My Overlance Build Thread

Overlance

Hello. My Christmas present to myself was this 2002 Chevy Express 3500 4x4 ambulance! This unit was ordered by Glacier County EMS, Montana in 2001 where it has been ever since it was built... until now. The 6-hour drive home was so fun for me since I've been hoping for this specific ambulance for 4 months. It is in really good shape. Everything is tight and it handles and drives better than I expected! The 4wd conversion is by Quigley and the ambulance conversion is by Medtec. It has a 350 Vortec, 4L80E, NP241G, Dana 60, 14-bolt FF, & 149,000 miles. The amount of documentation that came with this unit is astounding! I will share some of it. Aside from the conversions it is completely stock, but that will change very soon. I'll update here as I go... I hope you enjoy! 20191224_121827_resized.jpg20191224_021944_resized.jpg20191224_121926_resized.jpg

borison

Adventurer
Nice looking rig, I like that it’s not crazy tall like most 4x4 vans. I know that’s a function of packaging, but these rigs get really tall really fast.

Overlance

I found some barely used 16x8 Centerline forged rims on FB Marketplace for $400. Conveniently, two of them came with tires the same size as what's on the ambo now so I was able to do some test fitting and figure out what size I can step up to.
20191228_103721.jpg20200216_201329_resized_1.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
This has to be one of the coolest rigs I have seen in a long time Mr Overlance. I look forward to seeing what you do with this cool Chevy. Please keep us updated with pics and descriptions of what you do. Can one ask what you payed for such a cool truck? I could see myself in a rig like that. Cheers, Chilli...?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
The largest tire I was able to fit on my stock suspension 2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley was 285/75/17's on Hummer Wheels. That tire is 32.75 inches tall. Slightest of rubs at full lock left turn.

Overlance

This has to be one of the coolest rigs I have seen in a long time Mr Overlance. I look forward to seeing what you do with this cool Chevy. Please keep us updated with pics and descriptions of what you do. Can one ask what you payed for such a cool truck? I could see myself in a rig like that. Cheers, Chilli...?
Well the guy I got it from paid $8,855 in a Montana auction then he listed it on ebay 3 times for $16,500... nobody bit. I had been saving and was finally able to offer less than that a few months after I first saw it. So he got the deal of a century. I found several ambulances that tempted me but none of them was THIS one and I'm so glad I held out!!

Overlance

I am getting the front windows tinted tomorrow and will then install the window deflectors I ordered. Lots of other little baby steps happening right now that get me excited! Such a fun toy to play with!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles