NATO can spout craziness

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
So I got a bug in my crack that there has to be a better/faster way to get gas out of the can. This part
ae9238caea0a5b834135f0911bb47908.jpg
in particular drove me nuts. So it was heated and twisted and finally gave up. I tooled over to the hardware store and cobbled together this.
7b2b7947ee03f32f851982d1f17eea6b.jpg
baff044b08b4f52801caa5405fe77bb1.jpg
thought I was pretty handy until a neighbor wandered by and said it will all melt and fall apart?! Used some black abs cement I had laying around. Tag at the hardware store said it was good for fuel?
Where did I go wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Used some black abs cement...
Most obvious issue seems to be that the gray nipple and the white bushing are PVC, not ABS, and the tubing is either neoprene or vinyl. ABS cement won't work on those. You can get transition cement for joining PVC to ABS or you can get all-purpose cement, but it sounds like you used the typical black ABS stuff. You could just substitute brass bushings and nipples, or cobble something from copper, and hold it together with hose clamps. You could also get a length of fuel hose from the parts store and dispense with the plastic all together.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I tried like hell to find the magic combination of brass reducers and what not and really couldnt find the right combination. The base I was starting from fit very snugly inside the 1 1/4" vinyl hose but the 1"-3/4" which would have taken me home was way to loose. No way to make up the difference reliably. The OD of the 1" PVC however did fit tight but I was worried about it getting pulled out on accident hence the Hail Mary cement play.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
If a hope and and a prayer will get me there lol I'll ride it out till it blows apart or my next days off I'll go hit a different hardware store and se what's what. :)

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
That's a great link!
As for the why...
Something fun to do on a day off with the kids making something I guess. I have a completely different looking one that works awesome and I was trying to replicate it. That one has a cast aluminum base and a large diameter hose. Maybe it was for diesel but it fits in my gas tanks.

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
That's a great link!
As for the why...
Something fun to do on a day off with the kids making something I guess. I have a completely different looking one that works awesome and I was trying to replicate it. That one has a cast aluminum base and a large diameter hose. Maybe it was for diesel but it fits in my gas tanks.

Oh, I get it - I do the same thing! :)

Just later realize I could've done it cheaper and faster. But hey, I gotta do something with all these parts for projects long undone and forgotten! ;-)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I've been very happy with a $10 Super Siphon and a ratchet strap to hang the can from my roof rack while I transfer the fuel. (And a floormat or jacket between the can and the side of the van)

IMG_20140321_131828.jpg

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Have one of those too! Ingenious with the strap and jacket! Gonna use that trixk

rayra

Expedition Leader
I think where you went wrong was putting the fatter hose in the middle like it would do any good, when you had to neck it down to the small diameter nipple to fit your vehicle's fuel filler opening. That PVC nipple fitting is scarcely any larger than the metal flex line you destroyed / replaced, so what have you gained?

My solution to slow-pouring CARB-addled cans would work as well for your narrow flex line trouble with a NATO filler - a SuperSiphon and a length of hose. Get it flowing and I go do something else for a few minutes and I don't have to stand around holding 50# in the air.

supersiphon2_zpspft4scvg.jpg
supersiphon1_zps3nfgh81c.jpg

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
My NATO spout is the original and features a secondary channel to flow air back into the tank as you pour. Fuel comes out very quickly.

Having said that, I agree with the siphon practice and use it myself, preferring to avoid holding the full can up in the air.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Sooooooo it was a weekend project. Goofing around and cobbling things together with what I had available. I have a siphon just like those with a shaker valve and everything! Promise! Just having fun. Also it's fun to watch the gas go in for my kids they think is cool.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I'll take a pic of the other nozzle for comparison :) so you can see what I am trying to emulate.

M35A2

Tinkerer
I haven't poured fuel in years. I keep a 6 foot length of 3/8" rubber fuel hose handy, and I siphon it the old-fashioned way - one good intake of breath to start the suction. (BTW, I haven't swallowed any fuel, either: it is easy to start without the fuel getting anywhere near your mouth.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior