My White JKU Expedition Build

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I have had many vehicles in the last 4 years since selling my TJ. I have owned a '09 GLI, '10 FJ, '10 GTI, '12 Xterra, '13 CC and now a 2013 JKU Sport. I have been searching for the ultimate fun and expedition vehicle with some VW"s sprinkled in. I always said I would never own the new JK because I didn't think they were Jeep enough. Man, I was wrong.

On 12/28/2012, I went in and test drove a 2 door JK with 35's which was a blessing in disguise. It drove like crap and I hated it. So, I said what the hell let me drive the JKU with 35's. It drove great even with the ProComp lift. I was sold so I made an offer and got a great deal for them to take back a two month old CC. My new car payment was even cheaper than the CC lease payment so I'm very happy I will actually own this thing in 5 years or less.

On 12/28, I ordered an AEV 2.5" lift with geometry correction brackets. Also some 35" Duratracs and ProComp 7069's.This was the perfect lift for me for 35's and very light wheeling with lots of long trips planned and camping. I really love this thing so far!!

Day 1:
photo-2.jpg

Last edited:

DallasJKU

Adventurer
On 1/8/2013: My AEV showed up and then on Tuesday my Poison Spyder Brawler Lite front bumper showed up. ON Tuesday, I had my AEV installed and Wednesday, I took the bumper to the powder coaters.

photo-1.jpg

DallasJKU

Adventurer
The plan for the build is to build it more for the road with off road looks. I want to keep the weight down so after saving weight in the rear with a TF tire carrier/PS rear bumper, I think I will keep the stock fender flares and no winch. I also will look into some aluminum sliders or maybe just go with the stock Rubi rails for some light protection. I will stay far away from rocks for the most part.

I want to be able to drive all over the country so light as possible will be necessary. I will someday go for 37's, but not while my dog is alive. 35's are pushing the max for his 9 year old body. I will also probably purchase an ORH cargo or fastback top and possibly sell my hardtop because I live in apt with no place to store it.

I mainly went with AEV because of their rep for on road performance and so far have not been disappointed. I need to get it aligned to dial in as much as possible without too many adjustable parts. I really like how quiet this lift is. No rattles or clunks. My Xterra squeaked all the time which is why I sold it and also because not one thing fit like my aftermarket front bumper that I waited 6 months for. I have waited a max of 1 week for stuff on the JKU. I went in to buy a 2door, but so happy I test drove the 4D. The extra space and practicality is worth it. I have a year one budget of $10K and have spent about $4700 so far. I need to get C gussets welded on, TF rear tire carrier, PS rear bumper, some PIAA/LED lights and ORH top. That will leave me some money to play with or use the leftover for a 3 week west coast drive from Dallas this summer.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Well I screwed up one lug bolt on my TF tire carrier and now have to cut it out and try with another bolt and probably have it welded in. Sucks, but learning experience and hopefully not a costly one. I decided to not PC my rear Poison Spyder bumper but I will paint myself since it will take the most abuse from me. That way I can just rattle can it when necessary.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Projects left to be completed...Fix TF lug bolt and mount tire, paint PS rear bumper and then mount, wire PIAA front lights on bumper and weld C gussets. I have zero ability other than painting so these will all be done professionally.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Good Looking Jeep Bright White is a Great Color. On your Tire carrier stud you can always buy a new wheel stud from a TJ at auto zone and then cut and drill out the old one and press in the new one total cost about one US dollar.

The longer you have you 2.5 AEV the more you will love it! I have had mine on for a year and man its great. I drove loaded with climbing, and camping gear to Wyoming last summer. The suspension handled great fully loader and pulling my little Coleman pup.

Nate

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If you plan on doing long road trips I would think twice about selling your hardtop. The rag tops are super noisy, and offer zero security. I'm sure you know this, but I actually had to look hard for a hardtop only Rubicon. I see soft tops going for $2-300 in new condition on Craigslist. I assume you will do gears when you go to 37s?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
X2 on the hard top. Long term you will be glad to have it. I Drove a soft top TJ for ten years all over the country and always wished I had a hard top. If you look around I bet you can find a friend who would let you keep it at there house in the back yard or even someone who would split a storage place with you during the time you wanted to run top down.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Good Looking Jeep Bright White is a Great Color. On your Tire carrier stud you can always buy a new wheel stud from a TJ at auto zone and then cut and drill out the old one and press in the new one total cost about one US dollar.

The longer you have you 2.5 AEV the more you will love it! I have had mine on for a year and man its great. I drove loaded with climbing, and camping gear to Wyoming last summer. The suspension handled great fully loader and pulling my little Coleman pup.

Nate

I ordered the bolt from TF, but I ended up ordering a whole new adjustable bracket from Northridge. I know many people are way more handy than I am so I didn't want to waste my time and money getting it fixed when I can order a new one and know that I will still have a warranty if something fails form TF. If my only mistake on this Jeep costs me $190 then I will feel lucky!!

DallasJKU

Adventurer
X2 on the hard top. Long term you will be glad to have it. I Drove a soft top TJ for ten years all over the country and always wished I had a hard top. If you look around I bet you can find a friend who would let you keep it at there house in the back yard or even someone who would split a storage place with you during the time you wanted to run top down.

Good point!! I will figure out a solution because I really like the way the hardtop looks too!!

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Changed my mind about the PS rear bumper. I think I will be going with the OR Fab rear bumper. I'm not interested in drilling and with my limited skills and even less limited tools I think its best to avoid that. OR Fab and Teraflex tire carrier will be a noticeable weight savings over other bumper/tire carrier combos plus I will save somE monEy to put towards my ORH cargo top!!

looks really good. i like the direction your going, simple yet functional and not to over the top. the weight savings is good. especially if you do lots of traveling, every little bit of possible xtra mpg helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles