner and flipped 150k. Just keep driving them.
My brother-in-law flipped 300k in his 98 Avalon this year.

Applejack

Explorer
I've done this before. I got out of a '99 4Runner with higher miles, though not as high as yours, and into a used '05 (a year old back then) Taco D/C TRD OR.
I loved the truck but only kept it for 2 years or so because the payment issue bothered me too much. We could afford it but it was just the fact that if financial disaster came maybe we wouldn't be able to afford it..........and then we'd have nothing.

corax

Explorer
If it's paid off and hasn't been giving you grief so far, keep what you have. What would your payments be on new/used Tundra . . . 4 or 5 hundred a month? Take that money and stick it into savings each month, sort of a "just in case something breaks" fund, if you don't need it, it'll make a great down payment on the Tundra. 1/4 million miles isn't all that exceptional on an odometer anymore.

Been paid off for years, no real repairs either. But in the next year or so it will need work (I would think) clutch, stearing rack, ball joints, ECT ECT ECT.

Pikeman

Adventurer
Based on the list you mentioned it is all basic maintenance items. As suggested earlier put what you estimate your monthly payment would be into a seperate savings account for vehicle repairs/ usage. If you keep doing the maintenance and seems like you are, that vehicle should have no problems doubling the current mileage.

Newer vehicle equals monthly payments, higher insurance, money dropped into it for mods, higher registration fees.

toyota_jon

Adventurer
I would make a note of everything you think it will need in the next 2 years add up the total cost and then compare it to the cost of a new (used) truck payments, increased fees for tags and insurance. Also consider the added money for gas everyday that you will see driving a bigger rig. I think it will make more sense to put the maint. into your current taco rather than buying another truck. But if you're really just wanting a new truck for change of scenery then I say go for for it! There are some great deals out there right now. I bought my 04 DC TRD Taco last October for $9,500 123,xxx miles and had only minor needs.

toyota_jon

Adventurer
you got an 04 taco for $9,500....................???????????? really?

lol no kidding, I had been wanting one for quite some time. This one came up on CL for 10k I offered 9.5k and got it. The lady's ex gave it to her and I didn't get the impression the break-up was a happy one.

newtruck.jpg

/Hijack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94