My rig build-up thread

Clay

Adventurer
I'm now getting into expedition type of four-wheeling a great deal. I've been reading here for about 6 months and even gone on a big expedition during that time. Now I have the bug, and you get to watch me build up my rig. Just to give you some history, I live about 20 minutes from the Fordyce Creek trail and about 2 hours from the Rubicon trail, so I have been rock crawling for many years now. I first started fourwheeling 15 years ago and have been very into it the whole time. This will be my third Toyota build-up, first was a very built rock buggy'ish '81 truck followed by a SAS'ed '89 4runner that would go anywhere.

Plans for this truck include all the normal stuff, and some not normal stuff. I am undecided about lift and tire size though. I have a snow wheeling addiction and that is all about tire size (for flotation) and ground clearance, but I also understand that driving many miles for a trip needs the opposite of that to some degree. For now the target is 33x12.5x15 MT/R's and I have no idea how I am going to get them on and build the skidplates I know I need.

I also need to get some kind of tent or camper going as well, because I'd like something a bit more attached to the truck and easier to deal with then my camping gear and tent now.

So far the truck has:

3.4l V6 with TRD supercharger and headers
Auto tranny
TRD package with e-locker

265/75/16 Goodyear MT/R tires on factory wheels

Allpro Offroad Front bumper with Warn XD 9000 winch
Allpro Offroad weld on rock sliders
Demello Offroad Hybrid Rear Bumper
Demollo Offroad Bedbar with Hi-lift mount
Deezee bedrail toolbox

Homebrewed CO2 tank and regulator
Staun tire deflators

Midland CB radio with Wilson antenna
Icom IC-V8000 2 meter Ham radio with mag mount antenna
Dual batteries
Coleman 800 watt power inverter
Kool-a tron 12 volt ice chest

Last edited:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Great start so far!

I was able to shoe horn 33x12.5's on my 86 4Runner with no lift. Just needed to hammer the pinch flat in the front fender. Ran a stock offset 15x7 to keep it tucked and it worked out quite well. Sticks out enough to help keep the sides off the rocks in most cases but not excessive. Narrow rim helps with bead retention without going to a locked rim that would add to the unsprung weight.

Truck will still get a 2 inch body lift and drive train lift from Rodger at
www.4crawler.com so I can flat belly it with a Budd Cross member. www.budbuilt.com Replace the sagging rear springs to level it and deal with the extra weight of camping gear and going to call it good for a while. I think the IFS does quite fine till you start doing drop bracket. It changes the design geometry too much and start breaking parts from the extra leverage. Mild lift is where its at to keep the truck proficient at Street and trail.

I too was smashing trucks into rocks for the last few years so I totally understand where you are coming from. It is fun but to be proficient at rocks it tends to be a truck that you really don't want to spend a great deal of time on the hwy with so it puts a big damper on Wanderlust. Then add in all the down time with the non stop repairs and expense like a tow rig when it just gets to much for the street. Just gets out of hand real quick. So I have also gone back to a much less modified rig looking more for quality of time then thrashing. More of a Grass roots wheeling to just get somewhere new off the beaten path to kick back and look around.

Bud has a really nice belly plate for your truck. I use to make all my own stuff but I can't even come close to what he has and the price is reasonable. If nothing else its worth looking at for ideas. http://www.budbuilt.com/new/ifs.html

See ya on the trail.

Clay

Adventurer
Thanks to both of you for the comments. I have seen the budbuilt stuff before, and clocking the transfercase and doing a flat belly is definately on the list of things to do. I can't use the budbuilt front skidplate, because I have an all-pro bumper and you can only use theirs with it.

I've been following along with Brians 4x4 buildup for several years now. I really like how he did the lowest solid axle conversion possible, it turned out very nice and I would do that as well. I think that tacoma's have to end up pretty tall do to oil pan issues when you do a SAS. If I could figure out a way around that I would do it.

Clay

Adventurer
What do you all think about putting a roof top tent on a in bed roll cage like this?

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Rack looks good. The only concern you may have is raised COG with a tent up there. But it is worth it.

erin

Explorer
Nice rig. I really like the style of that rack and think it would work well with one of the med. size tents. As far as your COG being up to high, I have always felt that all the weight we add down low, ie bumpers, sliders, skid plates, and winches, offset the weight of relatively light tents.

Clay

Adventurer
Now that I've been stuck on the road for the last two days in single digit temps with high winds I'm kind of thinking that I might want to stick with a camper shell. How's a tent on top of your truck hold up to 70mph cross winds while your sleeping in it?

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
That is one of the reasons that I like my camper shell sleeping area. It's quite cozy when all hell is breaking loose outside. It is much more quiet than a tent. The downsides are that I can't sit up straight and if I am traveling with my wife, we usually have to move packs and gear to the cab of the truck, out to the roof rack, or on the ground (just depends on the scenario) so we can both relax on the bed (when I fly solo, this isn't an issue). Sitting up straight is no issue at all for me unless I am sequestered to the camper for more than a couple of hours (and I am not sleeping). I can comfortably lay on my side propped up on an elbow so it's not like I am in a coffin or anything, but it can get old after a couple of hours. Fortunately, this doesn't happen often at all, but it is worth mentioning. If you camp in wind or storms with any frequency, then I would consider a hard sided camper, unless you are one of those people that can sleep with commotion going on. If you only camp in a storm or high winds only once in a while, then the roof tents are awesome.

It will be interesting to see how a guy with rock crawling/snow wheeling tendencies deals with trying to achieve long-range efficiency and comfort. I look forward to it. And... very nice truck by the way :ylsmoke:

Willman

Clay said:
Now that I've been stuck on the road for the last two days in single digit temps with high winds I'm kind of thinking that I might want to stick with a camper shell. How's a tent on top of your truck hold up to 70mph cross winds while your sleeping in it?

That doesn't sound like fun!! I think i would opp for the shell myself in that storm. Just like BajaTaco said.....I think you could get more sleep in a storm under a shell than a roof-top tent.....

On the other side...Welcome to the ExPO!!! You have a good looking rig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94