Need a lift. Thinking ICON 1998 4Runner

Milo902

Adventurer
With such a short wheelbase I did not like my sway bars removed. Although I have heard it is much more manageable with the icons. I didnt notice a significant offroad improvement either. Just felt more tippy

Yeah it took 2 1/2 years after I installed my suspension before I completely yanked it. To be clear it's just the front that I removed, I think things could be scary without the rear. My guess is you would be pleasantly surprised with how stable the Icons are w/o a swaybar.

AZ4Runner

Observer
Very nice. Be sure to take some before and after measurements, I'm curious to see how much lift you get compared to mine.

After being a nay-sayer for quite a while, I pulled my swaybar yesterday. I was always worried about emergency lane change maneuvers, but I'm convinced the digressive Icon valving and firmer spring rate control body motion enough that it's ok. The on and offroad ride improvement is very noticeable.

Thanks Milo902,

I was checking out your build thread before my purchase. Nice build BTW. I will for sure take measurements. Currently I'm at 19 1/2" front and 20" rear. One the the first things I will do is run over to my friends house and compare this lift to his SS 1.2 as he has the same tires as me. I was considering on removing the front sway bar like you mentioned. You are quite involved on your build now! Did you run any diff drops, aftermarket bump stops or extend anything like the rear brake line for your lift (with the 890 Spring)?

Milo902

Adventurer
Thanks, I've definitely spent way too many hours and too much $$ on it, but it's been a good learning experience. I failed (again) at keeping my build thread up to day, I tend to spend more time lurking then posting. It's been back on the road for most of the year and pretty well sorted minus a few nagging maintenance issues that I keep chasing.

No diff drops for me. The diff drops lower the front of the diff about an inch, but since it pivots off the back mount you only get maybe a 1/2" of actual CV drop. There seems to be varying opinions on whether it actually helps but I guess it can't really hurt. I can say that I ripped my CV boots shortly after my lift was installed, and two friends w/ Tacos did the same. The replacement boots are going strong with about 20k miles, but if they rip again I'll try one of the special high-angle boots instead.

I'm running SS brake lines all around, extended in the back. With the extra droop the Icons provide in back I think it's a good idea, although my parking brake is a border line limit strap now. Another thing to add to the list before I beat on it too much. It's amazing how many issues pop up when you start really driving these things hard offroad. I managed to vibrate out all of the gas tank mounting bolts somehow this weekend. On the way to the alignment shop today the last of the bolts must have came loose and the front of the gas tank was held up by the fuel lines. I was able to get it home with some ratchet straps and steal my skid plate bolts to get it re-mounted. I actually have a new bolt policy that it's either getting anti-sleaze or lock-tite. I apparently chose wrong with the gas tank bolts, that or I'm an idiot and didn't tighten them correctly.

In the rear I'm still on the factory bump stops, but in the front I installed a set of light racing jounce shocks. There is still some tuning to do but they show promise.

AZ4Runner

Observer
Still waiting on the Icon stuff. Rethinking on the springs. Might sell the 2890s and buy 99 talls like you did. Do you have the part number from those springs? Did you buy them new or used?

jgilbreath

Observer
If you decide to sell your 890s send me a pm. I think i will be going that route instead of the land cruiser coils sitting in my garage.

AZ4Runner

Observer
The goods have arrived...

20150126_132352.jpg
[/URL]

Skinfaxi

For those running the ICON setup on 3rd gens, I'm still unclear as to how the setup behaves. Everyone says the ride improves, but in what way? Stiffer & more controlled, softer & more comfortable, etc?

AZ4Runner

Observer
Install complete. She sits 22" front and 23" rear. That is hub to fender measurements. Still needs an alignment so don't have ride feedback yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles