My Wandering Soul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitey

Adventurer
Looks like he's going to take 40 through OKC. To bad he's not taking 30 to 287 through DFW...lots of hosts here for him.

Anyone in OKC he can meet with?

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I was going to go through Central Texas, to salvage something from the trip out. I knew Big Bend was now out of the question, but I was still hoping to get through Dallas then onto White Sands. Due to everything though I can't waste the extra $130 or so it would cost.

So yes, I am coming through Amarillo which is about where I should be ending up tonight.

Have to catch up next time...or on the road somewhere.

Good luck the rest of your trip!

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Great trip and I'm really excited.. It's like a real, live, expoordition and the best kind. The one where you are vulnerable and really may not have any money and possible mechanical problems --- the whole gammet... It really is super bad ***.

>Andre, that story did come up....now when are you going to finish the pig?

Dan, piggie I hate to say won't be resumed any time in the near future. I decided when I have the time, to throw the drivetrain into a really clean 62 (coil springs up front, leafs in the rear, low height spring over concept I have planning for some time) as the labor on mostly the finish work of the 55 is going to be tough. We bought a house, I'm building a new shop on the property, and the 55 will be stored there and the body will be worked on at some point. The idea is to go to the 62 for now probably sometime in the next year or two, after I finish the last of my Benz powered Toyota truck.

So that is the plan. Kind of a bummer but I figure I can build it as I have the time, enjoy it, and a FJ55 will only be rarer in 10-15 years anyway. And because it's a Cummins and all aspects of the drivetrain are brand new or in great shape and bullet proof, that it should in theory last a long time. Long enough for me to put the drivetrain into the FJ55 after I kill the 62 body. I'm not sure if this is a good plan or not, but it's where my head is right now. I posed this question a few years ago on the FJ55 build thread. And then I happened to come across the super clean 62 so things are sort of falling into place there. I'd love to hear your insight about it, at some point...

</hijack> (sorry about that Phil... )

When does it look like you will be in Phoenix or nearby?

I don't know. I am actually going to head to Prescott first, then to Flagstaff to work on the Cruiser and then when all thats done, hopefully I will have a week to get from Flagstaff to Amado and do some site seeing and backcountry travel along the way. I will be stopping in Phoenix on my way down.

There are a lot of people I want to meet up with so if anyone wants to set up a meet and greet once I know my time frame that would be cool.

Careful - he just wants a pint of your blood to complete his shrine!

Too funny.

Last edited:

RedDog

Explorer
Phil, I'm parked at my mother's condo in Cocoa Beach, Florida urging you and the cruiser onward. Best of luck. So often in life, good things evolve from such challenge and adventure.

As I've mentioned to you elsewhere, I quit my ad agency job with a firm I was with 14 years and will be going home to new challenges myself. I'm technically unemployed for the first time in my life but I saw the Nationals and Braves play today; there's a rocket launch tomorrow night; STS-133 Shuttle Discovery lands next Friday and I'm sitting about 100 yards from the Atlantic Ocean sipping Canadian Rye Whiskey. I should have been unemployed sooner in life. It's more fun.

Take care.

The Human Element

After a decent night's sleep and good company at Wes Craiglow's of Central Overland (6string) house I hit the road on I-40 through Arkansas. My number one frustration right now is that I can no longer get out and explore the states I am driving through. I-40 is a long and boring road made even worse by the empty passenger seat. That said I was feeling pretty good today. The night spent with Wes was just what I needed to snap out of the funk I have been in.

Plotting along I-40 I decided to stop into Fort Smith. What I encountered was a weathered, tired town, full of atmosphere. Rich in history this was my kind of place to explore. Everything from the gallows, the court house, the ruins of Fort Smith to the Trail of Tears I did not know where to explore first. This was the first time on the trip I was ok with the situation.

Oklahoma came and went as I drove along Route 66 and local side roads. I was determined not to have my first steps into Texas be on I-40. Thankfully, Route 66 follows right along I-40. I was in heaven. Around every corner was something absolutely fascinating. My love for Texas was blossoming. It is the human element I value the most with my travels. That is what I remember for years to come. Not the pretty sights or the thrills, but the relationships you form with people. If it wasn't for the human element in life would anything really matter?

I have met a lot of fascinating people along the way who have opened their houses up to me and others who I have shared good conversations with. As I drove down Route 66 in Texas, I stumbled upon a gentleman walking along the side of the road. It was obvious he was walking for something greater than himself. Then I happened upon his support RV and decided to wait for him to catch up. Willie Taylor was his name and he was walking across America in support of the USO and the American Legion. We stood there and talked for a bit before I headed on my way to Amarillo, Texas for the night. You can support him on his Facebook page at gator196043@yahoo.com It is encounters like this that I will remember for years to come.

Tomorrow I head into New Mexico and then Sunday I arrive in Arizona.
IMG_0234.jpg

Last edited:

7wt

Expedition Leader
Sounds like you are starting to find yourself and a bit of peace Phil. Glad to hear you have a shine for Texas. One day you are going to have to get down to the central part of the state. Good folks, good food and good fishing...what more could a guy actually want? BTW, I have family in Ft. Smith but haven't been there in 30 years or so.

Echoes of our past

Knowing I only had a little over 200 miles to travel today I decided to sleep in a bit and get on the road refreshed. The first stop of the day would be Cadillac Ranch. Every since the dawn of man, humanity has always felt the need to leave its mark on the world. It may be raising decent children, helping others, exploring the unknown, telling stories, or creating art. Cadillac Ranch is such a place. What's fascinating about this place is that it is ever changing. Even I got into the spirit and left my mark on one of the cars. Every paint drip, brush stroke, and paint spray tells a story. There was a person behind that mark. What made them come to this place, where is their path in life leading them, and what motivated them to paint what they did?

The day wore on and the landscape changed drastically as I drove down old Route 66. I was in awe by the relics of the old route. People made their livelihood along this road, but even though those days are long gone they left their marks for future generations to wonder at. When I arrived in Albuquerque, I noticed signs for Pentroglyph National Monument. Not knowing what it was I knew I had to investigate. It's funny how the theme of the day continued with this stop. As I walked along Rinconada Canyon I began to wonder about the lives of the people who made these marks ranging from pre-colonial to the Spanish conquest. I can feel the energy radiating off these sites. The power of the past is there, we just need to open ourselves to it.
IMG_0251.jpg

Tomorrow. . . Arizona! As always, check my blog for more pictures from the day.

Last edited:
Costly Mistake

3/06/2011
Sunday started off uneventful. The Cruiser was running fine and I had a nice easy start to the day. Since I would be driving straight through Petrified Forest National Park it made no sense to miss it. The crowds were few and I breezed through the gate with my National Park pass. Turns out the park is one of the most frustratingly limiting National Parks I have ever been to. There are just not enough turn offs or hiking trails. It is very beautiful, but without enough places to explore or stop at it felt restrictive.

After about an hour and a half in the park, I left for my final destination in Flagstaff. I had plenty of time to take it easy and stay off I-40, maybe visit Meteor Crater along the way. Once I realized I had to pay I turned back around and noticed a dirt road parallel to the crater that would bring me to Flagstaff. Breaking out my Benchmark map it looked like an easy dirt road and it was open according to the signs. Turns out this would be a costly mistake.

As I drove down a Chavez Pass Road next to the crater, I was in awe of the beauty of this area. Things were going smoothly as I turned on forest road 82. This is when things started to get a little hairy. I double checked the Benchmark map to see what kind of road it was. Stilling showing it as an unpaved road and not a 4wd road I kept going. My fuel was low and I was closer to the main road if I kept going in the direction I was going. By the time I realized this was not just a dirt road it was too late to stop or turn around. If I tried I would be stuck.

I kept pushing forward turning onto forest road 125 as I neared a paved road that would bring me right into Flagstaff. At .5 miles to the main road, I slid a few feet into deep snow and I was stuck. I started digging, then some fancy driving, then some digging, and then some fancy driving finally getting unstuck. Getting back on my path I reached my next road block at .2 miles from the main road. It was a locked gate with signs saying road closed in winter. I poked around to see if I could find a way through as I just did not have the gas to turn back after the slow going my route turned out to be. Realizing there was no way through. I carefully turned around on a dry spot. Thankfully, my tire tracks made the trip back to another road much easier.

When I found the next nearest road to the main road I sat there and studied the map. This seemed like the most logical road to take. I have never been so wrong in my life. It turned out to be the most technically challenging road I have ever been on. Deep muck, rocks, and numerous muddy water crossings turned out to be too much for the broken Cruiser. I began to overheat, but I could not stop my forward momentum otherwise I would be waste deep in muck.

Finally, I was into a camping area and stopped the Cruiser just as steam began to billow out of the engine bay. As I waited for it to cool I activated my Spot help so people could find me should I need help, thankfully I had a cell signal so I could talk to them over the phone. After filling the radiator up, I started to travel to the main road, but I had to stop every quarter mile to fill up the radiator again. Then I hit yet another closed gate. This time I knew I could not possibly turn around and go back out how I came. Thankfully, I figured a way through. Turns out the road is closed for winter from one direction, but not the other.

As I turned onto Lake Mary Rd, I realized the Cruiser could go no further. A few calls later and Gavin (Fergie) and Louis (Fourbyland) were on their way to tow me to the nearest gas station. It was there that we realized, with the help of Dave (MoGas) that the water pump was leaking water. The Cruiser could go no further without repair. My home on wheels was dead at a gas station and I had no place to stay so I had to spring for a dirty hotel with the limited money I had. Now it's time to figure out what to do from here.
IMG_0439.jpg

No pics of the route I took as I was not inclinded to stop my forward progess to get the shots. As always check my blog for more images.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior