Need a lift. Thinking ICON 1998 4Runner

johnboytrd

Can't go wrong with icon. If I'd had the extra bucks, woulda done it on my taco. 1700 is a good deal for sure. I think I payed about 1400 all in for my ome kit (tacoma). Post pics when you get em on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xplrn42

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice. In the end I don't want to do heavy rock crawling which is what the ss 1.2 lift is really built for. With this 4runner I want it to be an overland rig so a 3in lift is not needed. In the future I would like to buy an auto 4runner for a rock crawler. I think the icon lift will be the best for long forest roads. I just hope I use the rig enough to justify the cost. It is a daily driver so it will have alot of in town pavment miles.

You'll notice a big difference ON road as well.

MojaveMadMan

Observer
Why shy away from the extended travel shocks and an UCA? Spending a lot of money on your rig there and then leaving out what I would consider to be a very important part seems kind of silly. You get better alignment, which leads to better manors on and off road, the uniball or even light racing joint is stronger than stock, and you get the added wheel travel. If I were you I would save up the few extra buck and get the extended and UCA, even if it meant parts sitting in the garage an extra month while I saved. Do it once and do it right!

moodywizard

Adventurer
^^ x2! I waited till I had enough money and pieced together all my suspension stuff primarily used. Saved a bunch that way. I have icon extended travel with resi and camburg UCA in front with rear 2.5 piggybacks and toytec superflex springs on my FJ and it rides awesome!

AZ4Runner

Observer
From my understanding the front long travel and non long travel coilovers are the same. It is just the valving which is different which could be changed in the future. Also the 4runner is not built the same as the FJ. I don't think the frame is the best for long travel suspension. The CVS really get stressed over a three inch lift for instance. I'm not a suspension expert at all so if anyone else wants to chime in please do. I just want a suspension system that can go long distance on dirtroads and the passengers can be conformable in. From what other 3rd gen 4runner owners who run Icon suspension they say a aftermarket UCA is not needed and the long travel adds less then a half an inch of travel.

Willman

First off, nice runner!

I have been running Donahoe's/Icons since 2006 on my truck. Hands down great suspension with great customer service to back them up. I just had my coilovers rebuilt. They did a nice job. Fast too!

Go fast hardware!

Let us know if we can help.

montanapaddler

3rd. Gen Lift

Steve @ SS makes two lifts for 3rd. gen. 4runners. The 1.2 for serious off-roading & the 7.2 for the person who wants there rig to sit level. As I understand it, the 1.2 has a bit of a rake back to front. I've had my 7.2 for over 4yrs. now and I love it. I am not a hard core offroader. It has a ARB front bumper with a 8,000lb. Smittybilt X20 winch & Hella lights. The suspension rides very nice and STILL sits level. Steve knows his stuff and builds a superior product. Hope this helps.

Milo902

Adventurer
How much extra weight are you carrying in the back? The Icon/OME combo may net considerably more than 2.5" of lift if you don't have some significant extra weight bolted on. From the pictures it looks like a stock bumper & hitch w/ a swing out, any plans for additional weight back there?

The Icon rears are charged to 250psi, which will give you an extra 3/4 to 1" lift on their own. On my 96, the Icon/890 rear combo netted a solid 3.5" of lift compared to factory 99 springs (24.5" hub center to fender, 99 coils are 21" according to the interwebs). This would mean more like 4.5" compared to your 98, when I first bolted them on I saw over 5" of lift before the coils settled. It rode very firm and even with almost 400lbs of concrete it sat a tad high in the back compared to the 2" icon lift in front IIRC. These numbers were with a CBI hybrid rear bumper, which weighs about 40lbs more than the factory bumper & hitch combo but no additional weight over stock.

My original plan was a set of OME 906 coils but their short uncompressed length meant they could easily fall out with the rear shocks at full extension. The Icon shocks allow more droop than the factory or OME shocks.

I have since gone back to a factory rear bumper & hitch (the CBI doesn't fit a factory spare, stupid) and fresh '99 OEM coils. The result is perfect for me. I will have to re-measure but the rear sat level to 0.5" lower than the front icons with this combo (left at 2" lift as set up by Icon). I'm adjusting the fronts down to sit slightly lower, but I prefer less lift. The ride is perfect, controlled, but never harsh. I did a road trip last summer w/ 5 people, a full load of gear & a full roof top box (it was cozy) and it handled the load no problem. Definitely sagged a chunk in the rear with that much weight, but was still controlled and never bottomed out.

For reference, here's a photo of the Icon/OME 890/CBI bumper combo w/ 265 Duratracs. It's an awkward angle but all I can find right now.

4runner1.jpg

montanapaddler

SS 7.2 lift

I actually carry a fair amount in the back. Between a 285/75R/16 spare, tools, axe's, canoe gear, jack/chains etc. aprox 3-350lbs. Plus in the backseat, I carry a tote full of firewood and my 80lb. Pit Bull Mac. Still sits level and I don't have the trim spacers in. They sit on top of rear springs. Very good set up imo.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
The extended travel up front and uca aren't long travel. Its more of a mid travel.
long travel would be a 3.5" over on each side kit or more. You mention the frame wouldnt be ideal but the front is the same as first gen taco mine has 70k miles with camburg long travel up front without ill effect.

I would definitely go with uniball uppers in the front and extended travel coilovers. Your rear will have more flex either way but the front will ride better this way and be easier to align. If budget is tight I would do 2.0 with resi in rear and the front as mentioned over just regular up front and 2.5 in rear...youre not going to overheat the 2.0 as easy as one might think

I run a full OME set up on my 4runner with the heavy springs due to my arb and winch up front and gear in the back. Its a great set up and has been very reliable. I removed the front swaybar and tore a cv boot...so I ordered the extended cv boots from SDHQ offroad. Much more durable and now worry free. They are like the 930 boots but built to fit well. I dont think my cv angles are extreme nor am i causing too much stress just that the factory boots were old and weak. I also have manual hubs though to help reduce daily cv wear. My next mod will be the upper control arms and I feel its a wise investment.
if I ever changed my suspension it would be the icons for sure...just not in the budget right now

Last edited:

Milo902

Adventurer
I would definitely go with uniball uppers in the front and extended travel coilovers. Your rear will have more flex either way but the front will ride better this way and be easier to align. If budget is tight I would do 2.0 with resi in rear and the front as mentioned over just regular up front and 2.5 in rear...youre not going to overheat the 2.0 as easy as one might think

FYI another option is the SPC (formerly Light Racing) UCAs. Great price and build quality, sealed ball joint for OEM reliability, tons of adjustability, and allows for the use of extended travel coilovers.

The UCA/extended travel coilover combo is a pretty sweet setup. With this you should see 9.5+ inches of wheel travel on the front depending on bump stops (stock is just under 8" IIRC). If you cycle metal to metal it's a solid 10", not bad for a stock width truck. I'm not sure on how droop measurements compare between the different rear shock offerings, but I know with Icon's piggybacks I see pretty much the same travel in back w/ stock bumps. This makes for a nicely matched setup front to rear.

Just took a more recent picture for reference, OEM '99 coils w/ Icon piggybacks to give you an idea of how much lift the shocks can add alone.

image.jpg

AZ4Runner

Observer
So I ending up buying...
-front Icon 2.5 coilovers non long travel
-rear icon 2.5 with remote res
-OME 2890 springs
-Icon rear shine guards (made for FJs but they fit on the 3rd gen)

Hardest choice was the rear spring and it still might be the right one from what some of you are saying here. I have net ~63 lbs in the rear from the tire swingout and have a 65 lb tire hanging out far there. My future plans for the rear might be a sleeping platform and adding two 5 gallon fuel cars to the rear swingout.

Very excited to get the Icons on my rig. Now it is a waiting game for them to arrive.

Milo902

Adventurer
So I ending up buying...
-front Icon 2.5 coilovers non long travel
-rear icon 2.5 with remote res
-OME 2890 springs
-Icon rear shine guards (made for FJs but they fit on the 3rd gen)

Hardest choice was the rear spring and it still might be the right one from what some of you are saying here. I have net ~63 lbs in the rear from the tire swingout and have a 65 lb tire hanging out far there. My future plans for the rear might be a sleeping platform and adding two 5 gallon fuel cars to the rear swingout.

Very excited to get the Icons on my rig. Now it is a waiting game for them to arrive.

Very nice. Be sure to take some before and after measurements, I'm curious to see how much lift you get compared to mine.

After being a nay-sayer for quite a while, I pulled my swaybar yesterday. I was always worried about emergency lane change maneuvers, but I'm convinced the digressive Icon valving and firmer spring rate control body motion enough that it's ok. The on and offroad ride improvement is very noticeable.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Very nice. Be sure to take some before and after measurements, I'm curious to see how much lift you get compared to mine.

After being a nay-sayer for quite a while, I pulled my swaybar yesterday. I was always worried about emergency lane change maneuvers, but I'm convinced the digressive Icon valving and firmer spring rate control body motion enough that it's ok. The on and offroad ride improvement is very noticeable.

With such a short wheelbase I did not like my sway bars removed. Although I have heard it is much more manageable with the icons. I didnt notice a significant offroad improvement either. Just felt more tippy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online