N.A.R.V. - 2008 Chevy Express AWD Project

Oregonic

Any more details on the window coverings? What type of magnets did you use / where did you source them? Working on my build as we speak! Thanks in advance!

LYlqoY2Fo

Builder
Any more details on the window coverings? What type of magnets did you use / where did you source them? Working on my build as we speak! Thanks in advance!

We never finished the window coverings. We had prototyped and tested some, but the magnets didn't hold on the glass due to the Florida heat.

Our original idea was to cut fabric to the shape of the windows and then put neodymium magnets in the hem of the fabric. We would glue matching magnets to the edge of the windows.

For our prototype, we just used glue dots and magnets available from the craft store. It worked, but for us, it was more work than it was worth for us. When we are camping in NARV, we don't actually climb in to it until it is dark out and we are ready to sleep...so the curtains are not that critical...we just need a bed.

Oregonic

Thanks again for the response. One more question for the day - did you use adhesive for the carpet, or just staple around the edges? If adhesive, what did you use? I've never owned a stereo shop, so I have no idea what the general practice is...

LYlqoY2Fo

Builder
I did use adhesive and staples. I do not recommend anything but 3M Spray Adhesive; anything else is a waste of money. Carpet is just cheap automotive carpet from a parts store.

jhlondt

Thanks for all the great posts. I also have a 1500 AWD and I like your setup for the rear bed. I recently changed out the back of the 3rd row bench seat for the back of an Astro van bench seat, so now it folds up. That way I won't need the table portion of your setup to make a bed. Do you have any plans that you wrote up for your side enclosures? Also, where did you tie into for the 12V outlets in the back?

06xpressAWD

Finally got new wheels and tires installed.

inmhpKV.jpg

BLkpPaf.jpg

Tires: Cooper Discover ATP, E Rated, 265/70/17
Wheels: 18x8.5 MB Razors.
All from DiscountTireDirect.com, mounted/balanced/delivered/tax free.

Trust what other have said...This is THE LARGEST tire that will fit...and it will require trimming.

I installed the tires without any modifications, and there was rubbing on the back of the front tires. (see clearances at )

I then cranked the torsion bars to see if it would clear...but no luck. The inch and half or so, of height the torsion bars gain, still is not enough to clear the tires. (see clearances at )

The solution is to remove the fiberglass body panel right in front of the doors and trim them. Also, you will need to remove about 3 1/2" from the plastic in the wheel well from the same location. Here is a look at what I trimmed on the body panel.

PBvfXu3.jpg

In the end, I put the torsion bars back to where I started at and everything fits fine. No rubbing whatsoever. I took it out for a drive and am extremely happy with its road handling now. Now more spongy ride and still very quiet.

Before Pictures w/ clearance measurements

After Pictures - w/clearance After, before torsion bar tightening

Clearances after bottoming out torsion bars (3 & 1/2 turns)

TL;DR - Largest tire you can get on the GM AWD w/o lift is 265/70/17, with trimming plastic/fiberglass.
What was your offset on your after market wheels?

06xpressAWD

I did fail to mention the offset. I did in my first version of the post that didn't post for some reason. My bad.

My goal was a wider stance, so yeah...that cause the rubbing. -6mm offset on the wheels.

There is a +25mm that was available too, which would have been closer to factory, and likely would have cleared the fender.

Everything fits and looks perfect now.
Sorry, Shoulda a kept reading. -6mm offset"

06xpressAWD

LYlqoY2Fo,
I like your wheels, the choices these days are so complicated and busy looking I long for wheels of decades ago..............:ylsmoke:

The stock wheels are 17x7.5" wide, you can keep the stock backspacing and gain some stance with a wider wheel or play with both and trim as necessary....

As a general rule you can play with tire sizes alot on stock wheels, getting backspacing right on the aftermarket wheels you like, can mean sticking with smaller tires........

I would like to see some 17x9's with a 32" tire on a 1500 AWD myself.......

Problem with keeping stock offset and getting wider tires is that it could rub on some inner components in the front.

06xpressAWD

LYlqoY2Fo,
I like your wheels, the choices these days are so complicated and busy looking I long for wheels of decades ago..............:ylsmoke:

The stock wheels are 17x7.5" wide, you can keep the stock backspacing and gain some stance with a wider wheel or play with both and trim as necessary....

As a general rule you can play with tire sizes alot on stock wheels, getting backspacing right on the aftermarket wheels you like, can mean sticking with smaller tires........

I would like to see some 17x9's with a 32" tire on a 1500 AWD myself.......
IMG_20190824_173647_585.jpganswer to your question, 17x9 32" tire

mazzstar26

answer to your question, 17x9 32" tire

View attachment 535349answer to your question, 17x9 32" tire

Hey man, I'm new to the forum and recently purchased a 2012 Express AWD. I was curious as to whether you just had a stock offset with the wheels you chose and what size your lift is. I'm looking at the Boulder Offroad Vans 2'' prorunner lift which comes with Bilstein 5100 shocks and was curious if a 265/70r tire with 17x9 wheels with a -6 offset would fit. Hopefully there's still some activity on this forum because I would love to get some advise

06xpressAWD

Hey man, I'm new to the forum and recently purchased a 2012 Express AWD. I was curious as to whether you just had a stock offset with the wheels you chose and what size your lift is. I'm looking at the Boulder Offroad Vans 2'' prorunner lift which comes with Bilstein 5100 shocks and was curious if a 265/70r tire with 17x9 wheels with a -6 offset would fit. Hopefully there's still some activity on this forum because I would love to get some advise
I dont have stock offset. I went with a 0 offset on wheels. I believe stock is +45. If you have barn doors you should be fine in the back. I wanted to go with a -6 but glad I didnt because my slider door only opens 1/3 of the way now. As for the front, I have some minor rubing on inner side plastic when compressed or making a hard turn. It's not alot so I haven't dealt with it.

whith

I have zero offset as well and had that same issue with my slider. You can actually shim your slider track by unbolting it from the inside and putting some rubber washers as needed on the outside between the slider and the van body and then bolt it back in. Pretty easy to do. My door opens all the way now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94