Naches Wagon Trail to WABDR

T.Low

Expedition Leader
My buddy Keith and I (stock '14 FJC and my Astro ) went to lunch the other day at XXX Root Beer, you know, the one next to Das Mule Overland Outfitters, and decided to do the Naches Wagon Trail then find our way over to a section of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route.

We hit the trail about 2 pm or so. Recent rains made for lots of water features, slich roots, and a little mud. Perfect.

Traveling "downhill", southwest to northeast, we couldn't find the beginning of section one, but picked up the trail at section two. From what I've seen on youtube, I was keen to skip section one, anyway.

We actually didn't take too many pictures. The trail is a helluva lot more fun than the pics show. And make no mistake about it: it's a Jeep trail. It's tight. Real tight. And I did engage my skid plate a few times. Keith said he's changed his first bolt-on item purchase to the functional skid plate instead of the sexy front bumper.

At the end of one section I mentioned to Keith that I hesitate to use the term "nerve racking", to which he interrupted " it's exactly what it is: nerve racking".

We have no problem with pinstriping, but Neither one us has any scrapes or body damage and want to keep it that way ( well, except where my wife backed into a Tahoes bicycle rack and put my tailight out).

I'd be interested to know if anyone has ever fit a full size van through that trail. I've never threaded so many needles.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
The woodwork needed some shoring up, so Keith figured while he was at it, he'd toss in that dead body he's been carrying around in his trunk.

image.jpg

image.jpg

http://youtu.be/eMKmc1tJNRU

image.jpg

image.jpg

We camped half way through the trail. Finished it the next day, then tried to find our way over to the WABDR. By way of locked gates, old maps, iPad/gazetteer inconsistencies, and general mal-navigation we ended up back at the trail again...so we repeated a section since we were there. :coffee:

Then we decided to take hwy 410 through Wenatchee National Forest. Wow. Nice scenery.

Hooked up with WABDR and took it toward Ellensberg. Cool route. Hit Wenas Rd about midnight, went and camped at a spot I know off Durr Rd about 12:30am or so. Nice. Lotsa coyotes howling nearby.

No new marks on either vehicle. Yay.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for looking!

T.Low Tom

Bonus out takes:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Awesome... I'm saving this trail for when the new trucks finished, but it's always looked so fun. Like a Shore style Mtn. Bike trail but for trucks!!!

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Cheers

Dave

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Awesome... I'm saving this trail for when the new trucks finished, but it's always looked so fun. Like a Shore style Mtn. Bike trail but for trucks!!!

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Cheers

Dave

I said that while we were doing, felt like I was mountain biking on Galbraith in my van!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Nice work! Great articulation on your van.
I'm glad I didn't try that trail when I was down there! :Wow1:

Thanks.

It was great meeting you guys at Hawkins/Fortune Creek. Wish it had been on your way up instead of down so I could have hung with the vans a bit more.

Cheers.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the replies, fellas. I quit post trip threads cause no one ever replied and ya got the feeling it just didn't interest people so what's the point.

Cheers.

photogdave

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies, fellas. I quit post trip threads cause no one ever replied and ya got the feeling it just didn't interest people so what's the point.

Cheers.

I sometimes feel the same about posting trip videos in the photo and video section.
"There's no reply at all" - Phil Collins

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I sometimes feel the same about posting trip videos in the photo and video section.
"There's no reply at all" - Phil Collins

Especially when you put in the time and effort like your WABDR/Fortune Creek video on the Samba. I'll be watching that one for years to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94