My SAS Mazda B2600 Diesel Expedition project

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I believe it's 90-95 Taurus and Sabel with the 3.8l. It will have 3 wires coming out of it.

There is tons of info on this fan all over the net as it's used in everything from hot rods to rock crawlers.

I used a hi, lo, off switch on the dash. The ground wire will run to the temp switch on the radiator.

sasksodbuster

i have parts ordered & will update!!! Jeff was there different rear ends (gear ratios) between the auto & the stick in 4x4??? the 5 speed had 4.44 the auto had ??????.the 2 wheel drive b2600 had 3.73 gears as well the MPV...

Last edited:

steve97tj

I saw you yesterday somewhere in KY i do believe, you were stopped in front of a Denny's when i passed you going to Arby's i told my fiance "That truck looks familiar.."

Great looking truck, you were pulling off when i rode by. Not everyday you see one of these things built.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
i have parts ordered & will update!!! Jeff was there different rear ends (gear ratios) between the auto & the stick in 4x4??? the 5 speed had 4.44 the auto had ??????.the 2 wheel drive b2600 had 3.73 gears as well the MPV...

The 5 speed's have the 4:30's and the auto's have the 4:44's. That's the only ones that I know of.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I saw you yesterday somewhere in KY i do believe, you were stopped in front of a Denny's when i passed you going to Arby's i told my fiance "That truck looks familiar.."

Great looking truck, you were pulling off when i rode by. Not everyday you see one of these things built.

LOL, yeah that was me. I was headed back from the Renfro Valley Dual Sport event. Small world!

serious

1989-1993 5 speed manual 4x4 pickups have 4.37 gears
89-93 automatic 4x4 pickups have 4.44 fdr gears.

87-88 5 speed manuals also have the 4.44 fdr
87-88 3 speed automatics have 4.11's in the 4x4
I don't know if mazda ever built a auto in 87-88 with the overdrive transmission. This would be the same 3 speed jatco (nissan) transmission with the overdrive unit in the front of the tranmission.

I'm also in the ever so s l o w process of building one. I installed a 4d55t in an 87 last year, but didn't build it as there was lots of bearing mess in the pan. Parts are near impossible to find here in the states unless you're willing to go with the china made stuff or pay major money and talk to the guys in perth, au. I did aquier an 83 d50 turbo diesel last year and drove it threw the summer. Engine it it needs work, but I'm planning something of a hybrid mod motor for it based on fuel ecomony. I was only getting 25 at best cruising at 60 in the d50. I do also have a b2600 with the 4.11's that I think I'll try out. Even with the gas engine and the 4.44 or the 4.37 the engine is spining way too much.

I would like to know Jeff how you got away with using the b2600 gas pan with the mitsu diesel flywheel? The 4d55 fly wheel has clerance problems with the oil pan. I would like to know as I would like to use the gear reduction stater and not the gas b2600 one.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I would like to know Jeff how you got away with using the b2600 gas pan with the mitsu diesel flywheel? The 4d55 fly wheel has clerance problems with the oil pan. I would like to know as I would like to use the gear reduction stater and not the gas b2600 one.

There was no issue, it bolted right on with no clearance problems at all.
You can get any parts that you need for these motors from Canada.

Around 26

You should be able to achieve more MPG's from my experience. For years I only achieved 25-26 MPG, but I had the emissions equipment removed and tuned the injection pump with the assistance of a dyno to achieve optimal performance. I went from averaging 26MPG to 35MPG and getting 40MPG on the freeway. BTW the truck looks great.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
You should be able to achieve more MPG's from my experience. For years I only achieved 25-26 MPG, but I had the emissions equipment removed and tuned the injection pump with the assistance of a dyno to achieve optimal performance. I went from averaging 26MPG to 35MPG and getting 40MPG on the freeway. BTW the truck looks great.

I've thought of that but there is no one near me that has a dyno and is fermilure with IDI diesel engines.

sasksodbuster

thanks serious for the info.....! sounds like the switch of a automatic to a standard trans in a 87-88 4x4 with 4.11`s and just 235 r15's would be maybe close to the 4d56t diesel rpm range!!!in mine i did it this way (replace a f*&ked 1987 3 speed automatic transmission with a 5peed standard trans ) my speedo guage is out on 235 r15's tires and is out about 8km.... 90km is 98km etc in 5th gear..! can anyone else weigh in on this???? Is this pretty close for for highway cruising!!!! Or should one go to 265r 15`s????? what is ideal rpm for this engine for fuel economy??? (p265r15/75 is 31/10.50/15 in inches)

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...N2bRu3bNmziA&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13700214021206

5 speed manual 4x4 pickups have 4.37 gears
89-93 automatic 4x4 pickups have 4.44 fdr gears.

87-88 5 speed manuals also have the 4.44 fdr
87-88 3 speed automatics have 4.11's in the 4x4
I don't know if mazda ever built a auto in 87-88 with the overdrive transmission. This would be the same 3 speed jatco (nissan) transmission with the overdrive unit in the front of the tranmission.

I'm also in the ever so s l o w process of building one. I installed a 4d55t in an 87 last year, but didn't build it as there was lots of bearing mess in the pan. Parts are near impossible to find here in the states unless you're willing to go with the china made stuff or pay major money and talk to the guys in perth, au. I did aquier an 83 d50 turbo diesel last year and drove it threw the summer. Engine it it needs work, but I'm planning something of a hybrid mod motor for it based on fuel ecomony. I was only getting 25 at best cruising at 60 in the d50. I do also have a b2600 with the 4.11's that I think I'll try out. Even with the gas engine and the 4.44 or the 4.37 the engine is spining way too much.

I would like to know Jeff how you got away with using the b2600 gas pan with the mitsu diesel flywheel? The 4d55 fly wheel has clerance problems with the oil pan. I would like to know as I would like to use the gear reduction stater and not the gas b2600 one.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Wow... this turned out to be SUCH a cool truck Jeff. Congrats.

I actually got myself a 2nd Gen/1KZ-TE (threads in the Toyota Section) and I'm about to undergo the swap... Did you run a water/fuel separator on this??? I'm planning to us a Caterpillar unit and I'm also doing a coolant filter and 2nd, higher filtration oil filter. I'm just terrified that as soon as I get it on the road some moron is going to wipe me out in their giant SUV with their 1-0 kids in it. At least with the TD I'll have the power to haul an Exo cage around right... hahahaha

Anyway, lovely truck indeed and I agree with you, not being able to buy small, REAL compact pickups anymore and esp. TURBO DIESEL compact p/u's is downright criminal in my eyes.

Cheers

Dave

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Wow... this turned out to be SUCH a cool truck Jeff. Congrats.

I actually got myself a 2nd Gen/1KZ-TE (threads in the Toyota Section) and I'm about to undergo the swap... Did you run a water/fuel separator on this??? I'm planning to us a Caterpillar unit and I'm also doing a coolant filter and 2nd, higher filtration oil filter. I'm just terrified that as soon as I get it on the road some moron is going to wipe me out in their giant SUV with their 1-0 kids in it. At least with the TD I'll have the power to haul an Exo cage around right... hahahaha

Anyway, lovely truck indeed and I agree with you, not being able to buy small, REAL compact pickups anymore and esp. TURBO DIESEL compact p/u's is downright criminal in my eyes.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks!!!
Yeah, my fuel filter has a built in water separator although I have yet to see any water in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior