My ZR2 Colorado and Canyon Saga

589FAB

Observer
Just posting here to keep track of the evolution of my ZR2 and Canyon. I'm always adding and replacing things on these and figured I'd share them with you guys.

To start it off:

2016 Canyon SLE Ext. Cab 4x4 3.6l. My daily driver.

Mods so far:

ARB Air compressor and custom mount under the coolant reservoir.
Hidden Bumper with winch mount and D-ring shackle mounts
Custom rear bumper
Steel front skid plate
Switch panel in overhead console

Future plans:

Lift (undecided, maybe custom Long Travel)
Already have a set of 285/70r17 Duratracs waiting in the shop
New wheels (undecided)
Custom Roof Rack

The day I picked it up from the dealer.
7k0q1Afh.jpg

Switch panel.
TuDe5lzh.jpg

Hidden Bumper with winch mount.
YKsN3CJh.jpg

Custom rear bumper.
Q6yADGPh.jpg

Steel forward skid plate.
A1JtPMrh.jpg

ARB Compressor and mount hidden under the coolant tank.
hSPFY4ih.jpg

NMCgcwSh.jpg

Now the 2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Crew Cab Duramax. My wifes daily driver.

Mods so far:

Off-road jack mount.
Spare tire moved into the bed with custom mount.

Future plans:

Winch bumper
Custom rear bumper
Frame mounted rock sliders
ARB Twin compressor
Bed Rack
Roof Top Tent

Shortly after picking it up from the dealer.
6MXFKfQh.jpg

Adding the vinyl to the side.
kQEJqpRh.jpg

Vinyl all done.
hlhwNLdh.jpg

Off-road jack mount. Pretty neat, I can mount on either side of the bed and at different angles.
rrKSWTzh.jpg

Spare tire mount in bed.
NeXbQh7h.jpg

I'll keep posting here to track the changes of each truck. Let me know what you think!

589FAB

Observer
Also, next year we are planning a two week trip in the ZR2 from Detroit, MI area and stopping at; Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Grand Tetons National Park, Bear Lake in UT and deciding between some overlanding in Moab or trekking into Colorado and running a few passes.

Wirebrush

Observer
Cool trucks! One of the best mods I did on my truck was to build a swing out spare tire carrier. Not only does the spare take up a lot of room in the bed, but it's going to be chore to get at it with a rtt.

589FAB

Observer
Nice trucks. The wheel in the bed is a tough trade off with all the lost space.

Thanks! These spare tires hang down so low on these trucks I had to move it somewhere.

Cool trucks! One of the best mods I did on my truck was to build a swing out spare tire carrier. Not only does the spare take up a lot of room in the bed, but it's going to be chore to get at it with a rtt.

Thanks! I've had a bunch of wrangler with swing out tire carriers over the years. On the truck my wife asked for no swing outs, she is 5'2" and didn't want to have the swing out in the way of the tail gate. Since she drives the truck everyday. Happy wife happy life, right? :) GM offers an in bed tire mount also, but it takes up a bunch of room so I came up with this. Once I get the RTT I'll know more about accessibility, but in my years of off roading (around 12 or so) flat tires have been pretty rare.

Wirebrush

Observer
In that case I'd look at building something like the "tire gate" that replaces the tail gate with one that incorporates a baja style spare tire mount. With that tire standing up in the bed you will have to put the RTT up pretty high to clear it, or you will have to lay the tire down in the bed which will use up a third of your bed space.

589FAB

Observer
In that case I'd look at building something like the "tire gate" that replaces the tail gate with one that incorporates a baja style spare tire mount. With that tire standing up in the bed you will have to put the RTT up pretty high to clear it, or you will have to lay the tire down in the bed which will use up a third of your bed space.

I'll be able to play around with it a little more when I buy the rtt, later this year. The rtt I'm looking at is 58x49x13". If I put the tent behind the tire, it will stick out past the bed roughly 5". So pretty close to flush with the stock rear bumper. If I mount it above the tire, it will stick over the cab roughly 5". About the same height as the factory antenna on the roof. Either way I don't think it will be too bad. I'm going for behind the tire, to keep it accessible.

Dalko43

Explorer
Awesome truck! Please keep us posted and I'd be interested in hearing feedback on how the 2.8l duramax does for offroad/overland use.

mnfeo2

Adventurer
Nice trucks! I just picked up a diesel Colorado last night and loving it. Its not the ZR2, I just got the LT with a Redline package. Do have any details on the tire mount in the ZR2? Also keep us posted how you like the front locker on that truck please.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
One of the wander west regulars long time Toyota guy with a FWC switched to a Diesel Colorado LB. He upgraded the shocks and put a aftermarket leaf pack on the rear and stiffer sway bar. He's on a huge multi month trip from Main to Alaska. He's loving the 2.8 and admits he way over packed but the truck has been great even returning 20-24mpg averages. He said the 20 was against a big head wind while running 75-80mph across the plains. So far he is really impressed with the truck.

589FAB

Observer
Awesome truck! Please keep us posted and I'd be interested in hearing feedback on how the 2.8l duramax does for offroad/overland use.

This is our second 2.8l colorado, and I used to have the 2.8l CRD Jeep liberty. I've always been a fan of these little diesels. I haven't had these trucks offroad much but so far I have no complaints.

Nice trucks! I just picked up a diesel Colorado last night and loving it. Its not the ZR2, I just got the LT with a Redline package. Do have any details on the tire mount in the ZR2? Also keep us posted how you like the front locker on that truck please.

If you search the name on the side of the ZR2 on facebook you will find more information on the tire carrier. I'm hoping for a day trip this weekend where I can check out the lockers. I really like that it enables you to use the rear locker while in 2wd, and if it's in offroad mode it has no speed limiter.

One of the wander west regulars long time Toyota guy with a FWC switched to a Diesel Colorado LB. He upgraded the shocks and put a aftermarket leaf pack on the rear and stiffer sway bar. He's on a huge multi month trip from Main to Alaska. He's loving the 2.8 and admits he way over packed but the truck has been great even returning 20-24mpg averages. He said the 20 was against a big head wind while running 75-80mph across the plains. So far he is really impressed with the truck.

Like i mentioned above, this is our second diesel colorado. We've only done road trips so far, no offroad, but the mileage is really impressive. Once someone comes up with an extended range tank for these, I think they will really over come the toyota for expedition rigs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles