My VW Syncro Westy Build - Adventure is out there.

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
New to the site. Thought I'd post up a few pics of my Subaru powered Syncro Westy. Finished the build a while back and have been enjoying it since. Looking forward to posting more on the site in the future. I've listed some highlights of the build below.

1990 Syncro Westy
54K original miles

*2" lift springs with Fox Shocks
*2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5L Drive by Wire
*Propex 2800 Heater
*Upgraded fridge (Truckfridge)
*Rear cabinet door mod
*Undercarriage completely gone through. New seals, bearings, powdercoating etc.
*Dual Batt Banks
*Custom electrical Sub Panel
*330W solar system on roof
*RMW Bumpers, swing carriers and engine conversion kit
*Euro headlights/grill
*Dual awnings with custom mounts
*16" Wheels

Here's a link to my original build thread, lots of detailed build info here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802924

VWRoad.jpg

P8316834.jpg

P7033879.jpg

P7033875.jpg

DSC05453-1.jpg

DSC00356.jpg~original

DSC04198.jpg

DSC05432.jpg~original

Hodakaguy

Last edited:

mdmead

Adventurer
I've drooled over your VW at the Moxee Volksfest on more than a couple of occasions. Very sweet rig!

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Fantastic. I'm a huge fan of these rigs....even if I can't spell "Syncro" correctly unless I have go-by....

Really nice setup.

SG

Jb1rd

Explorer
Sweet to see you over here, I have been pouring over your gear/farkle list for your Adv bike, great stuff and the van is cult status for sure!!

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Fellow advr. Subscribed to this build over there long ago. Solar details? Like performance info...how do you like it, how many amps do you pull, how many amps does it push in full sun, etc. I'm gobbling up solar info. Panels link?

Last edited:

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
I've drooled over your VW at the Moxee Volksfest on more than a couple of occasions. Very sweet rig!

Thanks, That's a fun meet and we always look forward to that event. I need to try and make a few more shows next summer, missed the Portland show this year.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Fellow advr. Subscribed to this build over there long ago. Solar details? Like performance info...how do you like it, how many amps do you pull, how many amps does it push in full sun, etc. I'm gobbling up solar info. Panels link?

The panels are 110w Mono flex panels, they were purchased direct from China in a group buy that a friend set up. Here's a link to my build thread, I also added a link to my build thread at the start of this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802924 There is quite a bit of info on my specific setup there.

I'm running a 12v truck fridge and a propane heater (Propex 2800 at night). I'm also running two batt banks (one under each seat). I'm running the panels through a MPPT controller and can get 22amps coming back into the system in bright sunlight. The panels are really over kill for my needs under good weather conditions but still provide usable power when weather conditions are less than idea.

Hodakaguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94