NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

FN-2187

Hello again Ray et al,

I rarely come by ExPo these days as I spend much more time with my D1 playing crawler than I do with the LR3 playing 'overlander', but I've recently moved up to 34" tires on the 3 and I'm about to redo all the front control arms again which is leading me to think about coils - again.

In the past I've found coils just didn't offer enough lift. I run with Johnson rods, so call it a 2.5" lift. BUT - my truck also runs a full compliment of armor - I weighed everything while I had if off last week and I figure I've got about 1000lbs of hardware bolted on semi-permanently. This isn't including any camping/etc gear I might carry.

From what I've seen, the AB HD +2" springs should (in theory) give a stock truck almost the same ride height as a truck running rods but in reality they come up a bit short. So let's say that's .5-.75" lost right there. Now add in all the weight and you're pretty much back down to stock ride height.

Of course in addition to running the rods I still have the option to click into off-road height and gain an extra 2".

So that means the coils would be the equivalent of loosing about 4" of ride height and that's just not remotely an option.

I'm currently thinking about running the HD coils with about a 2" spacer to help regain some of the lost height, but really it needs a heavier spring from what I can tell. But I don't really feel like throwing $1200 at the coil package plus the labor to swap everything out just as an experiment.

As noted, the only real solution is custom longer control arms with matching longer half-shafts, HD high-angle CVs, and adjustable coil-overs. But none of those parts actually exist to my knowledge.

Any thoughts? It would also be nice to get a measurement of wheel hub to fender lip on your truck so we can see exactly how much lift the current springs offer vs the new ones you're looking at. That may help me decide if it's worth trying my own experiments.

Thanks!
The HD springs are going to get you more than stock height even loaded down. It basically equates to what a stock truck would be at in offroad height. Perhaps the older kits sagged more than the new ones, but the new HD ones actually hold up. Ive been debating on getting a 1" spacer fabbed up, I feel like that would be the perfect combo. I have seen people running the SYA kit on top of their lifted coils but i cant see how that would be a good idea. Ive been running my truck on coils for a little while now while my wife drives a stock LR3. Overall I am very pleased with the ride and feel that it drives better in some aspects than my rig did when it was on air. Id also like to add that I drive both trucks regularly. The ride quality of air is certainly over exaggerated..

Ray_G

Explorer
...Any thoughts? It would also be nice to get a measurement of wheel hub to fender lip on your truck so we can see exactly how much lift the current springs offer vs the new ones you're looking at. That may help me decide if it's worth trying my own experiments.

Thanks!

Light snow/sleet here has me inside troubleshooting the brake pad sensor light (my Indy ripped a wire out of the front plug but didn't check that...thus the front is now wired together, light gone), and rotating tires to eek life out of the BFGs.

Amidst that I got some measurements.

ad0cd5fa658de26b0fc5a299bf3ff4c0.jpg

229084d63801a185e3525e407707366d.jpg
4439a53785e2e757f58a00843958b173.jpg
4ec50e9195ff4ecc6ea8bf552308d01a.jpg

Minor delta between front and rear highlights the slight cant at normal load out. Overall stance:

c721e931fbeda15d677f8273e0728fbe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedkills

As noted, the only real solution is custom longer control arms with matching longer half-shafts, HD high-angle CVs, and adjustable coil-overs. But none of those parts actually exist to my knowledge.

These are all attainable. A good suspension/race shop will make you custom longer control arms (For example 3Rauto.com in Denver would fabricate those). RCV will make HD axles for you (I have a set purchased through Lucky8) and Land Rover Passion will make custom travel/height adjustable coil-overs for you.

Ray_G

Explorer
Would love to see the cost on that kind of setup...as I think it would end up about 2x the value of the vehicle-all to what end? (Aside from the pursuit of doing it).

You'd still be stuck with something unduly heavy, likely with built in geometry limitations.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Height adjustment on a permanent basis? Is that the desired outcome? To defeat the designed in adjustments with the air suspension. The IID tool will program in adjustments and then they can be returned to factory settings.

Ray_G

Explorer
Let it settle for a week and a half, for an alignment. Threw a ruler on which highlights that the new OME HD is .5" higher in the front than the old OME MD.
e87297819053892a6f37190b98afa37a.jpg

The back is a full 1" higher with the Dobinsons HD than the OME HD springs (both had 13mm spacer).
d6366091f4106fe804a4b8834af021ae.jpg

Overall ride is excellent, firm but good. Cant and stance I like a lot.
21d4e341c65f6a05067411f7bc34e030.jpg

At 170k, gotta do some minor stuff like clock spring, OBA flaked out....but she's a beast.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
574bacdf935595b0e6a032bf5ba1cdbf.jpg

Why not get it done. With the $8 tool it's a rather easy job.

Nice! My tool was free as I made it out of the coat hanger wire. needed to replace steering wheel back in the day with a known faulty and sticky leather.

Ray_G

Explorer
@Ray_G what was the issue with the clock spring that caused you to replace it? Maybe I missed it in your previous posts.

Airbag light had come on, intermittent at first and then stayed on. Codes reconciled back to faulty clock spring. Easy job. As Sunrise noted you can make an airbag tool from coat hanger. I wasn't in a rush and didn't mind getting one with a handle on it, from the UK, purpose built.

Laser 7345 Airbag Removal Tool -... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1S75DC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles