My Perfect Ambulance Platform?

Pangle

Wanderer
Today I was able to paint the grill, light surrounds, bumper, and diamond plate... I think it looks great!

Attachments

• IMG_5325.JPG
    IMG_5325.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5326.JPG
    IMG_5326.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5331.JPG
    IMG_5331.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 70

Pangle

Wanderer
Well today pretty much wraps up the exterior as far as paint is concerned.. I still have some touch ups to do but all in all shes finished.

I painted the wheel arches, wheels, and touched up some. I am pleased

Attachments

• IMG_5331.JPG
    IMG_5331.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5340.JPG
    IMG_5340.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5341.JPG
    IMG_5341.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5343.JPG
    IMG_5343.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5344.JPG
    IMG_5344.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5345.JPG
    IMG_5345.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5346.JPG
    IMG_5346.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 64

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Pangle, looks good. I considered using Monstaliner Desert Sand on my Lance camper and Dodge Cummins. What I could not find was anyone that had used it on aluminum siding, or how heavy the finished product was. One other thing to think about, depending on how 'off-road' you think you will go with this beast is the extreme flexibility of this era's Ford frames, especially with a long wheel base. They flex a lot compared to Chevy and Dodge frames of the same era. So, if you are indeed going 'off-road' and get the axles twisted up enough, how many attachment points and how flexible are these connections? Pull through spring loaded? Hard mounted? It might be worth a crawl under there to see how the Ambo box is mounted to the frame. jefe
below is about the maximum twist of my axles before the frame starts to contort and put extra strain on the camper tie downs, and this is on a short bed Dodge frame that has very little deflection. The deflection you see is the camper box trying to stay with the attitude of the rear part of the frame, bed, and rear axle. The tie downs are pulling mightily right here, maybe the most I can expect and not have a stress problem. My fix was to loosen the rear tie downs to let the back, lighter end float if need be.

a link to a vid going up the Diablo Drop Off with the truck camper. Note the twisting of the axles through the mogols and the effect it has on the camper box.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfj5y93wsd7vfkw/jefe does sand hill at dry wash of the devil Anza.m4v?dl=0

Last edited:

Pangle

Wanderer
Thanks Patoz!

Mundo.. I dont ever really see this rig being used where there will be moderate to hard off road. Fire trails, BLM land, national parks etc... Im realistic with the size, weight, and overall desing intention of the base rig.

I dont think the flex in the frame would bother the ambo Box itself too much.. I do think however it would put a great deal of stress on the joints and seams of the connection points of the box to the cab. Being there is a pass through access there is not much connecting the cab to the box when you start considering flex and heavy off road duty.

Nice vid! Def looked like some fun

Pangle

Wanderer
Sooooo whats everyones opinion on tuning? Should I tune what is a virgin 7.3 with a solid tune company like DP tune or SCT? I tuned my last ambo 6.5 chevy which made it a completely different animal. But I am hesitant to tune such a cherry original motor. I dont want anything crazy but i do enjoy the added performance, better shifting, and fuel mileage... thoughts?

Pangle

Wanderer
Yesterday I modified some new clearance lights from Tractor Supply to work with my bulbs and housings. I think they came out really nice. Also I added a 29$ HDTV antenna to have tv to entertain on rainy days. I was very surprised with how well it worked! 40 digital channels and the picture was great, no diff from the fios at home.

Attachments

• IMG_5350.JPG
    IMG_5350.JPG
    724.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5351.JPG
    IMG_5351.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5352.JPG
    IMG_5352.JPG
    930.9 KB · Views: 57

Pangle

Wanderer
Picked up some second row Sienna seats to put in the ambo. I started modding the brackets I need to make it all work today... stay tuned

Pangle

Wanderer
This is a list of everything done to the ambo at this point: Mostly for me to keep track ... NOT including Flight to AZ, fuel back, hotels, food etc...

Major Clean!
Removed decals
degrease chassis and engine bay
sand and prep

6 new Firestone Transforce AT2 tires installed: $1300
4 New Bilstein 4600 shocks: $300
oil change with 5w-40 Full syn Pennzoil: $50
Hot shot Stiction Eliminator and Hot shot FRS: $75
New Air filter: $35
Sienna Seats front: $100 plus weld job
wood laminate floors with double layer underlayment: $100
HDTV with HDTV antenna: $ 150
Wainscot interior$75
Bi folding bed/couch: $150
Subway tile "look" backsplash $80
New Fuel Drain Valve $60
Reseal fuel pressure check valve on fuel bowl $0
Monstaliner paint job on Box: $300
Color matched paint on rear box$150
Painted wheels..
Painted all red lenses black: $30
New Sony Bluetooth head unit with pioneer speakers: $350
dynamat in the front doors: $100
painted all the diamond plate black: $25
New Warn winch controller: $80
Ecotemp instant hot water shower: $150
30lb/7gal New propane tank and fill: $100
remove/repurpose oxygen tank straps $0
New auto disconnect shore plug $100
MISC cleaning supplies etc: $150
Built rear door screen.

Last edited:

Pangle

Wanderer
Today I made the rear door full roll up screen to keep the view and lose the bugs! I also dropped the seats at my welder buddy who is gonna mount the old tracks and brackets to the new seats. I should have them back tomorrow, I took a pic of the old seats for comparison.

Also a pic of my other truck!

Attachments

• IMG_5368.JPG
    IMG_5368.JPG
    753.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5370.JPG
    IMG_5370.JPG
    732.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5371.JPG
    IMG_5371.JPG
    907.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5372.JPG
    IMG_5372.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 69

Pangle

Wanderer
So Kinda big news today.. The sienna seats were not ergo correct on the first attempt so we are re modding the brackets... they should be in this week but look and feel great..

The big news: I had the opportunity to buy two classic Porsche's today and will consider selling the ambo in order to fund the rescue/restoration of the Porsche's if anyone is interested in a 12k mile arizona ready to roll ambo let me know. Nothing official yet but just the first mention.

eporter

Adventurer
VERY cool!

Obviously, you need to keep the ambo and use it as a tow rig/camper for the Porsche you prep for track day...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles