My Overlance Build Thread

Overlance

I have not done a good job keeping this thread going but here are some updates anyway. I installed a class-3 hitch like any 1-ton should have and hooked up a trailer wiring harness so that I could tow some sleds where they needed to go. (This was late Feb.) I also got caught in a blizzard and had to use the 4wd for about 200 miles on the highway and interstate on the way home... Fell in deeper love with this thing on that trip! Also notice I removed some of the stickers and also sprayed white plastidip on the most of the red lenses.20200229_094314 resize.jpg20200229_100457 resize.jpg
That is not me but my best friend of 27 years... also his sleds. But look how cozy this was a prep and changing room!
20200301_144736.jpg

I LOVE the Tac-Visor for this rig... it may not be all that great for something with a back window casting light and glare on the thing but since I have a solid wall right behind me I have found it very useful! Only issue on this trip was the wipers kept freezing during the blizzard.

Last edited:

Overlance

...directly after that snowmobiling trip to Colorado I had to then head to Texas for my uncle's funeral. I tell ya, I was so happy to have my Overlance for that emergency trip! I threw in my futon mattress atop a painters platform and the bench which just happened to have matching heights. SCORE! I bridged the gap with some OSB I also had laying around. Since I had been enthusiastic about setting up my rig I had already bought the coordinating bedding... pretty damn comfy quick setup, if I do say so! With those two trips combined, I put on 2600 miles in less than two weeks. Fell even deeper in love with my Overlance during that sad trip and I had my own place to sleep instead of putting a burden on family members. No issues on that jaunt...

20200302_183311 resize.jpg20200306_082331 resize.jpg

Overlance

More recently I was able to take my rig on it's first real camping trip. It was great. BULA fit where the campers and trailers were too big to go and the extra ground clearance allowed me to go beyond where the cars could go so I was all by my lonesome at the end of the camping site loop. This trip worked well to help me figure out my needs and a game plan to outfit my Overlance. Issue found was a bad leak at the rear doors... I have ordered a complete weatherstripping kit... and a bunch of other stuff too! Oh, and the right-side scene lights were utilized as I was extinguishing the fire and cleaning up at night, haha! Used the AC upon arrival as it was so damn hot and used the heater one morning when it was a bit cool. Still in love.

20200605_180524 resize.jpg

Last edited:

Jacobm

This thing is too cool. I've been interested in ambulance builds for a while and that might be my next rig, if I ever grow out of the Yukon.

alehandro3

awesome rig! I have a 97Express 3500 with the 6.5 diesel and am looking to do a 4x4 swap similar to your quigley setup. Do you have any pics of the steering/suspension/front axle? and some of the transfer case/crossmember/driveshafts?
I'm specifically looking to see how much of the crossmember has to be cut out to keep it relatively low on these 96-02 vans. Also if there is enough room for a drivers side drop transfer case in front of the fuel tank or does it have to be modified, ive got the fuel pump and filter setup and ABS module living there now, but would love to see how quigley does it.
There is alot of info out there on older and newer ones, but very little on these.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles