NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

Ray_G

Explorer
DS gets to PCS whole the rest of us on GAD are just stuck. Prado is a great choice, can't wait to get back to mine in Antananarivo.
I gotta say, PCS’ing as ‘essential’ amidst COVID was basically a nightmare. Empty airports are awesome, until delays ensue and the food desert becomes apparent. Transoceanic flights with masks...anyway. It was a rite of passage getting from DC to Japan.

I will say that two weeks of ROM was nice, not that I wasn’t working but being basically on house arrest was rejuvenating after coming out of being ‘essential’ in DC and such.

I’m really digging the Prado.

Mountainman75

Beats my flight from Tana to IAD on Kalitta Air. Dar es Salaam, Addis, Niger, Lisbon, IAD without getting off the plane... 31 hours and 37 minutes wheels up to down. Masks the whole time. Only 9 folks (that we know of) got 'rona.

Ray_G

Explorer
As a proof of life, and a violation in the sense of not Rover content, but the other vehicle we’d planned on getting (and likely will do light mods before an eventual bring-back) arrived today. Felt it was worth sharing.

94 Jimny with a little baby turbo engine. Roof rack is already off, rear seat is already out. It is basic as all get out-but awesome. Leaf sprung, but has power steering and AC so it will work. Wife will use it as her runabout.

Eventual plan is a light lift, slightly bigger tires...and that’s prob about it for here. Once home, that’s a different story.

latarheel

latarheel
One of the things I realized was some of the tools I kept in my pelican cases really should just be in the truck 100% if the time, with the left rear seat being a good place to store them given limited clearance bc of the shelf setup.

After URE it was time to focus on the RTT install. We had done a fairly deliberate examination of our requirements. Both on paper, as well as examining a friend’s JB Evo Space and taking advantage of Adam at BROG’s roofnest. We knew we wanted hard shell vice soft, wanted to minimize weight and have it flow well with the prospeed. In the end that’s how we ended up with the previously pictured Autohome Colombus Variant (small).

So we took it to a local vinyl place to get wrapped. We used the wife’s taco since that was a far easier transport. A lot of sheen in this pic but basically it matches the wheel color of Saqr.

Concurrently we sourced prospeed XRS crossbars since they provided the simplest solution for getting the tent on (& off)

By getting some longer M8 bolts I retained the flooring on the rack. (Side note, I have a 2nd set of bars if someone needs a set...long story).

With the tent back from being wrapped and Labor Day this weekend...it was time to mount it. A challenge for two short people but we got after it.

Not too many pics of that since she wasn’t having me just document while she did the work....

Then loaded the truck up to validate the new setup.

All told, laden, spring sag is negligible and the truck handles quite well even with weigh on the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello Ray,
Hope you guys are doing well. Your XRS load bars did well in the Baja XL and the LR4 acquitted itself well both on and offroad with three of us living out of it for 2 weeks. Those prospeed plastic floor covers are warping in the phoenix sun and show some cracking around the M8 bolts so want to go back to the chicken flooring i used to have on my D1 SD rack. Its hard to see from the pics but any tips on using washers when affixing and did you use a lip on the edge to rest on the side rails? It looks like you have the D2 tie down loops front and back for lashing but did you have to ream the mounts out for M8 bolts? Gettign ready to pull the trigger on the autohome but assume I will lose sattelite receptio0n on radio and what about awning options? I have the prospeed awning hardware on order and assume I will have clearance from the RTT.

Ray_G

Explorer
Hello Ray,
Hope you guys are doing well. Your XRS load bars did well in the Baja XL and the LR4 acquitted itself well both on and offroad with three of us living out of it for 2 weeks. Those prospeed plastic floor covers are warping in the phoenix sun and show some cracking around the M8 bolts so want to go back to the chicken flooring i used to have on my D1 SD rack. Its hard to see from the pics but any tips on using washers when affixing and did you use a lip on the edge to rest on the side rails? It looks like you have the D2 tie down loops front and back for lashing but did you have to ream the mounts out for M8 bolts? Gettign ready to pull the trigger on the autohome but assume I will lose sattelite receptio0n on radio and what about awning options? I have the prospeed awning hardware on order and assume I will have clearance from the RTT.
Lemme see if I can remember given that I haven't laid hands on her for 8 months.
-Def prefer the chicken coop in my book. I'd heard about the PS flooring-which looks good, but doesn't last.
-I used large flat washers to ensure purchase and took my time measuring/drilling holes in the chicken coop flooring to get it secured well. Won't take much, but it isn't the kind of thing you want coming loose.
-I used an angle grinder to 'massage' the chicken coop a bit to fit perfectly, i.e. created a chamfered lip of a sort. That makes it sound elegant. It was not...as noted, I used an angle grinder in 'hand held' mode.
-I believe the D2 tie downs just barely squeaked the bolts through without reaming. They work well.
-I have add on XM on the rack, I had to move the antenna to mitigate masking.
-Can't speak to an awning setup. While I want one, I didn't want to ruin the lines.

Hope that helps!
r-
Ray

latarheel

latarheel
Next step was a shakeout trip up to WV. We already knew we wanted to add some memory foam to the mattress so we took advantage of the Twin Mtn Technology Centre & workshop to get thing sorted inside.

Best done by one

Which promoted testing.

We spent the night in it (outside)...

The next am we re-attacked because the rear hatch was hitting the latch. I don’t really want to replace the 3rd brake, again, so we moved it forward about 1.5”

I do think I need to noodle through making a plate that goes across the top of the hatch to protect the glass up there and give one a place to stand if need be. A winter project.

Then we went at played.

And prepped for Advanced Wilderness First Aid in a couple of weeks by checking on the plane crash and moving the flip toy.

Hey Ray,
It looks like you used the universal mount kit from autohome to attach the RTT to the two XRS bars. Did you remove the flooring and go back to the stock M8 bolts to secure the XRS mounts? I still have the stock Prospeed floor panels which warp in the phoenix sun but I suppose you have enough clearance on the bottom plate bolts under the XRS bar to tighten and not get close to the glass? Also assume your not close to the sunroof if someone accidentally tilts or opens ? I just sold my eezi awn and want to get the columbus variant for my Prospeed. Are you satisfied with it or would you go in another direction now given hindsight?

Ray_G

Explorer
Hey Ray,
It looks like you used the universal mount kit from autohome to attach the RTT to the two XRS bars. Did you remove the flooring and go back to the stock M8 bolts to secure the XRS mounts? I still have the stock Prospeed floor panels which warp in the phoenix sun but I suppose you have enough clearance on the bottom plate bolts under the XRS bar to tighten and not get close to the glass? Also assume your not close to the sunroof if someone accidentally tilts or opens ? I just sold my eezi awn and want to get the columbus variant for my Prospeed. Are you satisfied with it or would you go in another direction now given hindsight?
So....
-used the mount kit to mount the bars, no issues with clearance. I don't open Land Rover sunroofs so that was never an issue for me.
-I left the flooring, just cut around it...and continue to add to it and modify it as this pic shows (the mounts for the bars, which are going direct onto the rack, are visible along with the ski rack, solar panels, etc.

Very satisfied with the tent. While there are a lot of great options on the market that one was the right size, and of sufficient quality, that we found it to be the right investment. I had a full matrix going of options before we decided to buy it. Of all the factors I would suggest a hard look at the size/footprint as I think our tent meshes well with the rack and the lines of the truck but it is also a small-ish tent compared to other options.

R-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
Sitting in WV on a bit of a break after a year and a half sprint in Japan, during COVID…

Figured it would be fun to check in and say:

My brake lines corroded. Great. Dealership wants $4-7k (can’t say for sure till they start). So that’s going to wait, and probably go to my Indy vice the dealer but the issue came up while I was gone, and the oldest daughter was going to use it while she was back from college on the East Coast. So after a new cooling system, and new tires, she’s back in the garage for a bit.

The oldest used my wife’s Tacoma. Which sits outside mostly, but it just runs.

On that note, I did do a thing in Japan, in addition to the Jimny. Figured with the above tie in it’s allowable for me to post my 95 Hilux. 2.8 5 speed with 82k miles on the odo, factory rear locker, and in all around amazing condition.

So happy thanksgiving to all, I’m not out of the game and Saqr will ride again-but that’s not a me in Japan problem.
R-
Ray