My trailer build. something a little different.

blackohio

Observer
Since I misread the how the trailer thread works im going to start a build thread. From the beginning of this my goal was to not necessarily make a expo trailer, but a moto hauler than can double duty to camp with on occasion.

So far the build is:
Custom designed by me, fabricated and produced by Unique Fabrication
Lock-n-roll hitch
Timbren Axleless suspension
17x9 Fuel Off-Road Zephyr (matches truck)
Falken Wildpeak ATW3 285/70/17
LED tails / running lights
GoFSR High Country Tent mounted to cage.
AXO 500lbs jockey wheel
Electric brakes
wiring running through frame and tucked under to a central junction before reaching trailer wiring distro panel
all hardware on frame mounting wiring harnesses and deck boards M6 stainless running into M6 nutserts.
Red oak 1" decking stained / sealed Teak.

The start:

E3583B18-1124-40C6-BFCD-8E75557DEEEE.jpg553F3791-BEB0-4D96-A6AA-A50697AC6F33.jpgAACE9639-E75C-41F4-BA9F-F419DAE20E9C.jpgB4901C4E-A2EC-4C50-ACEC-54D41470C69C.jpgIMG_7596.jpgIMG_7595.jpgIMG_7594.jpg

Spare tire chassis mount.
IMG_7278.jpg

taking trailer to powdercoating. Went with texture black for the finish.
IMG_7669.jpg

Had to remove driveline for PC.
IMG_7670.jpg

blackohio

Observer
From there I brought it home to begin running wiring, adding tails / turns / running lights and decking.

IMG_7789.jpgIMG_7788.jpg

IMG_7736.jpg

It had been awhile since I opened the tent up so I decided to air it out a bit saturday while I did other work.

D9F657A7-401D-48CE-9B52-F1B1124D7FBF.jpg35B2D93D-2B71-4D52-BA94-FFF8992CAC39.jpg

Cut the red oak for the decking, drilled holes for hardware and ran the nutserts into the frame. Next weekend i'll pull the decking so I can run the brake wire harness (which I've yet to build) as well as i'll be adding another cross brace in the middle for additional support around the driveline.

79F3C5C7-B3F6-4847-ABAD-5576D55175FD.jpg

blackohio

Observer
Today I sanded and stained the oak - teak. and mounted up until I put some further work in. I'll be building a removable box in the front that will double as storage / camp kitchen.
IMG_7843.JPGIMG_7843.JPGIMG_7841.JPGIMG_7839.JPGIMG_7838.JPG

plenty of clearance underneath due to the Timbren axleless suspension.
IMG_7848.JPG

Last on the list of small things to due before taking it to get plated is adding some rigid 10" light bars I have for scene lighting running off 2X US Battery 6v 232AH batteries I have.

bsaoneshot

Blackohio, What it the height from the deck to the bottom of the roof rack and from the ground to the bottom of the roof rack? Been contemplating adding something similar on my trailer. Thanks.

ArmyofMike

Trailer looks sweet and capable. Might I ask why the top deck is so high though? Looks like it will be quite top heavy.

blackohio

Observer
Blackohio, What it the height from the deck to the bottom of the roof rack and from the ground to the bottom of the roof rack? Been contemplating adding something similar on my trailer. Thanks.
I'll get those exact numbers tonight. Deck to underside of the round tubing is 51", and If I recall from when I drew it out the ground to deck is like 24.

Trailer looks sweet and capable. Might I ask why the top deck is so high though? Looks like it will be quite top heavy.

So I can fit two forward facing 450's and one rearward. Im not gonna drag this trailer on any serious trails. It's main purpose will be to act as a moto hauler and when used as such it'll have between 500 and 750# at the deck level. But heading out to the desert on occasion it will be nice to be able to camp.

Last edited:

honda250xtitan

bueno, it looks like a slick setup for a soft-shell, plus about half price and a bit bigger then the hard-shells I've been eye balling.

blackohio

Observer
bueno, it looks like a slick setup for a soft-shell, plus about half price and a bit bigger then the hard-shells I've been eye balling.
i don’t particularly like the triangular shape of most hardshells but really like the profile of them. free spirit really did a solid job with these tents though. great internal size, excellent airflow,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier