NC to OR on the TAT in my 4Runner

SirWilliamGoes

Adventurer
DAY 16

I had to do this post a little different since I did t have service last night. I typed everything up first.

Today was OK, I spent most of my time today taking care of business!! You know you never really get a vacation. It seems that even though I'm on an obligation free trip I still have obligations to deal with!!
Last night while traveling up warm springs Rd in Ketchum Idaho I found it to be at least bumper deep in snow and zero cell signal so I decided to come back down, call Kristi, catch u guys up then go set up camp to figure everything out in the am. As I pulled up to my camp site I saw a fox running through which was cool!!
cade073291f89fdefb6692549f4d7d42.jpg
e743f167c8cdfff35f779706b45f3b81.jpg

I set up camp even had a fire going!! That's a big deal because out of everything that's the one thing I have yet to master is a fire, I can get one started but can't really keep it going. I have yet to bring any firewood, I have only used coleman fire logs which suck or scrap / left over fire wood. Anyways I sat around it for a little bit before going into my tent and watching a video on my phone I had downloaded. Last night's camp was by far the best set up!! The low was 33° so I got in my lightweight blue bag and then into the heavy military bag (the zipper is broke) I would have used only that bag if it wasn't broke!! I woke up to clouds moving in so I decided to pack up and head on down to town for some coffee (I was out of creamer!!) And some breakfast (I was also out of eggs!!) Whole paking up the Tent broke.
380effc90e76a1bc381dff18c9af082c.jpg

Right at the tab. I had remembered seeing a sports store thing at the end of the Rd so I would stop there after checking yelp for the best breakfast! And heres what I came up with
6a0fa95d98deb4dab742bbda8ea3d068.jpg
3b2c2b735bfd595cef84e53b56998377.jpg

It was great. This is Buck, he is a regular who eats there everyday and his favorite is the pancakes. This being said that's what I got. It was good stuff. After that I decided to go to the little sport store and check on a tent. After talking with the guy, obviously was an expert or really good at pretending, I was sold on a tent. I asked the magic question and my dreams were shattered!! How much....$350. WOW! Now, I'm not saying it's not worth it I'm just saying it's not worth it to me!! So I passed on that deal. I did talk with him a while on what I was doing and he assured me that even if I did get to the top of the mountain to cross it, the backside would be way worse with the snow. Now, when I planned this trip I was thinking that April or May would be ideal because no winter weather and not too hot. Now if you look at the Google map I started in 2012 you'll notice it does not include the North West well the TAT does. May would be OK I think however that's bike week duh!!! So April it is and snow I will have to deal with I guess. So I had to back track, again. I traveled down to 20 where I ran into heavy rain over to 84 and then towards Boise. I found a sportsman warehouse, where I got the tent, and went to see if they would help me out with it breaking. I had only had it for a month, I had no receipt and it was dirty, this was a long shot. Well, kudos to sportsmans warehouse they gave me a gift card for the tent so I bought a new one and a few other things. Next it's in to Toyota Dealer to get service done and take care of the leak in the left rear tire. I came across Peterson Toyota, they worked me right in with no appt. They found 3 punctures in the tire!! This makes for a total of 5 punctures so far 1 from a nail and the others from rocks and such on the Trail. To me I think that is ridiculous for an all terrain tire and I'm thinking maybe this is why Nitto did not want to sponsor me!!! None the less I was able to get it fixed and the truck back on track! By this time it was 5pm mountain time and the TAT was 30miles North. I decided to head to the Trail and then try to find a place to camp with my new tent!! I got back onto the Trail and shortly after passing into OR I found Farewell Bend state park. OK spot right off main Rd with no att service and cost 20$ which is crazy!! So put in perspective 20$ more and I have warm bed shower and TV.* I set up camp, which is way easy with he new tent In pleased!! I got my old fashioned lantern provided by JRs Automotive working and cooked some chicken and Potatoes with onion. Now I don't have signal so I'm writing this in my notes to copy and past first thing in the am!! Till tomorrow

Ha-ha. Y'all thought I had no pics!! Don't worry I feel the pain, the only part of the book I like is the pics to. So without further ado here ya go!!

5464db721b9ed02b96abf43a5eeb0f3d.jpg
053cfba6ddaeaf97c16b7152cd2731f4.jpg
f170086cfee61fb75ca0a457a1baa032.jpg
86984702fe6a102450896d10254e4eb9.jpg
c76a50f16fc8a4b0f0b4b93ac2f5417f.jpg
f867ab55f34871f8f4067fd7799e3a61.jpg
2888bd923698f8b76cc8ace250ac157d.jpg
50cce64c0465d3aea5a8317b715ce2f8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

chuppie

Observer
Inexperience which he admitted to at the beginning. That's what makes this trip report so great. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. It is so honest and real and brings back lots of memories when I first started 40 plus years ago.

Sirwilly, in 30 or 40 years from now, you are going to remember this as one of the best and most fun things you ever did in your life as well you should!

Keep going! I'm sure others are enjoying as much as I am.

Regards

Last edited:

chuppie

Observer
Quote Originally Posted by SkiFish View Post
Storm or not, you won't be able to make it over many or most of the passes. They will be closed/impassable I'd imagine. But Im sure you've planned for that.

Ha-ha. Planned!!! That's funny, I don't even know where I'm splleping most days until 8pm!! I'll figure it out!!

there is a reason the windshield is bigger than the rearview mirror

This is the best response I have read in a long time...

SirWilliamGoes

Adventurer
Inexperience which he admitted to at the beginning. That's what makes this trip report so great. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. It is so honest and real and brings back lots of memories when I first started 40 plus years ago.

Sirwilly, in 30 or 40 years from now, you are going to remember this as one of the best and most fun things you ever did in your life as well you should!

Keep going! I'm sure others are enjoying as much as I am.

Regards
Oh I bet. I would definitely plan may or June next go around. I figured those months would be on the verge of too hot. Remember though I planned my trip in 2012 and then found out about the TAT a year or so later. If you look at my map most stuff is southern reason is I hate snow!!!!

douglaspettway

I'm living vicariously through your posts right now and check in everyday to read more. Just wanted to let you know that I am really enjoying following along.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Always a pleasure

Definitely look forward to reading up on your adventure every time I walk in to my cube. Nice to escape for a few minutes before the mayhem startsc:wings:. The fact that you're doing this as you are and flying by the seat of your pants is definitely adventurous in itself; while many might go about it a different way I think that's what's refreshing about this report. Never knowing what's around that corner or planning on the fly can be nerve racking or tedious but that's what makes this report so damn good; it's a nailbiter. Plus you're not attempting this in an overly built vehicle either which adds more to the wow factor of the report:smiley_drive:.

I think I almost always cringe at some point at your updates just hoping nothing went wrong but tell you man, it's good to see you out there living your dream while the rest of us live vicariously through that dream.

SirWilliamGoes

Adventurer
I am alright now. I was stuck on the side if Wolf Mountain in OR since about 3pm PST I woke this morning more stuck than yesterday since the snow re froze over night. Thankfully while cooking my breakfast about to make the 30+mile hike some folks came up on 4wheelers. After about an hour in a half digging and pulling I'm out.

I'm in Pineville OR on hwy 27 heading on the TAT. I will be posting full write-up for yesterday once I get to a hotel for the evening. Also I must add ATT is a horrible choice for cell service while on this trip, I think I will stop and get a Verizon prepay.

outback97

Adventurer
I know this is a TAT run but one thing you might want to check into is the Backcountry Discovery Routes (http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/) for your return trip. Lots of great ways to see some of the country in areas you are traveling through.

Just keep in mind that they're not really intended to be driven this early in the year either, and much of the routes will be blocked by snow.

The COBDR is best from July-September and sometimes October if no early snow storms have occurred. The route can be done in June, but snowpack in the high mtns may keep you from doing the entire route as mapped. There have been some years where the snow has not cleared from the high country until the last week of July.

The IDBDR is best from July- thru October if no early snow storms have occurred. The route can be done in June, but snowpack in the high mountains may keep you from doing the entire route as mapped. There have been some years where the snow has not cleared from the high country until the last week of July. Hunting season does start in October, so heads up for traffic.

The NMBDR is best in the months of June and September. The route can be done in May, but snowpack in the high mountains may keep you from doing the entire route as mapped. New Mexico experiences summer monsoons in the months of July and August. These heavy rains can keep you from riding the majority of the route due to mud and flash floods. You can also ride the NMBDR far into November, but the days are shorter and you will encounter hunters.

The UTBDR is best from August-October depending on early snow storms and weather. The route can be done in May and June, but snowpack in the high mtns may keep you from doing the entire route as mapped.

I guess AZ might be the exception.

The AZBDR is best from May-June and Sept-Oct. The route can be done in April or November but snowpack in the high mountains may keep you from doing the entire route as mapped. There have been some years where the snow has not cleared from the high country until the May. Because the route travels in the desert where the temperatures can reach above 100 and then move into the mountains where the temperatures can drop in the 30's, you must plan accordingly for gear.

Last edited:

pyrate

Rollin' along
Just keep in mind that they're not really intended to be driven this early in the year either, and much of the routes will be blocked by snow.

I guess AZ might be the exception.

And NM. Just an idea. Not trying to send him off on a one way adventure. :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior