My Wandering Soul

Status
Not open for further replies.
he is in Mecca now and we may have to go up from Phx to visit him instead of waiting for him to make his way south

You guys may have to. I just may not leave, lol.

Phil,

I have read a couple of your post before and today over lunch read through your blog! You have a way of writing and portraying your story that I really enjoy!

I think it is a talent that you may not have considered but may help carry you far in life.

If your travels ever take you to southeast South Dakota - I have a couch, cold beer, and room to stretch.

:smiley_drive:

Thank you very much. Since this is a soul searching journey I have tried to put what's swirling around inside my head written down without it being TOO personal. I'm trying to bring the reading it my head without scarying them away. I very much need an editor though as my grammer and spelling is terrible, lol.

Last edited:

7wt

Expedition Leader
Today started a new chapter in my life. The main point of the journey I have been on is to gain new experiences, contacts, and skills. This morning Scott Brady gave me that chance. This is a series of steps over the next two months that I hope will allow for great personal growth.

IMG_0452.jpg

Until you complete your transformation...STAY OFF THOSE DAMN BIKES!!!! They will only bring you more trouble and heart ache. On a serious note, I am glad you are starting this new chapter. Hopefully this one will treat you better than the previous. You deserve a break and you couldn't have asked for a better opportunity! Try to make everyday better than the last and be sure to enjoy yourself along the way. That is what drove me after my divorce and it helped a ton.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Looks like we don't have time to do the head gasket so its the waterpump and change the fluids. Things got all screwy because of the waterpump. Don't really have a place to do it.

Now I'm confused. I thought the main problem was oil consumption/head gasket?

My Land Cruiser is on its last legs and will roll over to 300,000 miles sometime in the next few months. It leaks oil like a sieve and burns oil at a rate of a quirt every 500 miles. It used to be worse, but I was able to extend its range using 20w-50. The transmission is also throwing codes and the engine has an extremely rough idle during the first 5 minutes it is running. It sounds almost as if it's about to stall at any minute.

I understand that you got some help back east and the tranny is no longer throwing codes and the idle is better.

I dont understand why you dont have time for repairs (thought that was the goal?), what is more important than getting to that job in Montana?

I must be missing something.

Last edited:
Now I'm confused. I thought the main problem was oil consumption/head gasket?

I understand that you got some help back east and the tranny is no longer throwing codes and the idle is better.

I dont understand why you dont have time for repairs (thought that was the goal?), what is more important than getting to that job in Montana?

I must be missing something.

The oil cunsumption has been fixed. I'm shocked on that and yes the head gasket needs to be done, but with the water pump down and having to be towed down here I kind of lost a place to get it done. Really need it though so I am asking around. The OJ shop is only avaible until about Thursday which is not enough time to get the head gasket done. A few things fell through. I'm working on figuring something out though.

Last edited:

roamingaz

Explorer
Replacing a head gasket is pretty easy and could be done in a day. Are you planning on having the head rebuilt?

roamingaz

Explorer
Not sure on cost, I will ask around and I am not sure on your engine but most Toyota engines need to have the head bolts replaced too, I am sure someone more knowledgeable on your particular engine will chime in.
I would be happy to help out replacing it but my next day off is Sunday/Monday.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Not sure on cost, I will ask around and I am not sure on your engine but most Toyota engines need to have the head bolts replaced too, I am sure someone more knowledgeable on your particular engine will chime in.
I would be happy to help out replacing it but my next day off is Sunday/Monday.

I can't remember what a grind kit runs. I'm thinking 300 ish including the other gaskets needed for the job but not included in the kit, and a length or 2 of Toyota vacuum hose.

Head bolts have a specification in the manual for inspection.

Page EG-62

17. INSPECT CYLINDER HEAD BOLTS
Using vernier calipers, measure the thread outside
diameter of the bolt.
Standard outside diameter:
10.85 – 11.00 mm (0.4272 – 0.4331 in.)
Minimum outside diameter:
10.6 mm (0.417 in.) .
If the diameter is less than minimum, replace the bolt.
Manualpage.jpg

Dave

$300ish. Oh dear lord. Not sure if that's in the donation budget. Time to run the numbers again and double check.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94