N.A. Diesel in North American Series Trucks?

Kaisen

Explorer
My friend has one (for sale) in Idaho
Dangerously slow, unless you are on untraveled back roads
12 mpg, at best

I just spoke with my friend
His is a 1964 109 with Fairey overdrive
He gets mid to upper twenties for fuel economy

I must have mistaken the mpgs for one of his several Land Cruisers

Anyway, if anyone is interested his Rover will go on the market next month

EricWS

Observer
2.5 and 200Tdi share the same block design but the 200 has an added aluminum girdle bolted on at the oil pan.

They also share the same timing case and belt setup.
The biggest difference from 2.5 turbo to 200Tdi is the alloy head (all-new casting design but carried over the same cam, and intake/exhaust setup), and direct injection system.
Really the 200Tdi is just another evolution of the 2.5 which was an evolution of the 2.25. Its amazing how many components are shared (and interchangable)

I'd call it a complete redesign regardless.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
How can you call it a complete redesign when it uses the same block, crank, cam, etc.

Its basically a direct injection 2.5TD with an alloy head and a block stiffener

LR Max

Local Oaf
How can you call it a complete redesign when it uses the same block, crank, cam, etc.

Having taken apart a TDI 300, yes it is highly similar to the 2.25 engines. I doubt the parts are interchangeable but if you've taken apart a 2.25 engine, then you'll be right at home inside a TDI.

Now the difference between the 2.25s, 2.5s, the 19J, and the TDI's, I do not know the specifics. All I know is pretty much all the bolts are pretty much in the same place and it tears apart and goes back together pretty much the same minus the turbo stuff.

Sorry for thread hijack.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Yes all the 4-cylinders share the same basic architecture. Each evolution, from 19J to 200Tdi to 300Tdi, is a similar leap (baby step) forward in technology.

tacr2man

Adventurer
If its a 2.25 diesel and you intend going anywhere cold , make sure you have plenty of battery available , as they wernt the best starter in the world ! They would be an ok performer in a 88 but a 109 and loaded and things really slow down . An overdrive basically lets you really speed up downhill , as uphill you wont be in overdrive. About 40 years ago they felt slow in the traffic (109 with lots of kit) , they are really a high speed tractor , if you start with that view you wont be dissapointed, or surprisd come to that :smiley_drive: They are generally very reliable, and will take quite athrashing for a lot of miles, they are not what you call ahighly stressed engine . The old cav dpa type pump and the injectors dont give any trouble once set up , and the engine when tuned right should sound slightly harsh , if it sounds at all soft then timing is off . HTSH

Red90

Adventurer
I had a 2.5 diesel for years and the mileage was very close to the 200TDI. Maybe 10% less. It was quite efficient.

EricWS

Observer

That's my opinion of the motor. It was a specific factory effort to improve the 2.5TD. It was evolutionary from the old 2.5TD and NA motors regardless of the similarities due to factory production constraints. No need to clutter this thread arguing about it.

Yorker

Adventurer
I 100% agree with you guys in theory, but have you ever actually taken a 1960 Land Rover diesel to an injection shop and they were able to successfully work on it at a reasonable rate? I have not but admittedly have not tried either, I suspect it could be more difficult finding a willing shop (regardless if they had the knowledge) than just opening up the phone book.

I haven't run into a place that couldn't. The Lucas/CAV DPA pumps used to be used on everything. For any place that deals with tractors these are a piece of cake. The last quote I had was $300 for a full rebuild with Viton seals too. I didn't think that was too bad.

Yorker

Adventurer
Did the 2.5 N.A. come to the U.S. from the factory at all?

I don't think it was possible, they left North America (USA at least) before the 2.5 was produced. I think the 2.25d might even have been discontinued as an option before they withdrew from this market too.

evilfij

Explorer
2.5 NA came in around 84/85 (early 110s had 2.25 petrol or 2.25 diesel or 3.5 V8 petrol) by which time land rover had long abandoned North America.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Doh! I read N.A. as North America and missed the "US" in the question. And wasn't sure about Canada's timeline and too tired to look it up.

For the OP, we didn't even get the 2.25 5 main bearing engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94