My Perfect Ambulance Platform?

eporter

Adventurer
I see ambo boxes pop up from time to time. Probably harder to find a minimod box, but they're out there...

This is a minimod box notched to clear the crew cab. Guess you could extend it into a sleeper area, too...

I call it; "THE PANGLE"

Pangle.jpg

Coachgeo

Explorer
Think NOT outside the box...... but INSIDE the box.

Other Words.... why go with a dual cab; when the safest place for anyone to ride is in the ambo box itself. They are significantly safer in the box than in the cab. Ambo boxes are about the only thing this would be true..... but since it is; utilize it. One, you get to keep a bigger camper space..... and two as mentioned..... your passengers are near about as safe from an accident as if you were driving down the road in a battleship compared to the cab about safe as a driving a jon boat down the road.

if you go the passengers in ambo box... just got to figure out how you want to do communication (lots of options) and viewing.... such as a dash cam in the cab and a Monitor in the Ambo box for passengers to see whats up out the windshield if they choose to see.

Pangle

Wanderer
Coachgeo... I agree. My issue is going to be communicating this fact to my wife. I will also be needing a place for my 1.5 year old son to ride in his car seat, and I am just not sure about him riding back there on the rear facing jump seat. I may have to modify it or install another seat back there.

Anyone have any thoughts on kids seat being installed in the rear facing jump seat?

eporter

Adventurer
It's true that that big ol' ambo box is a solid, safer cage. I just wouldn't be able to sit back there and watching the world go by on a TV... That would be rough to make a kid do. Though these days they'd prob. just rather watch a show on that TV...

So, long story short, there are NO child seats that are rated for a rear facing jump seat. Same goes for side-facing seats. So, that rules out all the seating in the back of an ambo... I have seen some newer ones w/ a child seat built into the attendants seat. It's still rear-facing, but maybe a "best you can do" kind of scenario.

I thought I was fine to use it a car seat in my old ambo, but I did some research and found out that no US car seats are rated for buckling into rear-facing seats or side-facing seats. Thus it's illegal in some states to install a seat against the manufacturers recommendations. The only solution is then to put the car seat in the front seat, but then you need to turn off the airbags. On the old E350s, if you turn off/disconnect one, both stop working. PITA not having the newer airbag-off switch.

For example, California regulations which seem like the best guidance for ideal usage:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/seatbelts
Child Restraint System and Safety Seats
Your child must be secured by either a federally-approved child passenger restraint system or a safety belt depending on their height and age.
  • Children under 2 years old must be secured in a rear-facing child passenger restraint system unless the child is 40 pounds or more, or 3 feet 4 inches or taller.
  • Children under 8 years old must be properly secured in a federally- approved child passenger restraint system.
  • Children under 8 years old may ride in the front seat of a vehicle in a federally-approved child passenger restraint system under the following instances:
    • There is no rear seat.
    • The rear seats are side-facing jump seats.
    • The rear seats are rear-facing seats.
    • The child passenger restraint system cannot be installed properly in the rear seat.
  • A child may not ride in the front seat of an airbag equipped vehicle if they are in a rear-facing child passenger restraint system.
  • Children who are 8 years old or older OR who have reached at least 4 feet 9 inches in height may use a properly secured safety belt meeting federal standards.
Not to start a debate on car seats, just a heads up, be safe & all that. I had no idea the seats weren't rated for side or rear-facing. I picked up some nice Ford Transit seats w/ integrated seatbelts and was planning on removing the attendant seat and bolting the double seat into an L-track system on the floor of the ambo. Then I could flip it around when in "camp" mode.

We also wanted a little more room, so sold the ambo and picked up a Chinook. Agreed it's not as sturdy as the ambo cage, but way more roomier.

I think the safest thing is maybe a modern, full-size crew cab pickup with a camper shell on the back. Most RV safety people recommend no kids in the RV, and to transport them in an additional car for safety. Obviously not the best solution, but there's probably something in-between that's a good compromise.

Pangle

Wanderer
Nice info! thanks for that... I figured the side facing was prob out, but I felt like the rear facing in the middle of an ambulance may be the safest place for him? go figure... Any Im also considering a passenger van with a build out. I have done 5 ambos, both in van and truck body, as well as an excursion. It just a matter of finding the right balance of family practicality and ************-ness

eporter

Adventurer
I agree that the kiddo in the middle of the box is safest. The problem is the child seats aren't designed to be mounted in a rear-facing (or side-facing) seat. In an accident they'd be loaded in the wrong ways. I'm sure it would still be better than a side-facing seat, but the safest thing would be a properly-mounted forward-facing seat, with the rear-facing child seat in it. I was surprised to learn it's illegal to mount the seats wrong in some states. Sometimes the government has to help people do the right thing. Not that you'd get a ticket, but might be cited after an accident.

A camper van with two second row captains chairs, or a bench, seems like the best family-hauling setup.

It's crazy how some people don't even think about this stuff. I asked a woman with a built-out camper van where her two kids rode. She told me they sit/lie on the bed in the back, and if she sees the police she tells them to get down... ******....!!!

Pangle

Wanderer
HAHA That doesnt surprise me in the slightest! I was a copper for 7 years or so and I have pretty much seen it all.... Yea I think the van is the way to for for sure, I just love the ambos for all the other positives. I will have to think about this more and see if I can come up with something creative.

Coachgeo

Explorer
take out the bench seats and box it sat on.. mount a shorter bench or auto seat(s) (on swivel?) facing rearward.... mount also a front facing seat or two of same type facing the other seats. Put baby seat there. (kitchen table between. Put adult watching kid in facing seat. Whala.... problem solved.

simpler...... turn the ambo box seat around and re mount it.... whala.... problem solved.

Both ton less costly than trying to find/create a dual cab ambo and gives you larger camper than a dual cab would leave room for.

As to feeling off about watching world go by on a screen.... trust me....... kids won't give a shiat after short while. I lived traveling in a motorhome every other month or so as a kid.... while I did like to look out windshield.. rest of kids in the family didn't care..... they just read books etc. most the time. These days they would be on a tablet playing games...... course then again you could bluetooth the windshield cam to the tablet too.

Pangle

Wanderer
Yea some are able to swivel and some are fixed. Most of the ones I deal with have been fixed, with the exception of one which did have a swivel. I think installing some floor track with a sienna seat may be the way to go. Just so I know the kiddo will be safe and "properly" secured. Then we can just remove or move it once we get where we are going.

Pangle

Wanderer
Well, Im back in the AMBO game! Just picked up a 1996 E350 Wheeled Coach with 112k on the 7.3 stroke. I have to say it is SUPER Clean! No rust and really well maintained inside an out. It has everything I like to have in my projects, side window, speakers in the box, and Powerstroke..... BUT this time I got one 2wd! Whats that mean? Well I just may be finally doing a UJOR kit!

Attachments

• IMG_6029.JPG
    IMG_6029.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6030.JPG
    IMG_6030.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6031.JPG
    IMG_6031.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 40

MenaMac

Hi Guys - I just bought a 2006 E350 Wheeled Coach - Pangle, it looks a lot like your new toy. I have the 6.0 - enough for getting my around on pavement.

I have a question that goes back a bit in this thread - it's about my shore power hookup.

My 30 amp powers a battery charger. [2 AGM in parallel - none under the hood] The inverter is under the jump seat along with a 70amp breaker and other dusty stuff I don't know enough about. I'm looking for ideas to power the box without the key on or the engine on - the current set up. Would it be possible to put some sort of splitter switch [real technical here] so I can have shore power go to the battery charger OR to the inverter (running the box) while camping?

Please be patient! I'm nearly 60 and had to give up my Harley for medical reasons. My ambo / RV is my new road fun! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles