My Overland Project, the RME JKU

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Took the JKU to Baja last week, posted a Trip Report on here... - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/151693-Baja-is-Beautiful!

PB234618-L.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Hows the outback ride unloaded? I have been eyeballing this lift for AGES! Great choice on the wheels too. I had them in the cart as well, but got a super deal on a set of pro comp Rockwells.

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Hows the outback ride unloaded? I have been eyeballing this lift for AGES! Great choice on the wheels too. I had them in the cart as well, but got a super deal on a set of pro comp Rockwells.

It rides pretty firm unloaded, but I don't mind it.... I actually prefer a ride that's a bit tighter on a lifted 4x4, less body roll to combat a higher center of gravity. Around town at lower speeds it has a stiffer ride on bumps, but at freeway speeds I think the ride is great. You hit a big bump or dip on the freeway and it's very controlled, the suspension has plenty of travel to keep the JK composed on the road and ride well and you can feel it. Once it's loaded up with gear, the ride is great. Driving at speed in the dirt is where the suspension really comes into what it was built for... there is plenty of up and down-travel and the stiffer springs control the terrain very well. Loaded up with camping gear, the ride offroad is perfect. The SpeedBumps almost act like a secondary spring, when you hit a big bump that would otherwise bottom out any other suspension, they make it a nice and smooth transition, mellowing out what would have otherwise been a jarring hit and let you keep moving on with minimal drama.

I do like the wheels, I was eyeballing the AEV Savegre Wheels but for the price the Quadratec wheels won out! There's nothing wrong with buying what works when a great deal comes along!

kojackJKU

Probably the way my jeep ride now with the airbags in it. I think you made a great choice on the wheels! yeah, I love my rockwells as well. Teraflex is awesome tho, I have their leveling kit, plus some other stuff. Early next year, I am going with a lot of their new stuff.

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Probably the way my jeep ride now with the airbags in it. I think you made a great choice on the wheels! yeah, I love my rockwells as well. Teraflex is awesome tho, I have their leveling kit, plus some other stuff. Early next year, I am going with a lot of their new stuff.

:cool: Yeah, if you have air bags it's probably similar.

I like the parts Teraflex makes, they've been at it a long time, build quality parts and offer a large range of options depending on your needs!

kojackJKU

The parts are awesome, the customer service is second to none, and all the guys there don't take themselves to seriously. Their videos are awesome. I wish I could hang out with them for a few days that's for sure!

nietz79

Any updates in 2016? I just bought a similar JK and already have the same teraflex lift, 35" KO2s, and method wheels. You've provide a ton of ideas for me (especially the rack) and I'm hoping there are more mods to consider!

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Any updates in 2016? I just bought a similar JK and already have the same teraflex lift, 35" KO2s, and method wheels. You've provide a ton of ideas for me (especially the rack) and I'm hoping there are more mods to consider!

Yeah, there have been a few changes that I haven't shared here yet.... I'll get it caught up! Sounds like you have a great JK already!

The Jeep mods have been pretty quiet lately, but there have been some additions! The biggest thing was swapping out the stock exhaust, which was beat up, the joints were loose and squeaking and the engine sound was pretty pathetic. When we were in Moab in October we ran across Chad H. in his built JKU with a Magnaflow exhaust... it sounded amazing when he was on the throttle. I was eyeballing that system, but it's pricey... around $800.

After looking into other options Hickey shared the Dynomax 'Quiet Crawler' exhaust, part# 39535. It uses their Ultra Flo muffler with a Race Bullet, all 2.5" tubing. The cost for the Dynomax kit is 1/2 the price of the Magnaflow kit. Total cost for the Dynomax Quiet Crawler is about $400, much more affordable.

P1010009-L.jpg

P1010010-XL.jpg

P1010012-XL.jpg

The install wasn't hard at all, took about 90 min and the new exhaust was hung & clamped. I started it up and went for a spin and noticed that is was very loud and even ANNOYING at 2,000 - 3,500 RPM when at any more than 1/3 throttle. The thing sounds 'raspy' and almost like a Honda ricer.... :yikes: Hardly what I wanted and was expecting. Around town at light throttle the sound isn't bad, but when there's a load on the engine it gets pretty loud. I'm NOT happy with it at all and it's far from what I expected a 'quiet crawler' exhaust to sound like. I will admit that I'm pretty picky about exhaust tone and was hoping to open up the exhaust and adding a little more healthy sound, without being too much.

Here's an after video.... running the Jeep thru the gears and on the throttle harder than normal, for the most part. I don't think the microphone on the GoPro picks up the sound like your ear would. The video makes it sound alright, but IMO it's more annoying than anything.

Dynomax offers a 90 day customer satisfaction guarantee... I'm going to drive this Jeep all weekend and see if I'm going to take them up on their offer.

Last edited:

Greg@RME

Adventurer
And the follow-up...

Well, the Dynomax exhaust came off and the Magnaflow went on! I have to say that the Magnaflow exhaust kit #15115 is extremely high quality, from the material to the welds, you can tell it's built to last. Even the way the entire system was laid out and goes together, it's high quality craftsmanship and comparing it to the Dynomax, there's a huge difference. The Dynomax kit looks like a pieced-together product compared to the well-build and show quality Magnaflow exhaust. It does cost more, but after hearing the difference I'm just fine with the higher cost. I would recommend anyone considering putting aftermarket exhaust on their JK to avoid the Dynomax at ALL COSTS!

Install was easy, took about 30 min and I started it up. Right away it sounded better, a tad quieter but the sound was healthy. After a quick test drive I noticed that the 'raspy' noise from 2,000 to 3,500 RPM was gone and the tone was much easier on the ears. Talking with my buddy Jeremy we decided that the 3.6 needs a bigger resonator, my thoughts are that the Pentastar engine is pretty high-strung and makes a considerable amount of power (and noise) for a V6. The Magnaflow exhaust takes the edge off, but still sounds like the engine breathes well.

20160222_162027-L.jpg

20160222_162404-L.jpg

20160223_165951-L.jpg

20160223_165924-XL.jpg

While that exhaust tip is beautiful, I don't think it will last long at all. First real rocky trail and it's going to get smashed... I'm going to take the Sawzall to the tip. :(

20160223_171716-L.jpg

And video for sound...

Last edited:

nietz79

Very nice! Here's the current state of my JKU. Welcome any / all suggestions ...... trying to figure out if the roof rack is next or the front bumper. Speaking of which, I really like your roof rack ..... how's it holding up? Any leaks? Any feedback or suggestions on it?

05162016_FirstCustomizations.jpg

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Very nice! Here's the current state of my JKU. Welcome any / all suggestions ...... trying to figure out if the roof rack is next or the front bumper. Speaking of which, I really like your roof rack ..... how's it holding up? Any leaks? Any feedback or suggestions on it?

View attachment 345753

I would figure out which one you will need sooner rather than later, a bumper will make way for the option of adding a winch, too. The roof rack will help you carry additional gear that you may not be able to fit inside.

The roof rack has been great, I had it loaded up a couple weekends ago with a lot of firewood for a camping trip with friends. I haven't seen any leaks from the holes after massive downpours and many high-pressure car washes.... it's actually impressive that it doesn't leak, considering the number & size of all the holes drilled in the hardtop! I love my FrontRunner roof rack!

nietz79

Glad to hear you fully endorse the FrontRunner rack -- looks really cool. I'm also thinking about getting someone to fabricate slot fillers for whatever rack I go with so I can throw an after-market tent on top.

What about the Hothead Headlines? Did it make a noticeable difference? Still recommend them?

Thanks again!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Even cooler than the exhaust itself, is the pictures of the underside complete with scrapes and dings. :beer:
Glad to read you found an exhaust you like.

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Glad to hear you fully endorse the FrontRunner rack -- looks really cool. I'm also thinking about getting someone to fabricate slot fillers for whatever rack I go with so I can throw an after-market tent on top.

What about the Hothead Headlines? Did it make a noticeable difference? Still recommend them?

Thanks again!

You can actually order extra slats for the FrontRunner rack if you want to make it a solid platform! It's pretty easy to install & put together, adding extra slats is no problem. I've thought about that too, you could sleep up there or use the rack as a viewing platform with a flat floor.

The Hot Heads liners are great, I couldn't believe how much heat came thru the fiberglass top in the Summertime! I did add the Sound Assassin strips with my order, they help reduce noise and buffeting from the top. With both those things, the A/C doesn't have to work as hard in the Summer, the heat is retained in the Winter better and there is less road & wind noise, plus the stereo sounds better. I'd say is was very worth the price!

Even cooler than the exhaust itself, is the pictures of the underside complete with scrapes and dings. :beer:
Glad to read you found an exhaust you like.

Appreciate it Scott, this Jeep does get used offroad hard & often! It won't be long before that pretty exhaust has some scrapes in it, too. :)

DIESEL_RANGER

I was hoping you could help me out. I have a similar Jeep build now, and was hoping you could take a measurement of your springs from perch to mount with a "normal" load (say a weekend trip).

I have the 3" Mopar stage 3 that I have been running for a while and I believe my springs are being crushed underneath the weight of my Expedition One front and rear bumpers, Warn winch, rocker guards, recovery gear, etc. I just got a deal on a used Gobi rack, and before I add MORE weight to the Jeep I was going to switch over to the Outback 3" springs that you are using based on guidance from one of the Teraflex techs. They were able to provide me with the specs that their outback springs (when loaded) would be

Front, 1863202- LOAD : 1110 LBS @ 13.75"

Rear, 1864202 LOAD : 930 LBS @ 13.5

I really wanted to get some real world feedback before I jumped on these and found they did not hold up either. Thank you in advance for your time.

Attachments

• BW_Jeep.jpg
    BW_Jeep.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 46

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94