National Luna (90L) vs Snomaster (85L)

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Have an arb 50qt but I will be needing something bigger for longer trips. Know the NL reputation, have read the reviews from the US to Australia etc so I know they are like the gold standard so to speak. I am however not familiar with snomaster. Have only seen one in the flesh and it was owned by someone who got it free by shilling for SM so I take their input with a large grain of salt. That person hasn't met a free product he hasn't been madly in love with. It seems they are relatively new to the US market but a fair amount of aussies seemed impressed with them in reviews I read dating back to 2012. Their specs look competitive such as the warranty. I tried to find what compressor they use but snomaster just say's it's their own design even though some of their other models use a danfoss. I do SM offers a cover, wireless monitor system that comes standard. When researching the NL I was surprised to see that wasn't even an option for such an expensive unit when even arb offer's one for sale.

Just wondering if anyone that doesn't sell their product or has gotten one for free or heavily discounted has done any long term US based test with the snowmaster? Have seen a few mentions about the power consumption is not as good as the NL's. Any other complaints, minor annoyances or outright dislikes? All the reviews seem really positive other than the power thing.

Thanks.

grogie

Like to Camp
I do not own either. Thought I'd comment that I saw Snomaster at Expo East last October and liked them, and yes I too have read positive reviews. I'm currently setting up the back of my Jeep with a slide, and am looking at fitting in a Snomaster 42.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
I saw Snomaster at expo last year, and was quite happy with them. 2.5 amp draw on normal, huge model line, and the only other separate fridge/freezer sectioned other than National Luna

That being said. My 60D just came in. A couple friends have them already and are super happy with them, im sure I wont be any different.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
When researching the NL I was surprised to see that wasn't even an option for such an expensive unit when even arb offer's one for sale.
I have had the NL 90L since 2012 with zero issues.... Haven't had the need for wireless system... I guess it would be nice, but not a must...
I was looking for a 50L recently and found a used NL, not the best deal, but given their flawless record...I pulled the trigger on it.... (hope I dont jinx me-self).... LoL

Regardless, it is great to see new products hit the market !!!!

Good luck with your choice/purchase !!!

Outside somewhere

I'm getting a new one of whichever one I choose but thanks for the heads up!

I do not own either. Thought I'd comment that I saw Snomaster at Expo East last October and liked them, and yes I too have read positive reviews. I'm currently setting up the back of my Jeep with a slide, and am looking at fitting in a Snomaster 42.

I've talked to several people over the past month who mentioned seeing them at expo east, they all said the fit/finish was nice.

I saw Snomaster at expo last year, and was quite happy with them. 2.5 amp draw on normal, huge model line, and the only other separate fridge/freezer sectioned other than National Luna

That being said. My 60D just came in. A couple friends have them already and are super happy with them, im sure I wont be any different.

Good to hear they have liked their fridges. I couldn't find anyone in Nc that has one but I spoke with a guy in Tn last fall who did. It was clear after a couple of minutes he got it because of his instagram account. I think it could have caught fire and he would have found something positive to say about the fire.

I have had the NL 90L since 2012 with zero issues.... Haven't had the need for wireless system... I guess it would be nice, but not a must...
I was looking for a 50L recently and found a used NL, not the best deal, but given their flawless record...I pulled the trigger on it.... (hope I dont jinx me-self).... LoL

Regardless, it is great to see new products hit the market !!!!

Good luck with your choice/purchase !!!

Thanks! The only reason the wireless system is attractive to me is this will be in a trailer and it would be nice to be able to monitor the fridge from in the jeep while in motion. It's not a deal breaker for sure. NL has been around long enough in the toughest places on earth so I sort of lean in their direction

Thanks for the input. Will all that said if there was no difference in price, I can get the NL or the sno with no monetary savings for choosing the snomaster -- which would you choose?

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I would of pick the NL just cause of their proven track record. As stated above what compressor do these new fridges run.... ?
This was a huge purchase for us and wanted to get it right without regrets....

If there was more info or reviews on the SM that would help a lot... it is good to see no bad reviews are out there....

Good luck on your search.
I'm sure you can't go wrong with either product...
:beer::beer::beer:

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
snomaster makes their own compressor, but i think they also use SECOP (danfoss) in some fridges. Snomaster is popular in Australia and their fridges are usually designed for higher power, short cycle times to keep temps consistent.

The Snomaster 85L uses their snomaster compressor. national luna uses SECOP (danfoss).

Outside somewhere

snomaster makes their own compressor, but i think they also use SECOP (danfoss) in some fridges. Snomaster is popular in Australia and their fridges are usually designed for higher power, short cycle times to keep temps consistent.

The Snomaster 85L uses their snomaster compressor. national luna uses SECOP (danfoss).

They are re-branded as "opposite lock" brand down under and from talking to some of those guys they have no complaints so far with their sm compressor even in their conditions.

From 4x4australia - The Snomaster compressor is used in both of Opposite Lock's fridge sizes (40 and 72 litres) in Australia. It was designed to return faster pull-down temperatures via its higher power, as well as short cycle times in combination with good thermal cabinets. Our testing confirmed this compressor is the standout.

The article can be found here - https://www.4x4australia.com.au/gear/electronics-gadgets/1608/eight-way-fridge-comparison

dirtlimo

Observer
The Spring 2017 Overland Journal that just came in the mail covers the fridges in question in typical excellent fashion. Best piece of gear to own is a subscription. http://store.overlandjournal.com/back-issues/spring-2017/

ehhh, this article was lacking in my book. The most important question to me is amperage draw and what is that value? I never saw it in the article. And the graph, which blue line is which? hard to tell for me. I have an an ARB, but was very close to a NL. But only being out 15-20 days a year, I could not pull the trigger on the price increase. If the ARB fails, I may go the NL. Cheers.

Outside somewhere

Thanks but I am not interested in other brands other than national luna or snomaster. Already have an ARB 50qt that I am perfectly happy with. Just needing info from those that have and/or had a snomaster or national luna of any kind and their experiences, preference etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles