My wranglers steering is too sensitive, help!

HenryBraxton

So about a week ago i dropped 2k into getting my old 2002 jeep Wrangler X back on the road. New tires, brakes, hoses, fluids, wipers, headlights, the works.. now it feels as if the steering is somewhat loose and overly sensitive. Its like, if im going straight and hit a tiny bump i have to move the wheel around just to keep it straight.. it was never like this before. If im going around turns instead of doing one smooth turning motion i have to do several smaller turning motions to keep it within the lines. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeep

Adventurer
As stated above, inspect all steering components. You may require a alignment, with special attention to the caster setting!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
And new off road tires can be very wiggly for the first few thousand miles. They need to dry out and harden a bit. Tires used to sit in a warehouse and dry up nicely. Now shipping is so fast that new tires are still warm when they get delivered.

Caster, track bar, pitman arm, steering box play. Have someone wiggle the steering while you're under the jeep. Look for play.

PhulesAU

Explorer
Search Death Wooble. It will provide you with thing to check / look at / test when trying to diagnose your symptoms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior