My 4x4 Red Cross ERV Build and Adventures

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
Hey Rebuild what are you using to cut the aluminum inside the cab- things like the diamond plate? Grinder? Plasma? Saws all?

I used a plasma cutter and a reciprocating saw. It was a little sketchy with all the sparks but it worked pretty well.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Hey Rebuild what are you using to cut the aluminum inside the cab- things like the diamond plate? Grinder? Plasma? Saws all?
I’ve found the ultra thin cutting discs on a die (or angle) grinder work very well. They are what a older locksmith I know recommend for cutting $$$$$ aluminum doors. When installing electronic locks into aluminum doors there’s no margin for error.

Rebuilder

Here's the current state of the shower/toilet. I went around and around on what to use for the walls and ended up just using the same waterproof flooring because why not. I still need to finish the ceiling and add a cover piece over the wires but I really like the way it turned out. The shower valve and head are actually a bidet set that I found on Amazon. I originally bought an "RV" set but it was junk and I couldn't find anything else I liked so I found this and it ended up working great.... and it's great for showering too!

KIMG0673.JPG

KIMG0674.JPG

Oops a little blurry but here's the Nautilus retractable door. It's not as wrinkly as it looks.

KIMG0676.JPG

The start of the kitchen.....

KIMG0672.JPG

KIMG0685.JPG

KIMG0684.JPG

I like grey.

KIMG0680.JPG

Well this is pretty much where it's at right now. Next I plan on continuing on with more cabinets, one to enclose the electrical/water heater area and one for clothes that will be located over the batteries on the passenger side.

Attachments

• KIMG0671.JPG
    KIMG0671.JPG
    898.6 KB · Views: 32
  • KIMG0675.JPG
    KIMG0675.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • KIMG0682.JPG
    KIMG0682.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 30

carnut1969

I’m thinking that for my shower which will be very similar I’ll use a max air 6” dome vent with the built in led light. I think it would be good to vent all that moisture out of the van....

Rebuilder

I’m thinking that for my shower which will be very similar I’ll use a max air 6” dome vent with the built in led light. I think it would be good to vent all that moisture out of the van....

Yeah the domed vent or even a skylight would have been nice for headroom in mine. I left a gap at the top of the shower door so I think my vent will do enough but the headroom would have been nice.... luckily I'm kinda short.

Rebuilder

any updates?

Not really on the build but I did take it on a 3000 mile road trip this summer. Minnesota to Steamboat to Ouray to Durango to Taos to Oklahoma City to Bentonville AR and back to Minnesota. It was a great test for all the systems and pretty much everything worked as it should with a few exceptions. The bed lift was great because I spent most of the time hanging out on the back deck. The shower was amazing. The solar and batteries work as they should. The Induction cook top worked great but I think I'm asking a little much for them with microwave/convection oven. The hydronic diesel heater and calorifier worked great for hot water but I didn't really test the in floor heat. It's parked for the winter now but I hope to get it finished up in the spring.

IMG_20200814_200958.jpg

Wildfire smoke in Steamboat
IMG_20200815_153836.jpg

KIMG0735.JPG

Best free camping spot ever
KIMG0742.JPG

Ouray...
KIMG0759.JPG

KIMG0762.JPG

Another great free spot in Durango
KIMG0764.JPG

KIMG0767.JPG

On the way to Taos
KIMG0771.JPG

Free camping in Taos Ski Valley lot
KIMG0772.JPG

Abitibi

Explorer
Here's the current state of the shower/toilet. I went around and around on what to use for the walls and ended up just using the same waterproof flooring because why not. I still need to finish the ceiling and add a cover piece over the wires but I really like the way it turned out. The shower valve and head are actually a bidet set that I found on Amazon. I originally bought an "RV" set but it was junk and I couldn't find anything else I liked so I found this and it ended up working great.... and it's great for showering too!

View attachment 601888

View attachment 601889

Oops a little blurry but here's the Nautilus retractable door. It's not as wrinkly as it looks.

View attachment 601891

The start of the kitchen.....

View attachment 601887

View attachment 601895

View attachment 601894

I like grey.

View attachment 601892

Well this is pretty much where it's at right now. Next I plan on continuing on with more cabinets, one to enclose the electrical/water heater area and one for clothes that will be located over the batteries on the passenger side.
Great turn out, custom builds are the best! I'm also looking at a shower valve, had the same idea to use a bidet one but couldn't figure if you can adjust the temperature or not with them?

Cheers
David

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Rebuilder

Great turn out, custom builds are the best! I'm also looking at a shower valve, had the same idea to use a bidet one but couldn't figure if you can adjust the temperature or not with them?

Cheers
David

Yeah the bidet works great.... works great as a shower too :cool:. If I had one #firstworldproblem with it I'd say it has too narrow of a spray and is almost too much pressure. The one I got is temp adjustable and has an On Off button on the head so you can leave the temp where it's at and turn the head on and off as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMX71JQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if the link will work so you can also search
TRUSTMI Toilet Concealed Hot and Cold Bidet Spray Set,Brushed Nickel

Bidet.PNG

Abitibi

Explorer
Perfect, thanks! The one I looked at was different, yours might work better. I'm also planning an outdoor shower and would use one for that purpose as well.

Cheers!

Rebuilder

Perfect, thanks! The one I looked at was different, yours might work better. I'm also planning an outdoor shower and would use one for that purpose as well.

Cheers!

I installed one of these for outdoor use and really like it. The coiled hose is nice to extend out for cleaning bikes and motorcycles...

Outdoor shower.PNG

carnut1969

Looks like a great trip!

After living with the truck anything you’d do differently? Do you feel the side door is worth the space cost?
I was thinking I’d just use the back doors and install one of those flip-down RV step systems.

My wet bath will be where your side entry is, then the area in the back can be used for a couch/ bed plus room for a bike or two....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles