My Westfalia Syncro!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Zuren,

As long as your wallet is thick enough, Gowesty.com and van-cafe.com have all the parts you need. New parts are added all the time and right now we are getting close to be able to replace every single item on a Vanagon. People are getting very creative building parts for OEM that are no-longer sold by VW.

Average fuel mileage on a 3000 miles trip across the continent was about 16-17 mpg.

Chadman

Man this thread sucks now I want a VW again! I had so many good, and bad experiences with them in the past (fires, blown engines, naivety etc.) that I turned and went with Toyota. Wish I had never seen this. Now I want to sell my 4Runner and get a Westy Syncro!

Here's a pic of the last (out of 7) VW's I had. NEVER should have sold it!

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 43

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
This is very cool. Did you use Craigslist to find it? I talked to Jim about his trip and it sounded fun! The gf likes it too and wants to head across the US and Alaska with it...thoughts?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Time for an update!

The Syncro spent the last summer in Canada.
My sister has been using it with her family.

As usual, a few issues arised this summer.
The transmission had to be rebuild twice because of the 4th gear popping out. Some work on the brakes and the rear wheel bearings.

It now runs perfectly. No vibration and the engine pulls really nice.

I brought it back to my parents and got it prepped for the winter storage - including a full bath. I cannot believe how the interior has stayed nice over the last 25 years. The quality and engineering of these campers is like nothing else. People have no clue that it is so old.

Today while going through my old papers, I found the phone number of the original owner who sold it to my 10 years ago. He sold it because he was getting too old to enjoy it - he was in his early 70s if I remember correctly.
I took a chance and dialed the phone number on the sale contract.
His wife answered.

They are both still in great shape and were so excited to get some news! She said that her husband still regurlarly talks about it.
It made me feel really good and I sent them some recent pictures.
I could tell how happy they were to have an update to know that the van was still around.

So I guess there won't be any other update until next spring...I am really looking forward to take it down to Eastern Canada some day, perhaps doing the new Trans Labrador highway.

1056538999_pe68o-L.jpg

1056541186_hUFas-L.jpg

1056541897_yAoSh-L.jpg

1056536679_2LK7L-L.jpg

1056537424_QxCkd-L.jpg

1056538257_hq6iw-L.jpg

slooowr6

Explorer
Time for an update!

The Syncro spent the last summer in Canada.
My sister has been using it with her family.

As usual, a few issues arised this summer.
The transmission had to be rebuild twice because of the 4th gear popping out. Some work on the brakes and the rear wheel bearings.

It now runs perfectly. No vibration and the engine pulls really nice.

I brought it back to my parents and got it prepped for the winter storage - including a full bath. I cannot believe how the interior has stayed nice over the last 25 years. The quality and engineering of these campers is like nothing else. People have no clue that it is so old.

Today while going through my old papers, I found the phone number of the original owner who sold it to my 10 years ago. He sold it because he was getting too old to enjoy it - he was in his early 70s if I remember correctly.
I took a chance and dialed the phone number on the sale contract.
His wife answered.

They are both still in great shape and were so excited to get some news! She said that her husband still regurlarly talks about it.
It made me feel really good and I sent them some recent pictures.
I could tell how happy they were to have an update to know that the van was still around.

So I guess there won't be any other update until next spring...I am really looking forward to take it down to Eastern Canada some day, perhaps doing the new Trans Labrador highway.

1056538999_pe68o-L.jpg

I agree with you 100%, Westy Syncro is a great package a very nice self contain camper with great ability. I still missed my Westy even I've my Tacoma with camper today.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I love it!

What a great story! The former owner will tell that story forever!

Every time I see a Syncro I want one so bad... I really want the Subaru engined one!

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Beautiful, thanks for the update.

Question: What's the digital readout on the driver's side under the turn signal actuator? (lower part of dash panel).

Also - did you wire your Hellas to feed power directly off the battery?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Man Christian, it looks great! Who did you get to do the trans rebuild, or did you do it yourself?

I found a great shop here in Montreal. $2215 including labor, new clutch/pressure plate, etc.

Here a few more pictures from my last ride this season...these are the last ones I promise..

:)

1059477510_2fYpx-L.jpg

1059480378_msBfE-L.jpg

1059481301_zHehh-L.jpg

1059482601_RfGE3-L.jpg

1059483864_oiivq-L.jpg

1059486056_EG6vg-L.jpg

1059488488_dRfQ2-L.jpg

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
Awesomeness!! :victory:

Sounds like it's time for an ExPo Syncro run in the Spring!

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
pics=good

more pics= always better

I've had this idea in the back of my mind to promote diversity thru a van run :sombrero:. The AstroLander, a Syncro, a lifted 4wd Yotavan, a couple modified Delicas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94