My Offroad Tear Drop Plan/Build.

TheThom

Adventurer
Also, I'm a little embarrassed because your 1/2 scale oak up is better than my finished product :-/

hesterj

Adventurer
Very nice job. I'm liking those fenders a lot.
I was wondering about the seal around the hatch. Could you give a little detal about it when you get to that part?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Good to see this posted here on ExPo finally Mike. I have been following this build closely...and by closely I mean at minimum weekly visits and conversations over tea at Mike's shop. lol We were camping last fall (September) and he was discussing the drawbacks of the original POD trailer with the RTT. After many hours around the campfire it was pretty clear that this build was imminent. Within days the POD was out and the TD was in!

If I had to say anything about this build, it is that it is quality first. Finishes are excellent, design is thoughtful and the execution as always is excellent. It is surprisingly light and to be honest I would be shocked if it was over 1300# loaded (water, food, gear). Considering that my CDN M101 is probably around there, and it is a 4x6 tub...lol. It is nearly complete now, hurry up and post the rest of the pics Mike!!

Superb build, good to see it on here! Cant wait to test fir pair of those fenders on my trailer, they are strong and weigh about 1/4 of what the OEM DEW fenders do.

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
A lot of talent on display here. Impressive.

Be careful with the hitch on the rear bumper, could be a real shin knocker. How high will the counter top be. That is where I ran into most of my design problems. Going with the same fridge helped lower the counter some, but would like it a little lower.

Great work, those fenders could become a product sir.

Looks good.

I think i lucked out on the hitch with the angles in the rear i have yet to bark my shin. but yes i should of made it closer to frame. My counter height is 42 inches a little on the high side but livable. The fenders are popular i have made a set for another fellow already.

Thanks

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
Are you putting skid plates on the water tank. I strongly suggest that you do. I drug mine around for three years never needing them. But once you do, it is a whole lot more work to do it from under the trailer. A real pain in the ***** to say the least.

I will be placing a skid from suspension cross bar to just behind the bumper. will be aluminum but it should help protect the tank.

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
Good to see this posted here on ExPo finally Mike. I have been following this build closely...and by closely I mean at minimum weekly visits and conversations over tea at Mike's shop. lol We were camping last fall (September) and he was discussing the drawbacks of the original POD trailer with the RTT. After many hours around the campfire it was pretty clear that this build was imminent. Within days the POD was out and the TD was in!

If I had to say anything about this build, it is that it is quality first. Finishes are excellent, design is thoughtful and the execution as always is excellent. It is surprisingly light and to be honest I would be shocked if it was over 1300# loaded (water, food, gear). Considering that my CDN M101 is probably around there, and it is a 4x6 tub...lol. It is nearly complete now, hurry up and post the rest of the pics Mike!!

Superb build, good to see it on here! Cant wait to test fir pair of those fenders on my trailer, they are strong and weigh about 1/4 of what the OEM DEW fenders do.

Thanks Greg .. the weekly chat sessions keep me motivated.. And thanks for your input and help at times.
Cheers

java

Expedition Leader
Very very nice. I really like the double lower doors. Way to use a lot of wasted space!

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
After fitting rear hatches/doors they all came of to be glassed and gelcoated.

While i was glassing and finishing doors i was also working on the main electrical panel it will go in one of the upper cabinet doors for easy access.
Installed speakers and switches on galley counter. (speakers were donation from greg)

All the breakers are marine ..

From here i moved into doing some of the main cabin cabinets and finishing. As i said before i am using a fabric (perforated vinyl) headliner. will help a bit with weight and i like the look.

I discovered i forgot a wiring circuit so had to add it prior to installing headliner.:oops: A word on headliner it looks easy but don't do this at home folks :)

Made up the face frame for cabinet in cabin .. 2 cupboards and 2 drawers housing for stereo and tv/dvd if i get there.
Being a boat-builder i have access to old growth Douglas fir and several other species of woods so i used Douglas fir for framing.

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
So after using a dark hardwood and cane for galley cabinets i thought to do something different in main cabin. So i broke out my louver jig rebuilt it and made louver door and drawer faces.

Again i used old growth lumber Yellow cedar this time.

Assembled door face.

Sealed

Installed

Headboard as well.

Glassed and gelcoated exterior of main body.

Started the job of water system. and electrical

I had put a drop box into rear under galley drawers originally it was to house my battery's but during the course of construction i determined it would affect my balance to much. so i used it to house my incoming propane line and my water pump and connections. worked out well in the end.

Pulling and organizing my wiring in cabinet.

After having hot water on my last trailer i was not going to be without on this one. Problem was were to put it . The only thing i disliked about it on last setup was having to set it up and put it away all the time, i wanted it to be ready to use with no assembly. So i made and glassed a box on the exterior that is lockable and with a built in top vent to void the heat. Permanent connections to water pump and out line to tap. The only thing i have to do is attach it to propane system to use.

After deciding that the battery's could not go in the rear i added a front deck to the tongue to house propane bottle and the 2 battery's. you can also see in the picture the rubber protection i added to the front. My jeep loves to throw rocks.:)

While playing with the aluminum i finished of my side boards.

More to follow..

Cheers

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
first off - your workmanship and quality and attention is absolutely amazing - I sincerely applaud you skill and craftsmanship. Very well done. I have a couple of questions on the finishing technique you are using, if you don't mind? How are you / what are you doing specifically to "finish" the wood parts / panels? I believe it some sort of sealer then fiberglassing the seams / edges and then gel coating? Or is there a layer of 'glass over the entire wood piece (sealed with the resin) and then gel coated? Does the gel coat get applied while the resin is still wet?

Thank you and keep up the amazing work - I would love to see what you do on boats if this is only your hobby (or part of it anyway). I grew up with an old Chris Craft in the family and have always loved wooden boats - you can't replicate the way one rides with a modern vessel.

Ryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles