My Tundra Build

I have two rules when building a truck

1. everything need to be functional with minimal impact to the truck ( cutting, drilling new holes, etc..)
2. aesthetics are optional but you need to be happy with what you drive and how it looks...

i will update this list as we go for reference:

2016 Tundra SR5 with Navigation and Safety package.
currently 61k miles

Exterior
Color matched mirrors caps
Color matched door handles
TRD Pro Grill color matched
Shorty Antenna
Leitner designs bed rack
Leitner designs XL Gear Pods on each side of Rack:electrical in Passenger side of XL Gear Pod for external power and hook ups for USB's, Solar plug in, and power plug for tent
BedSlide
SnoMaster 66D Fridge/Freezer
ADD Front and Rear Bumpers
Warn Zeon Platinum 12-s Winch
Factor 55 ProLink
Warn Fairlead
Alu-Cab Expedition III Roof Top Tent
Alu-Cab Awning
RCI Hi-Lift Bed rail mount
Hi-Lift Jack

Drivetrain
Nitro Gear 5.29
ARB Front and Rear Lockers

Interior
OEM style Dual Voltage gauge

Suspension
Fox 2.5 Coil-over with DSC
Fox rear 2.5 with DSC
Icon RXT Leaf Springs
Total Chaos Upper control arms

Wheels and Tires
5 of Fifteen52 Traverse HD 17x8.5
5 of Yokohama MT G003 37x12.50
spare is on bedslide in bed

Lighting and Electrical
Baja Designs S2 Sport Scene lights in Amber Rear and Side mounting
Baja Designs OnX6+, Arc Dual Control 40" Amber/White LED Light Bar
Rigid Rock Lights 4 pack
2019 OEM LED Tundra Pro headlights
Switch Pro 8100
Blue Sea switch for Mil-ACR
3 Odyssey Batteries (one main, two mounted in rear inside spare tire area)
Ram Mount Tough track for Ipad and Iphone mount
Uniden CB Radio
NOCO 10 amp on board charger via NOCO shore power (plug in passenger side of grill)

Armor
RCI Front Skid Plate
RCI Mid Plate
RCI Fuel Tank Plate
RCI Rear Diff Armor
All Pro Offroad Sliders

Most current setup is below
48631283632_c4fee87e8b_h.jpg

48631113451_fd22377b1e_h.jpg

48631286887_ad328164bb_h.jpg

48630767113_843717e9ee_h.jpg

48631115651_7b8b5fc1fe_h.jpg

mounted the switchpro controller in the coin tray area that was not being used and mounted the relay switch also in a similar area closer to the dash

BMC and body seam to make more room for the 37's

48360624326_7f71c0abdd_c.jpg

48360761007_c24d0c200e_c.jpg

48360623536_688d78cc60_c.jpg

48360624906_fc3e3ec668_c.jpg

A few more updated pics to share from new armor and recovery additions and finally the new bedslide configurations.

48388461656_5541035ac7_h.jpg

48388599977_9703a0eddb_h.jpg

48388461756_073ce3ff71_h.jpg

Last edited:

chunko

Observer
Very clean- I like it!

I don't think I have seen a battery box in that location before- more details would be cool. Are you concerned about water crossings with the batteries that low or is there a way to water-proof the system?

Very clean- I like it!

I don't think I have seen a battery box in that location before- more details would be cool. Are you concerned about water crossings with the batteries that low or is there a way to water-proof the system?

Batteries are sealed so no issues there, and I'm not concerned with freshwater submersion as I won't be going through any saltwater any time soon.. We have talked about eventually relocating them over the axle or closer to it as it wouldn't be difficult.

Mounting in the bed would have been an issue as they would have been on a platform off the bed floor due to other plans. I would be worried in a collision that a flying battery could cause potential problems in an open air bed..

Hummelator

Adventurer
What was the deciding factor ditching the tail gate and going with this style as opposed to a swinging tire carrier?

What was the deciding factor ditching the tail gate and going with this style as opposed to a swinging tire carrier?

I wanted something functional and not permanent. The bed will also be full of camp gear (fridge,cook stove, etc..) so room was going to be a huge factor. The gate can also be flipped around to create more space in the bed if needed..

I may eventually move the tire to a bumper with swing outs now that some manufacturers are beginning to make a rear bumper with this option now...

kurtwp

Armchair Adventurer
Do you have few pictures of the shelf you put in the engine over the battery? How it is attached etc...

Kurt

rruff

Explorer
finally was able to have a local fabricator build a battery box mounted in the spare tire well using the bumper bolt holes and bolts for mounting.. he also built the stainless steel tray in the engine bay for the compressor, relay, switch pro, fuse block

Battery box by justin morin

I like your thinking, but I don't know if that is the ideal spot. Why not leave the tire there?

There is a lot of unused space under the driver side of the cab. And I have a lot behind the cab too, with the long bed.

I like your thinking, but I don't know if that is the ideal spot. Why not leave the tire there?

There is a lot of unused space under the driver side of the cab. And I have a lot behind the cab too, with the long bed.

1. crewmax doesn't have the space like you because of the larger gas tank (38 gallon) and other items
2. The spare is useless due to larger tires on the truck than stock. You can't run a different size tire especially in 4wd because lot's of drivetrain issues come about.
3. I have a short bed so space is a premium as all items will be exposed in the bed ( fridge, stove, bed slide, other storage,etc..)
4. I have less than 3 inches to use behind the back seat also.. this is only on the crewmax as the doublecab's have more room.

I hope this makes more sense

Do you have few pictures of the shelf you put in the engine over the battery? How it is attached etc...

Kurt

The tray is using four exisiting holes that were used for the OEM fuse box. then stainless round rod was used to desired height for stainless tray. Then 2 nut rivets were used on the inner fender to secure the tray from moving side to side.. pictures below...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles