My Renegade BU Overlander

My daily driver (VW Golf Sportwagen) crapped the bed on me and I ended up needing a new DD before I was planning on buying a new vehicle. We are in the middle of searching for/buying a new house and I was waiting to buy a nice pre-owned Range Rover L405 or Volvo XC90. I originally bought my new 2019 BU Sport 4x4 as just a cheap stop gap vehicle, it looks nice, gets decent fuel economy, was less than $20k out the door, and I could soft road with it. Frankly it was the least feminine of the small SUVs to me! Well those factors are why it’s becoming my favorite little vehicle! I’ve yet to find anything in my style of overlanding it can’t handle and I like the size. I still have my Range Rovers and enjoy the enhanced capabilities my P38 has for when I may need it.

So far I’ve added 225/65R17 BF Goodrich KO2 tires, cross bars and mud flaps. I’ve ordered a full-size spare, two 5L jerry cans and a roof rack. The Rocky Road Outfitters 1 5/8 lift is my next modification. I will be adding the Renegade ready hitch here soon so I have a decent recover point on the rear of the vehicle and it will be nice to tow my canoe/scooters on a small utility trailer.

Here is my BU the night I brought it home, all stock. It’s a Sport 4x4 with appearance package, remote start and proximity entry:

Here is our first off-road trip after I installed cross bars, you can see the limited wheel articulation here. Still on stock eco tires in this photo:

After I had the BF Goodrich KO2 tires installed:

Here are some photos from our various adventures the last few weeks:

Last edited:

larock1971

I have had a Renny Trailhawk for almost a year now, it replaced a 07 Patriot that had nearly 260,000 trouble free miles on it. Fun little vehicle. I haven't done any modes to it yet, but have a list going. I like the way the BFGs look, what kind of impact did they have on fuel economy?

I have had a Renny Trailhawk for almost a year now, it replaced a 07 Patriot that had nearly 260,000 trouble free miles on it. Fun little vehicle. I haven't done any modes to it yet, but have a list going. I like the way the BFGs look, what kind of impact did they have on fuel economy?

I lost right around 1.5mpg in stop & go city traffic. Don’t know on interstate mileage because I rarely get on it. Road noise was the biggest difference.

G0to60

Observer
My friend has been building up his Renegade over the last year. Mainly to be better equipped for the forest roads leading to fishing and camping spots but with the occasional trail run. He went with a Terraflex 1.5" lift, Toyo AT tires, and Valkyrie skid plates (engine, driveshaft bearing, and rear diff). The last thing he wants is the Avid Contour front bumper for a little better approach angle, protection, and recovery points. They are out of stock so hopefully they make a batch for this coming year. Here he is hitting the trail this last summer at a place called La Dee near Estacada, OR.

3 wheel Renegade.JPG

Here are some photos from our most recent picnic trip in the State WMA. I’ve ordered the Taraflex 1.5in lift and I’m currently debating ordering a Avid front winch bumper for improved approach angle.

Morgan Weafer

I’ve ordered the Taraflex 1.5in lift and I’m currently debating ordering an Avid front winch bumper for improved approach angle.

That's awesome you're able to get out in your Renegade. Which WMA were you exploring?

My experience with the Teraflex lift is mostly favorable. I have that kit installed on my own Jeep. My only criticism of the lies with the sway bar links, specifically the polyurethane bushings. They wear out prematurely, this is easily identified by loud, metal on metal sounds from the front suspension whenever driving over any varied road conditions. This can be remedied through the Teraflex product warranty. They'll just send you a new set of links. It's just something to be aware of before you have it installed.

If you're debating on whether or not to purchase a front bumper for your Jeep, consider the following.

Are you touring or off-roading? How will the weight of the bumper affect the vehicle's performance (handling)? How will it affect the vehicle's suspension for added stress?

It's ultimately your Jeep, but these are questions I've asked myself. They might be helpful to you.

That's awesome you're able to get out in your Renegade. Which WMA were you exploring?

My experience with the Teraflex lift is mostly favorable. I have that kit installed on my own Jeep. My only criticism of the lies with the sway bar links, specifically the polyurethane bushings. They wear out prematurely, this is easily identified by loud, metal on metal sounds from the front suspension whenever driving over any varied road conditions. This can be remedied through the Teraflex product warranty. They'll just send you a new set of links. It's just something to be aware of before you have it installed.

If you're debating on whether or not to purchase a front bumper for your Jeep, consider the following.

Are you touring or off-roading? How will the weight of the bumper affect the vehicle's performance (handling)? How will it affect the vehicle's suspension for added stress?

It's ultimately your Jeep, but these are questions I've asked myself. They might be helpful to you.

That is the Blackwater State Forest WMA near Munson, FL.

The Taraflex looked to be the best option in 1.5in that is readily available. To be frank I find most Jeep products pretty lightweight compared to what I’m use to for Land Rovers but price is so much cheaper.

This is mostly a gravel/fire road rig since it lacks low range. I got it for camping and hiking adventures. I have a built up Range Rover for the serious stuff. I do however really want the ability to self recover especially as we travel out west. The Avid bumpers are fairly lightweight and I’ll use a lightweight winch to help manage weight.

Morgan Weafer

Very cool, I hope to get to Florida sometime and explore the southeast for myself.

Good luck with the install of the lift. Do share pictures if you take any.

That's awesome you have two rigs dedicated to different adventures. I am curious how the winch bumper install will unfold. Keep us updated as your Jeep evolves :)

G0to60

Observer
My only criticism of the lies with the sway bar links, specifically the polyurethane bushings. They wear out prematurely, this is easily identified by loud, metal on metal sounds from the front suspension whenever driving over any varied road conditions. This can be remedied through the Teraflex product warranty. They'll just send you a new set of links. It's just something to be aware of before you have it installed.

My friend with the blue Renegade shown above went through three sets of sway bar links in about a month. The issue is that the links they use are the same as for the JK Wrangler. I have the same set on my JKU and they work great but since the Renegade has a much different suspension set up it transfers suspensions noise much more easily into the cabin. We tried several different approaches to the clunking.

- Flipping the links upside down (no difference)
- Greasing the hell out of them (slight difference short term)
- New links from Teraflex x3 (no difference)

In the end we called Daystar to see what they did since they have a similar suspension lift with quick disconnect sway bars. They said that theirs do the same thing and the only way around it is to use their sway bar link drop brackets with the stock sway bar links. They sent him a set for free even though he wasn't even using their kit. Great company. Those did the trick and there is no more clunking.

Took a ride north today and got to play on a sand bar near an old bridge. It was some kinda cold!

The lift is scheduled to be installed this coming Saturday, plan on getting the Renegade ready hitch done soon as well.

The KO2 tires look great...how have they worn and what's the noise like on them...bit of a hum?

Am guessing the Teraflex lift has been installed by now and has some miles on it. Have you noticed any downfalls with that particular lift? Any parts wearing out sooner than expected? What did it do to your MPG?

I grew up in Florida and have been off-road there plenty of times...mostly ONF, but a few spots in S. FL as well. Always nice to hit St. Augustine beach as well since you can drive on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles