My (upcoming) Y62/QX56/QX80/Armada solo camping SUV build for trails

GED2

Hello,

I've a 2014 Frontier King Cab Pro-4X with shrockworks front bumper with winch and rear bumper.
It has airbags as it carries often my 2016 Outfitters Mfg Caribou Lite 6.5ft.

My buddies have gotten a 2020 4Runner TRD Pro and a 2020 GX460 (stock).
We've done Mt Patterson recently for example, and I could not carry the truck camper
as the trail was a bit too shacky. Some scraping was involved...
Sleeping in the King cab is not a King's sleep.

So I am looking for an SUV that I can add a lift kit, 35" or 37" tires, a winch bumper
a rear carrier bumper for gas and/or spare tire, and redo the interior with drawers & a fridge for sleeping stealthily alone in it in the woods.

I've loved the interior of the first gen GX470 with all the wood mixed with leather, and hate the second gen GX460.

I've looked at a number of platforms: GX470, LX470, LX570, Frontier Double Cab Long Bed, Tacoma, Tundra, Titan XD.
If I go with a pickup, I need a 6+ ft bed and four doors with each it own independent opening window (no extended cab).

I like horsepower so I've drooled on the Tundra Double Cab 6.5ft bed with supercharger.
You could have it with a 38 gallon tank or even a 46 gallon fuel tank (nice for the range when exploring trails...)

I've also been staring at the asking prices for anything with a Toyota badge and their mileage: Ouch!

Looks like same as my Frontier Pro-4X vs a Tacoma TRD Off-Road, Nissan delivers way more value per dollar.

So I am looking at an SUV with a powerful engine (the 5.6 Endurance V8 in its ~400hp trim) which gives me 3 bases:
The 2011+ Infiniti QX56
The 2014+ Infiniti QX80
The 2017+ Nissan Armada

I've to consider that all those mods cost money, and so, I don't want a too old / too much mileage base to start working on.
I also don't want a new one where I would have to maintain Warranty.
So far, my ideal one would be a 2019 Nissan Armada SL+ (I prefer the looks of the front) in Forged Copper with the Caramel Interior with 30K miles for $30K.
The SV would be out of the question as it does not have the multi-view camera which allows you to see where your front wheels are.
I also would prefer to have an opening moonroof.
Would it make more sense to start from an old QX56 like this 126K miles 2011 QX56 for $16K?
What about the bankruptcy of Hertz? Any good deals to be had there?

Any hints on which one to buy? What else should I look at? (I'm in San Jose, California).

My list of mods in order would be a 3" lift? bigger (35?, 37?) tires? Skid plates? Winch front bumper? Rear Carrier Bumper?

Thanks !

Viper

We are plowing the same field, my friend. Hertz is dumping Armadas left and right, and some are low miles (under 10K). I'd go with the Armada - 2017+ as you noted. The Infiniti is the same hot chick with more make up and nice clothes, so the date will cost you more but you still end up at the end of the night in the same bed. I haven't seen many with 30K miles and a 30K price - most are 32 - 35 with those miles and specs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles