NC: Morganton/Mortimer/Linville Gorge/Brown Mtn Trip 10/15 & 10/16

ExpoScout

Explorer
Well this weekend I decided to go up and see family that live near Grandfather Mtn. and I figured I would get a trip in while the weather was so awesome.

jae7it.jpg

At part of what's left of the old Mortimer mill complex and my '95 5spd D1 which can be seen here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/55474-Project-quot-Oscar-quot-5spd-D1

Here is a portion of the US Forest Service motor vehicle use map of the Grandfather District that I have cropped and crudely drawn our route on: (I apologize in advance for the awfulness of this map, I need some fancy software that can highlight routes. I would have used Google maps but I couldn't zoom out enough to get the little roads I was on to show up)

2u5arg2.jpg

Here is a link to the entire map that you can zoom in on and see the intricacies of where we explored:

https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5188497.pdf

It was a good time. But basically to sum it up; We live in the Triad area and came up 40 to Morganton. We then took 181 to Brown Mountain Beach Rd, up Wilsons Creek to Mortimer. We then went Northeast to FR 4068 and took that up towards Schoolhouse Rock. From there we went North towards Globe and ended up taking SR 1514 all the way to Hwy 221 (pops out just East of the Grandfather Mtn entrance gate). After that we went to the family cabin and relaxed for the night.

Got up this morning and sat around by the fire and drank more that my share of a pot of coffee, then packed up the wife and dogs and headed back out.

If you are familiar with the area you know where Pineola and Jonas Ridge are at. If not they are a little ways North of the area labeled as Linville Gorge Wilderness Area. I started there today and came down SR 1265 on the Eastern rim of the Linville Gorge. Once we got down and intersected with FR 496 we took it North-Northeast and followed it until it hit Hwy 181. It popped out just North of the Brown Mtn. Overlook.

From there we went back down 181 to Brown Mtn. Beach Rd. and followed it towards Wilson's Creek like we did yesterday. However, this time we passed Wilson's Creek and turned on our next road to the left. On the map it's not labeled well, but you can see it is labeled as 187 if you look on up the road (on the map). On the road it was labeled as Maple Sally Rd.

This ended up turning into a no-name road and eventually into Maple Grove Church Rd. This was 28 miles of switch backs and almost nothing but wilderness. It was actually really cool and I'm glad that I got to check it out.

Once out at the top there we came back down through Mortimer and back out by Wilson's Creek, eventually heading back down to Morganton and on towards home.

I like this area a lot as I've spent a lot of time here growing up. I can't even count the days I spent up on Harper's Creek as a kid trout fishing. As I got older Mortimer was a common spot for me to stop in as I was exploring the area with friends, whether camping, hunting, fishing, hiking or a combination of all of the above. It was nice to get back out there as I've started to do more often. There really are a lot of places up there hidden in coves that I've yet to see, so there will probably be more time spent there in the near future.

That's an abridged version of the trip. I've got a lot of pictures that are on the way and I will narrate and explain the trip a little better that way.

Thanks for checking it out.

Last edited:

ExpoScout

Explorer
Entrance to Wilson's Creek area that leads up to Mortimer, NC:

awvrxw.jpg

scxb8h.jpg

Looking down on Wilson's Creek:

24cv0oy.jpg

2eocp02.jpg

One of my furry passengers taking in the scenery and smells:

2cyp0lh.jpg

Last edited:

ExpoScout

Explorer
Heading upstream towards Mortimer:

ne87sw.jpg

nefd08.jpg

Visiting the old Mortimer complex:

6p9lky.jpg

bisadv.jpg

ws6vdc.jpg

8yicdt.jpg

ddn7lw.jpg

2r6mafs.jpg

xm7cig.jpg

xeg2m1.jpg

29iskx.jpg

(spooky window)
2irqf86.jpg

29feb08.jpg

Dogs having fun looking around:

35k8l7m.jpg

2zqek5t.jpg

ExpoScout

Explorer
Past Mortimer heading on up to our next split:

2hs7u4x.jpg

2cn6lt.jpg

Entrance to the South end of 4068 heading up the mountain:

2gseskm.jpg

ab0ad4.jpg

I think my dogs would have stayed out there for good had we given them the chance:

mil0z4.jpg

ExpoScout

Explorer
On the start of the second day I was in such a rush to get out there I didn't start taking pictures right away. These pictures start on Table Rock Rd. which is the road that borders the East side of the Linville Gorge.

Here is a campsite we stopped at to eat lunch and let the dogs explore:

2gws0tf.jpg

2q9gi9h.jpg

29p3mvd.jpg

ExpoScout

Explorer
Another campsite after heading back up towards Hwy 181. This one was nice and situated right by a small stream. The dogs enjoyed that part of it and took it as an invitation to jump in and get wet (aka smelly dogs for the rest of the trip):

117tj5d.jpg

244ze3r.jpg

e8080h.jpg

2nb7lw6.jpg

ExpoScout

Explorer
At the Brown Mtn. overlook off Hwy 181 just South of where we came off the forest road:

316l0n5.jpg

30aq83l.jpg

The dogs enjoyed the view as well:

algd54.jpg

Heading up Maple Sally Rd (187):

ru6wk3.jpg

There were great views up there as well:

357o9q1.jpg

ExpoScout

Explorer
2i8hlip.jpg

m3rf6.jpg

Heading back down to Mortimer and on towards home:

35lsvix.jpg

Sorry I didn't get more pictures, I could have taken thousands. Lots of deer running out in front of us everywhere but couldn't ever get quick enough with the camera. Not only that but it wasn't really my priority to take a bunch of pics, I was more interested in relaxing, checking out how the Rover was doing being that it was it's first trip, and not running into someone coming around the hundreds of tight one-lane corners we encountered.

It's not as long or involved as some of the trips I've taken, but a couple of fun day trips. There's still a lot to see in NC, though the thought of heading out West still nags at me constantly. Hope you guys enjoyed the pics and if any of you want to head up that way I found some great camping spots that are secluded and vehicle accessible.

BirchHill

goat farmer
great pictures! Looks like the leaves are hitting their peak. It nice to see places to explore here in the eastern part of the country. I would definitely be interested in the locations of good campsites, with 4 kids its hard to backpack in anywhere and parking and camping right next to some one else doesn't cut it either.

ExpoScout

Explorer
great pictures! Looks like the leaves are hitting their peak. It nice to see places to explore here in the eastern part of the country. I would definitely be interested in the locations of good campsites, with 4 kids its hard to backpack in anywhere and parking and camping right next to some one else doesn't cut it either.

I think the weekend prior would have been better for leaves, but they were still nice. Shoot me a PM and I will get you some coordinates for some campsites, or at least some easy directions.

jeff_wright

Adventurer
Looks like a fun journey. I'm definitely interested in making my way further north into NC. Right now I've only had time for jaunts to the Cashiers and Lake Fontana areas.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Any time Jeff, just let me know. The Grandfather district of the Pisgah National Forest has a lot of things to offer, but there are a ton of other places in WNC to explore. So hopefully these weekend trips will be more and more frequent. The mtns of SC and GA are right there on my list of places to explore when I have the chance.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
We missed each other...

We were messing around on Saturday south of Grandfather Mtn. We had no real plan, just poking about....

Thanks for more info to go find!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior