Need a new daily/ epxo rig, looking at sequoia/ gx470

Clrussell

Neither the 1st Gen Sequoia nor the 470 has any cargo room whatsoever when the 3rd row is in use. The 470's 3rd row is for kids 12 and under. It's so small.

Might I suggest a 2nd gen (2007-current) Tundra? Tons of space, power to spare, easy to build, and the cargo room is light years beyond either vehicle mentioned in the OP. I take a family of 5 plus a Labrador retriever off-roading and camping. We have room for all our food and gear in Plano trunks plus a couple kayaks in my short bed.

I fully object to the idea that the Tundra is not a great off-road vehicle. The downsides of width and wheelbase have never been an issue for me with the places I go. Mine eats up everything I throw at it. Like anything else, a 2-3" lift with increased suspension travel and some 35s go a long way. The Tundra has a tight turning radius for a full-size. I do forest trails and dispersed camping in the southeast US. Will my truck crawl the Rubicon like a Jeep? Not without 40s, haha. But I run it with 35s and don't have any issues on mild to intermediate trails. The Tundra's ATRAC (which I believe the 470 also has, but not the 1st gen Sequoia) is awesome.

There are a lot of videos of Tundras off-roading on YouTube. Check out what a bone stock TRD Pro Tundra is capable of in this video: Border 2 Border! Epic American Road Trip in a Toyota Tundra TRD Pro - Dirt Every Day Ep.41

while I do believe the cab space in a tundra is possibly larger than my current crew cab gmc. It’s negligible with the biggest being leg room. Something im not overly concerned about right now.

Going to another crew cab truck won’t give me any advantages. Currently in a 2006 gmc 2500 crew short on 35s, camper shell etc. I’ve got enough room now per say as I have 5 seats. But the dog rides in the front so he occupies a seat in the back. With a fridge, drawers, bags, fuel tank and being enclosed I don’t want to put him in the camper shell.

I haven’t found a sequoia locally to look at yet and drive, but I have found some deals on them in a distance I’m willing to travel if I decide that’s what I want. (Which I’m thinking is what I need more than want)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Another Sequoia for you to check out:

Clrussell

Another Sequoia for you to check out:

Thanks!

while I do believe the cab space in a tundra is possibly larger than my current crew cab gmc. It’s negligible with the biggest being leg room. Something im not overly concerned about right now.

Going to another crew cab truck won’t give me any advantages. Currently in a 2006 gmc 2500 crew short on 35s, camper shell etc. I’ve got enough room now per say as I have 5 seats. But the dog rides in the front so he occupies a seat in the back. With a fridge, drawers, bags, fuel tank and being enclosed I don’t want to put him in the camper shell.

I haven’t found a sequoia locally to look at yet and drive, but I have found some deals on them in a distance I’m willing to travel if I decide that’s what I want. (Which I’m thinking is what I need more than want) Bring able to put the dog in the third row and still have storage will be a huge help. At least then he will be in the ac instead of cooking in a bed cap.

Our 3 kids are in the backseat with our 70lb Lab on the floor (usually with her head on the console by my elbow). Plenty of room for all. The rear seat of the crewmax Tundra is nuts. All the gear and food goes in the bed.

I'm coming from a 5th gen 4Runner. We just outgrew it. I love having a bed, not being cramped, and not having stuff strapped to the roof any more.

Good luck in your search. 1st Gen Sequoias are awesome.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I will say one negative about the wagon vs truck body. Trucks have better gear security options vs my SUVs with windows?. A truck I could do a hard locking cover or windowless cap outa sight outa mind goes a long way on trips where you might be parking unknowingly in a high smash and grab area etc. By far my biggest negative on the SUV?.
My last Doberman 75lbs often laid center seat between the two kids, with a duffel/ ice box on the floor basically giving him a longer seat to stretch out usually a cold nose on the back of my arm on the center console. My current COVID rescue 80lb Doberman is too big for that she goes in the back.

Clrussell

Just to update this I up running a 100 series worth the money and picked it up.

if it doesn’t suit my needs I can always get my money back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles