Near Death on The North Rim !!!

ExpoMike

They do make a 24" version but for what I need (i.e. trimming branches that would seriously snag the FWC), this should work great. As for larger timber, see back to having a tow strap. I could use this to make a few relief cuts and then pull/break the tree in half and pull the pieces out of the way.

I am not looking to do the "lumberjack" thing. ;)

teotwaki

Excelsior!
They do make a 24" version but for what I need (i.e. trimming branches that would seriously snag the FWC), this should work great. As for larger timber, see back to having a tow strap. I could use this to make a few relief cuts and then pull/break the tree in half and pull the pieces out of the way.

I am not looking to do the "lumberjack" thing. ;)

Thank goodness!!
TJex_monty01.jpg

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Great report! Loved the suspense of it. Buffalo on the road, just seemed perfect!

I was out there with the wife and kids in July 2010. We used the same road that you did for your return trip. I had not thought of that drive much lately, but after reading and seeing your photos, it sure brings back fond memories.

Think back to our trip, just an afternoon trip out to the point. I did have my recovery equipment, winch, strap, chains, and hi-lift. So I felt pretty well prepared for things. I just never gave much thought to the possibility of downed trees blocking the path. And if there had been any, I had nothing with me to cut, except a little 10" flip blade pruner saw.

After reading your report, I now realize, even though I was little bit better prepared then you with my recovery equipment, I should have been better prepared. We made our trip back to the North Rim Lodge just before a storm moved in. Now, thanks to you sharing this adventure, I don't have to really wonder what our situation could have been if the storm would have come in sooner.

Tree cutting equipment will definitely go on my packing list from now on!

haulindave

Observer
Nice report and pictures.

Sounds like you kept a level head and actually thought about the situation and worked through a solution. So uncommon any more. So many people out there would have gone with the "sky is falling" mentality.

I would suggest you find a place to store a tow strap all the time, not something you have to "remember" to pack. This should be #1 on any list of items in the vehicle at all times.

Also, on my last trip, one of the guys in our group had one of these. Worked great and I just ordered one to keep in the rig at all times.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/18-Portable-Buck-Saw/productinfo/728-6118/

Portable-Buck-Saw-lg.jpg

Thanks xj_mike ,

As soon as I got to a place where I could buy a tow rope I got one ! Kanab UT.
Like the saw , I think the 24" would be better .

View attachment 80807I could of brought one of these with me .:)

Look what James did in his trip ( Exploring the West ...... Page 7 post #67 this report ) and the tree he cut then broke with a little battery saw and his winch ! Know matter what you have there can always be something you aren't ready for , and that's where some good old fashion common since comes in. Where you do stuff like the pioneers did when they had something to over come ! You do what you have too !

Great report! Loved the suspense of it. Buffalo on the road, just seemed perfect!

I was out there with the wife and kids in July 2010. We used the same road that you did for your return trip. I had not thought of that drive much lately, but after reading and seeing your photos, it sure brings back fond memories.

Think back to our trip, just an afternoon trip out to the point. I did have my recovery equipment, winch, strap, chains, and hi-lift. So I felt pretty well prepared for things. I just never gave much thought to the possibility of downed trees blocking the path. And if there had been any, I had nothing with me to cut, except a little 10" flip blade pruner saw.

After reading your report, I now realize, even though I was little bit better prepared then you with my recovery equipment, I should have been better prepared. We made our trip back to the North Rim Lodge just before a storm moved in. Now, thanks to you sharing this adventure, I don't have to really wonder what our situation could have been if the storm would have come in sooner.

Tree cutting equipment will definitely go on my packing list from now on!

Thanks Tight_wad ,

Buffalo on the road, just seemed perfect! I felt the the same after it happened ! The adventure and excitement from the day was great , made me feel more alive ! Don't think the wife felt the same way though . :sombrero: I kept getting us into snow and steep mountain pass for the next 4 days !
They ended up closing Bryce Canyon when we were there .Vegas-GrandCanyonTrip591.jpgVegas-GrandCanyonTrip581.jpg Vegas-GrandCanyonTrip601.jpgVegas-GrandCanyonTrip603.jpg
Then the main road to Cedar City was closed because of a avalanche so we took a forest road after dark in a snowstorm with 10500ft pass and 13% grade to get there . Vegas-GrandCanyonTrip620.jpgVegas-GrandCanyonTrip618.jpgOnce again wife was wondering what I was doing . Didn't get to many good pics because the wife wasn't into taking them and she wouldn't let me drive and take pics like I usally do !:Wow1:
I get caught up in the the adventure and tell her everything is alright . I've been doing stuff like this my hole-life and it's hard to stop just cause I'm getting older and had a bum foot . I'm use to being in snow and getting stuck . This is what I like to do I the winter .SLEDPICS-18.jpg:bike_rider:SLEDPICS-40.jpg

Always good to be prepared as possible . I think you have to weigh what you bring and what you think you might encounter and the room and weight it takes. I always feel I bring to much stuff that I don't use and I do a lot of diffident kinds of camping from the truck and flippac to dual-sport motorcycle to building a snow shelter out in the mountains with my snowmobile . I like to bring as little as possible and just enough or I'll need to bring my Big-Rig . :elkgrin: Everyone thinks different , doesn't make it right or wrong .:smiley_drive:

Last edited:

Ed Bravo

Adventurer
A real adventure

Dave - your story and the way you extended it over a few posts was great, if not purposely done!

I mean, who can resist picking up a book and continuing to read the next chapter of a good story.

Your adventure and experiece has obviously rekindled the thoughts so many of us have: - did I bring the right stuff? - I, for one appreciate the many added comments regarding removing downed trees. Has anyone any real firsthand experience with either the 18" or 24" buck saws? I'm sure thinking of buying one.

We have joined in with a group that does almost yearly trips to this area, commonly called the Arizona Strip. These are among our fondest camping memories and have visited a great number if not all of the Grand Canyon Overlooks - the trips are usually summertime and minimum of a week. This is a great area to explore and remoteness is its strong point. Hopefully these roads will remain open for our enjoyment.

Ed

haulindave

Observer
Dave - your story and the way you extended it over a few posts was great, if not purposely done!

I mean, who can resist picking up a book and continuing to read the next chapter of a good story.

Your adventure and experiece has obviously rekindled the thoughts so many of us have: - did I bring the right stuff? - I, for one appreciate the many added comments regarding removing downed trees. Has anyone any real firsthand experience with either the 18" or 24" buck saws? I'm sure thinking of buying one.

We have joined in with a group that does almost yearly trips to this area, commonly called the Arizona Strip. These are among our fondest camping memories and have visited a great number if not all of the Grand Canyon Overlooks - the trips are usually summertime and minimum of a week. This is a great area to explore and remoteness is its strong point. Hopefully these roads will remain open for our enjoyment.

Ed

Hi Ed ,

In the beginning , I didn't think anything about extending ( the report )it over a few days . I have read a lot of ride reports on ADVrider a great motorcycle site and people extend there reports a lot there , so I didn't think anyone would think anything about it until a few readers said something . I tried to inject some hummer about it . I don't think there should be only one way do do anything !
I did want to give people a feel for what we were feeling . How we were enjoying the peace of Point Sublime and the awesome feeling of being alone on the Rim of the Grand Canyon . But I also wanted for them to get a feeling that there was something coming , that was going to change that peace into an adventure !:wings:

I think its great that you get to come here with a group of adventures . I hope those points and roads stay open also . That is one reason I belong to the BlueRibbon Coalition , AMA ,NRA . They fight to keep our rights ! How is it in the summer ? Is it hard to find a point where there isn't anyone there ? The remoteness like you said is what I like most ! I hope to come back again soon , I wanted to be there when there wasn't going to be very many others out there , and I got my wish by not seeing anyone .:victory: I would like to see and get to the other points there.

I have not used one of those buck saws but they are very similar to a bow saw and I have used them and they work OK .wintergarden029.jpg This is the attachment that didn't come though on my last post .

I usually go places either alone or with a few friends , not more then a few people . I did a week in Death Valley last April on Dual-sport bikes with a couple friends and camped out or got a couple of the old miner cabins ( first come ) and road most of the 4x4 trails . But have never done any group things with out knowing everyone from before . BikesMiniettaCabin.jpgRussalCamp.jpg

. Oh, it's me I not good at following .:elkgrin: When I used to race it was always ,Lead Follow or Get out of the way . I guess I'm kind of a loner . I like people , it's just when I do get to go someplace I think the less people I see the better I like it . Not to say I'm not friendly if I see people , I am always friendly . It's just that the feeling of exploring and adventure is more intense if your out there and don't see others . Something that I love about the west , you can still find places where you feel like your a pioneer . If I lived back in the 1800s I like to think would of been a Kit Carson or a gunslinger or maybe a rancher , but not a farmer or store owner . At least thats what I think I would have been .:pROFSheriffHL: I like to try and get that feeling of what it was like for those early explorers .

Thanks for reading !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94