National Luna dual battery system install in 200 Series

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Has anyone else installed a National Luna dual battery system in their 200 series ?

I installed the system and had a series of issues of it not working. It seems to be it is overheating in the location I mounted it to. It is on the P/S fender by the firewall .

It seems that location does not get any air circulation and the solenoid overheats and stops working. I'd thought I'd let others know that this is not the best location for the solenoid and ask if anyone else mounted theirs in a different location.

Needless to say this will be my new project starting tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
According to National Luna, the solenoid is rated to 90 degrees C which is 194 degrees F. I have no doubt it gets that hot under the hood.

I'll have to explore the idea of separating the the circuit board from the solenoid.

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hey Mike,

Your issue is a mystery to me as well. It could very well be a lack of air circulation in that area getting things up too hot for that Cole Hersee solenoid. I have that very same set up in my 200, mounted against the fire wall on the passenger side, and I haven't seen any issues at all. We've looked at this together, here at our shop, and swapped out complete Intelligent Solenoids in an effort to overcome this issue. I'll differ to National Luna's comment on temperature. They have told me that their circuit board will function in temperatures up to just short of starting on fire. I researched the Cole Hersee solenoid specs on our side of the planet and the rating for that guy is -40C to +85C. +85C is 185F. Definitely possible without ventilation.

Cheers,

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Moved the solenoid to on top of the battery thinking there would be more airflow. The solenoid failed a couple of times on hot days with long drives.

I'm going to split the circuit board from the solenoid and mount it behind the grill and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Solenoid.jpg
    Solenoid.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles