My ongoing Xterra build thread

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
The headers delete the cats, so wont have any exhaust restrictions.. eventually when i need to replace the muffler or exhaust ill upgrade it, till now it works fine enough and i just wanna make sure the motors gunna be all happy.. I just changed my oil for the first time so things are looking pretty good, Im very happy with the power and performance.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
.... Damn..... Nice work my friend.

I expect to see videos of this thing running. I've always wondered how they would go if they were freshly built with good exhause and all that. My VG33ER was kind of a dog and got horrific mileage. Interested to see how yours goes.

Cool build!

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
.... Damn..... Nice work my friend.

I expect to see videos of this thing running. I've always wondered how they would go if they were freshly built with good exhause and all that. My VG33ER was kind of a dog and got horrific mileage. Interested to see how yours goes.

Cool build!
Thanks man!
Yeah compared to this fresh build it definitley used to be a dog! but that's cause they only thing i could compare it too was the 3slow in my old 4 runner.
What did you want videoed? haah its not a ferrari or anything but it does go a lot better in the handfull of times ive had it up to 4 grand so far.. still waiting a bit to really hammer on it as Ive only got about 400km on the rebuild so far. just taking it nice and easy to make sure the rings get seated nice and happy.. My injectors are a tad noisy and none of the joureymen i talked to seem to think the ticking is anything but injectors. my boss told me to run some seafoam through the fuel system ill give that a try.

Cant wait to throw on some 32s. then ill be cruisin in style..

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
So here's a couple pics related to my truck..
Last summer we went on a pretty sweet backpackin trip on the north end of the island.. found this car along the way
JuUauXy.jpg

another hour and a half drive and a 6 hour hike with all our camping gear and we get to this beach we had practically all to ourselves.
6e0bgsn.jpg

This was mid fall and one of the last trips I took the X on before the engine let go.
MDdadtm.jpg

ICD11JM.jpg

And this was the destination of the old engines final journey.
lsNlB1e.jpg

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
I've got about 800 kilometers on the engine now and there is a very noticeable power increase, I can actually pass people on hills now.
The only issues I have is the lifters like to drain off overnight so they're nice and noisy in the morning, but that's not that big of a deal it goes away after like a 2 seconds. And the injectors to tick a bit more than I remember at idle but meh they all do.

Got 'er some fresh tires today.. gunna taker out to tofino on saturday should be a good test, hopefully get a decent pic or two

dGtsowe.jpg

o6Bvovr.jpg

Saharafire

I had an 02 N/A and my lifters were very noisy on start up in the mornings also. Never had a problem with the motor though. I actually miss my old X a lot.

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
Yesterday I spent a bit of time going over everything, took off my rattly *** resonator heat shields, fixed my rear diff breather that had broken off the fitting in the axle housing, fixed a leaky power steering line, recharged the AC system (as best as you can when its just above freezing I guess..) and then I took my spare off and got a new valve stem and the beads re seated, it was only 10 bucks I don't know why I put it off for this long.

Then today I took 'er out on what I'm going to call it's inaugural run on a drive to Tofino this morning. Already had to put the tires to their snow rated test on Sutton Pass, I didnt even need to put it in 4wheel. Got about 1400 Kilometers on it now. I will change the oil again at 2000 and then after 3000 more k I'll throw synthetic into it, hoping that will shut up my lifters.
l7GMnYl.jpg

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
So, thus far the only hiccup I've had since rebuilding the engine is an intermittent O2 Sensor code popping up, I built a ground harness that I attached to my exhaust studs, engine ground and body ground. Hasnt thrown the code since adding the ground harness. pretty stoked on that. I'll see tomorrow if it throws it again since i plan another trip towards tofino tomorrow.

Bigfnhammer

This could be anywhere
Had to take a drive out to Calgary this week, I am not confident enough to take it anywhere, and say it's a successful rebuild. Engine now has 5000+ Kilometers on it and runs like a champ, going to switch out to Mobil 1 Synthetic next week and I cant wait, cause it really doesnt like the Castrol GTX.
Hwy 1 near Glacier National Park

5BZJ7ty.jpg

The Duffey
3Hj6hmM.jpg

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Seeing those pictures makes me want to go back...I traveled up Highway 1 through Banff and Jasper. One of the most incredible places I've ever seen!

Pancake81

I just love this build. Really inspiring me man. May I ask what tires those are? Also, the headers, Doug thorley?

I am on the island for 2 weeks as if Friday. I will keep my eyes out for ya

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles