Navigating Outside the U.S.

Latetom

Observer
When driving outside the U.S. what is the best navigation equipment to use on expedition driving?

Background: Am 68 years old and technology isn’t my best subject matter. Own almost every Apple product because they are simple and work.
We have been driving the world since 28 May 2016. So far 4 continents and 22 countries. For the last two years most our travel has been in Europe or U.S. and our phones’ Google maps or Apple maps have worked for the most part. Had a Garmin that worked fairly well in Australia but was worthless in India & Nepal – but so were Google and Apple maps. What can I say but we were able to drive the Spiti-Kinnaur Loop (10 days at an average of about 12,000 ft) and for the most part didn’t get lost – I know there is only one road/trail but parts were washed out and we left the road/trail to go birding.

In early Feb. 2020 we will ferry from Spain to Morocco and spend the next 3 months exploring Morocco and the Western Sahara. Maybe go as far as The Gambia (and if we do we will be gone longer).

Looking for a recommendation on a navigational system and maps that don’t require cell service.

And as long as I am asking for help; how and where would you mount the device(s)?

We drive a 2014 Toyota 4Runner that has been modified for our driving needs.

(P.S. Went on line to Garmin to discuss their new Overlander – that I can’t afford – the person I chatted with didn’t know Garmin had maps outside the U.S. Talk about a company that has hit rock bottom and keeps on digging a deeper hole.)

sg1

Adventurer
Maps.me has good free offline maps for your IPhone or Pad. They are based on the OSM (Open Street Maps). Alternativly OSM maps in a format which works on a Garmin can be downloaded here http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ . You download them on a SD card and put the SD card into your Garmin. I have been using both systems for many years worldwide.

sg1

Adventurer
It should have a SD card slot and a large enough screen. Like you I am not a spring chicken anymore (I am 64) and like larger screens. Other than that it doesn´t matter which Garmin you use. All those features like bluetooth or traffic info are useless for me or don´t work abroad (traffic info). I have sucessfully used maps.me and the OSM maps in all of Latin America, Southern Africa, North America, Oman, Europe and some Asian countries. In Southern Africa you should get Tracks4Africa. Works in Garmins and has tons of useful information like track condition, condition of river crossings, camp grounds etc. It is made by South African volunteers who supply the info for the Overland community.

Joe917

Explorer
Definitely go with maps.me . Garmin mapping was hopeless in remote parts of South America. Maps.me is brilliant and guess what? its free. It will run on an ipad. set it up on a RAM mount and add ioverlander app. You do not need any more hardware(possibly the mount). Garmin is a waste of money.

Latetom

Observer
Thanks for everyone's comments and thoughts. We found our Garmin more than worthless in India, relegated it to the glove compartment and then lost it and never gave a thought to replacing it.
So, I am thinking of buying a refurbished iPad mini 4 and a mount (haven't got that far in my investigation) and down loading maps.me.

Will test this system beginning about 1 Feb. 2020 in Spain for about 10 days and then Morocco and the Western Sahara for about two and half months.

Again, thank you.

Joe917

Explorer
Before you invest in an ipad look at Android, specifically Samsung Galaxy, 1/2 the price of ipad. If you are invested in the i world then go ahead with ipad otherwise go with Android.

Amazigh

Garmin Montana and OSM North Africa Topo is by far the best combo for Morocco and North Africa. Maps.me is garbage if yo want to anything other than A-B following the route their algorithm decides on.

I spend at 6 months a year in Morocco and have driven pretty much every trail, I'll be out early March this year. Feel free to pm me for any info/help or if you fancy meeting up for a beer or 2. I also work as an off road guide out there ;)

Latetom

Observer
Amazigh, do you have a link you recommend to review and potentially download the maps you recommend?

I will note that Chris Scott in Morocco Overland also recommends the Garmin Montana & its N. Africa maps.

Joe917

Explorer
Garmin Montana and OSM North Africa Topo is by far the best combo for Morocco and North Africa. Maps.me is garbage if yo want to anything other than A-B following the route their algorithm decides on.

I spend at 6 months a year in Morocco and have driven pretty much every trail, I'll be out early March this year. Feel free to pm me for any info/help or if you fancy meeting up for a beer or 2. I also work as an off road guide out there ;)
Why would you allow any algorithm to determine your route?

Latetom

Observer
Todate I have allowed an algorithm to determine my route when I didn't have a better way to drive between points A & B. If there are side trips we want to take between points A & B I program them into Google Maps (the mapping program I have used more than any other program). And sometimes we start out on a predetermined route only to say, "what the hell" lets take this turn and see where it takes us. And especially in India during our five months of driving we relied on Google Maps for an overall route but knew to get to our final location we would have to roll our window down and ask someone on the street or road where is such and such.

Amazigh

Latetom,

Garmins North Africa Topo here

OSM North Africa Topo here

Chris Scotts book is a great resource, I contributed to the latest edition and also ran as a support vehicle for him on a trip last year in the Western Sahara. The WS Trip is covered in hi article in the latest edition of the Overland Journal.

Bare in mind that Morocco is developing fast and along with that a lot of the dirt tracks are being surfaced with asphalt so you may find some routes are not as much fun as a few years ago.

Google maps route functions won't work in Morocco, for some reason its blocked there, as is Google Earth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz